Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is rebar need in footings

• 06-04-2022 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

hi,

I'm building a garden boundary wall (side of garden not road facing) 40m long by 6ft high. The wall will be built out of double skin 4" blocks with piers every 6 meters approx.

Plan is to make the footings 600mm wide (width of bucket on digger) and 250mm deep with top of footings one block below ground level.

The site is fairly rocky and my question is do i need to put rebar in the foundations or would that be overkill for a garden wall?

thanks for any help,

Colum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

It is not strictly required. A solid decision to using or not using it would be down to the loads it is expected to carry, the size of the footing and the overall strength and uniformity of the soil. However, considering the amount of rebar mesh needed, ease of placement, and minimal cost, I think it is good practice to put a single layer of A393 mesh in all footings at a minimum. Further reinforcement if there is a demonstrated need for it, proven by design.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

from the forum charter:

1.5 Structural items . Issues relating to the specification of structural components is prohibited. Any queries in this regard need to be dealt with by an architect/engineer privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

sydthebeat

You must be having a laugh- ask an Architect about steel reinforcement in a foundation.

Why not ask a Chartered Building Surveyor or a Chartered Building Engineer.

Some people here gave codea advice which codea requested.

I will now give codea my advice.

Foundations depend on the bearing capacity of the ground below the foundations.

Concrete is approx 2.4 tonnes per m2.

100 mm standard blocks - approx 48 blocks weight 1tonne.

Add the weight of the mortar.

Thats a lot of weight bearing on the soil under the foundation, and very expense materials.

You could retain a Chartered Building Surveyor or a Chartered Building Engineer or a Civil Engineer or Structural Engineer to check the bearing capacity of the soil when the trench is being excavated.

When I check the bearing capacity of a foundation trench, and am satisfied with same, I will always specify A393 mesh, fitted approx 40 mm up from the bottom of the concrete foundation.

The wall is 40 m long.

Definitely put steel mesh reinforcement in the foundation.

I would also recommend fitting stainless steel - control/movement/ shrinkage/expansion joints every 12 metres.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 45,809 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Your posts bring back a lot of memories for me ... when I was at college.

Oh, what is "codea"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Personally the first thing i would do is dig the foundation and see if the ground is consistent through the 40 metres... if good gravel soil and pretty dry all through i wouldn't bother... any inconsistent i would use steel...

See attached

codea is the OP who asked the question about reinforcement

Your post reminds me also of when I was in college, and some students were not concentrating and unable to follow what is going on😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think you are missing the point. The reason it’s not permitted to specify structural components is because nobody here has inspected anything. The reason should be obvious.

FWIW I would be curious about an inspection that always leads to the same spec.

Not sure I agree with recommending a surveyor for a structural element. The obvious professional is a structural engineer if we’re going to go there.

Although, it’s so basic that many do it. Architects, generic “engineers”, etc. But that’s really down to over-engineered rules of thumb and Homebond guidance.

• Advertisement

I provided free professionals advice here to the OP codea who requested such advice.

I have received a WARNING as can be seen above for my advice on 6 April at 8.42.

I have asked the Moderator BryanF to explain to me exactly why I received the warning, and to let me know what I have done to receive such Warning and have not received any reply from BryanF.

Is this normal practice on Boards.ie OR am I entitled to receive an answer, because if I do not know what I have done wrong, how do I carry on giving members Free Professional Advice.

Can any member here explain to me why I received a warning, and what I can do do appeal same.

Kind Regards

C. Eastwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,809 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have you read the forum charter and posted in accordance with same?

Why do you listen to them... i get warnings all the time... just ignore they are mostly from Russia...

Why don't you send the free advice in private message... any get rich quick advise...

Mellor

Anytime I have engaged Chartered Structural Engineers to design a foundation, the first thing that they will request is a Geotechnical Site Survey and they will mark all of the locations where they need Dynamic Probing and the areas where they require Soil Sampling. This is a necessary and brilliant service for Commercial and Industrial Buildings but very expensive and superfluous for a garden wall.

The OP codea at the top of this thread stated as follows:-

“The site is fairly rocky and my question is do i need to put rebar in the foundations or would that be overkill for a garden wall?”

Rocky ground has very good bearing capacity

I answered and confirm that Mesh reinforcement should be installed in the concrete foundation. This answered codeas query.

this is what the forum is about.

Homebons House Building Manual states in a number of areas that any engineering design must be carried out by an Engineer qualified by examination, be in Private Practice and hold Professionals Indemnity Insurance.

Thanks maestroamado and muffler.

Yes I have read the forum charter and posted in accordance with same.

I have read my post above that I received a warning for - dated 6 April at 8.44 in reply to sydthebeat, and no matter how many times I read it and read the forum chapter- I cannot understand why I got a warning.

I’m still waiting for a reply from the Moderator BryanF -to let me know why I got a warning.

I do not wish to send private messages. I wish to give people free expert advice to their Queries, so that other people can also read it

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my text above re the Warning.

😂😂

Will we be left out of our cell to exercise

I have started a tunell... do you still have the 6 shooter... blow a few of the fcukers away...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Because you ignored the Mods post telling you to stop giving structural advice. Simple.

It’s not allowed on here. Like it and continue posting alternative posts, or don’t like it and stop posting. Your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Calvin001

Maestroamado, if you run into any technical difficulties on that tunnel, please read the forum charter before asking any structural questions here 😜

Post edited by Calvin001 on

• Advertisement

Hope the tunnel was designed by an Architect.

no wi-fi ... no google maps.. i coming up for morning breakfast now...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: @C. Eastwood Please read 2.2 of the forum charter before posting again with regard to moderation.

Advertisement