Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar Assaulted verbally while out jogging

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Language is important - he was not ‘assaulted’ in any way, that’s a ridiculous way to describe what happened. Anyone living in a city will have had similar experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Assaulted 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Yep, sadly we get scummers shouting random abuse. I actually heard some lad shout 'look at your man with the hair' because someone had a pony tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The only 'shocking' thing in that video is the level of traffic on the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

He was assaulted verbally, which is still assault, and the possible homophobic nature of the assault makes it even more troubling, not surprised at some people's willingness to dismiss it out of hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Allinall

What did he promise that hasn't been delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

there's people making little of it here, but i'd imagine life is hell for politicians in public, for those of you earning the same as a politician would you add that abuse into your package and think it's ok?

a tanaiste going for a jog in the city says more about him than it does about the two scrotes in the van thinking they're hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

In other news, plenty of people out doing jogging, walking etc get verbally "assaulted" every day

Well, its not news really......and either is this

As you were

i don't think you personally would get a job that affects the whole population, so you can't really empathise here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Kinda sounded like he called him a 'puff'.. not sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭plodder

Legally, there's no such thing as a "verbal assault". As for it being a torrent of abuse, I could make out two profanities in total.

Compared to what happened to that chap the other night on Dame Street, this is pretty tame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Allinall

Who else got verbally assaulted while out jogging today?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,308 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fairly awful. He really should go to the Gardai with that, shouldn't be too hard to identify the car at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭animalinside

"scummer" a bit over the top. I thought it was going to be some dark, intimidating tirade when it was actually light-hearted and we heard laughter. I don't think it was appropriate but you don't know if they have personal reason to feel aggrieved. By calling them a "scummer" what you're actually doing is outing yourself as a classist individual who wants nothing more than to feel smug and look down on others.

"vile torrent of abuse" my ass.

Oh wow, he actually said look at the man with the hair! What a terrible, offensive thing, let's call the police and have him arrested!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭foxsake

it was hardly life threatening to be called names.

The right minded people get very protective of Leo cos he ticks a few boxes that make him a protected species.

The same pearl-clutchers wouldn't give it a moments thought if it was a Healy-Rae (or even Micheal Martin ) being slagged.

funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Prick was what it sound like to me.

Your a Prick ?

Your a **** wanker ?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I got called a "spastic" while out for a run last weekend because some dope couldn't control his dog. I told him where to go and carried on, got home just before the rain started. Would I call it "assault" ? No. Just a part of life really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭joseywhales

One thing I always loved about Ireland is that politicians are generally accessible and live semi normal lives. Incidents like this will only lead to some kind of us system where politicians have security details and are never out in public alone. No need for the abuse, it achieves nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭plodder

If the bleeped out word was homophobic, you can be sure the Independent would have mentioned that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Northernlily

He should have a security detail at the least if he's going to jog the quays in 2022.

Times have changed after the last 2 years, definitely more extreme views out there.

Not to mind it's pretty rough in parts of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

You're embellishing.

Anyway, the word "assault" means practically nothing when you expand it's scope to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

One of the nice things about Ireland is that people with a bit of fame can generally go about their business without getting personal abuse. There have been a few instances in recent times* where that has not been the case and I think that that is a shame.

*Varadkar getting the milkshake thrown at him and Pat Kenny being aggressively questioned by some guy while recording on his phone also springs to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 27,038 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not surprised by what happened.

Not surprised by the dismissal of it on here.

Both are very sadly par for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Them fellas are being pricks for sure but what part was homophobic ? I honestly didn't hear any of that, sounded like pr*** and fu**er to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭animalinside

It's the boy who called wolf scenario. People getting on their high horse, being greedy and over the top in their complaints, and it ends up where someone being said to have committed assault or a sex offender may have done nothing at all.

I love also how it's the people who delivered the abuse are the ones who recorded and released it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anyone who goes around shouting out car windows at people they don't know, is a scummer. We all know the type. It's not "harmless fun", only a certain type of gobsh1te does it.

Whether it's shouting out the window at a cyclist, wolf-whistling at some hot thing or shouting abuse at a politician, it's always the same kind of sh1t-for-brains that does it and thinks they're a comedian.

Advertisement