Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Academy Awards (Oscars 2022)

Comments

You seem to be under the impression that a black woman with alopecia would suffer worse than a white woman with alopecia due to their skin colour/"heritage".

I would disagree.

Slightly odd stance to have, and a touch racist but hey, I'm not going to judge.

And saying that as a black man, Chris Rock should know better. What does his ethnicity have to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Personally I don't know what I would do. I think I would at least stand up, go up to him and ask him in front of everyone why he thinks that is an appropriate thing to say. But I'm not a violent person by nature.

I wouldn't judge someone for hitting him though in the heat of the moment. I just think a lot of people are watching it on TV without seeing themselves in that position. Come on man, he took the p*ss out of his wife's appearance in front of them on national television. When has a comedian ever done that before?

No. I told you already, I'm not indulging you or anyone else in your attempts to drag this off topic with "what ifs."

My comments are specific to what happened between Will Smith and Chris Rock, when Rock thought it was clever to mock Will's wife - for a symptom of her medical condition - in front of millions of people.

Will's retaliatory slap was no worse than anything I've seen go on in pubs here in my time and I'm sure in yours too if you'd admit it. The only person who felt Will's slap, was Chris Rock.

Unlike the 37 million sufferers of alopecia around the world who heard and felt the verbal slap Rock gave Jada.

If you don't get that, (and I believe you do but don't want to be seen to conceed even an inch) then there is nothing more to say.

I'm not going to waste any more of my time going around in circles on it either.

If Will Smith had gone up on stage and asked Chris Rock to explain why he thought it was appropriate to make a joke like that, he would have been hailed as an absolute hero, chivalrous, sensitive and protective and completely in charge of the situation.

Instead he laughed, then got up, slapped chris rock, shouted expletives and acted like a bitch. That's apparently his default.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Jada was a predator and August her prey.

She is the scumbag.

Will is just an idiot.

• Advertisement

The significance of ethnicity here has been explained on thread at least twice.

You're just showing (more) of your own ignorance now by attempting to label this racist.

Go educate yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There are millions of male victims of voilence every year. Should we spare a thought for them as well? Seeing another man getting assaulted and no reprocussions would certainly be raw for many of them.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think Will Smith needs to get out of that "relationship" ASAP. It's clearly not good for him.

I'm educated. I heard what you said.

You brought up race. I am of the opinion that it has nothing to do with this incident.

I still don't think it is right to infer that a black woman would be more affected by alopecia than a white person, based on their ethnic heritage.

Yes, I did bring up race. But not in the way you are trying to say I did, and you damn well know it.

But, again, that's your style, the Dunne. Cheap shots and always trying to twist others words.

For anyone whose interested, here is the link to the official trailer for the documentary Chris Rock narrated on black women's hair. I'm sure the whole documentary is online somewhere.

I wonder how he felt that time when his own daughter came in and asked him "Daddy, why don't I have good hair?"

And then the dick goes and takes a cheap shot at Jada in front of millions just for the lols. There is no excuse for what he did.

Total asshole, as far as I'm concerned, who got what he deserved.

• Advertisement

I'm not twisting anything. No need to be so aggressive.

Either you think that a black women with alopecia is affected significantly worse than a white woman with alopecia due to their ethnic heritage or you don't.

I don't think it's the case.

And with your last line, you again confirm that you think that an deserved response to a joke or words you find distasteful or insulting is physical violence.

I found it a little insulting and offensive that you accuse me of twisting your words. Do you now deserve a slap?

Oh and then there is this:

No excuse for Chris Rock not apologising to Jada at this point.

He can't claim ignorance to the significance of her hair to either a black woman, or an alopecia sufferer.

None.

Where is your line when a joke or a statement crosses the boundary and becomes deserving of violence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Shame on her for laughing when Smith struck Rock.

She's a horrible wagon, and Will should get out.

Chris Rock didn't know about her alopecia according to his brother. He has nothing to apologise for. Chris was treated very shabbily by the academy and actors alike.

Sorry, just seeing this reply.

A verbal slap? Jesus Christ.

You do know that GI Jane starred Demi Moore who at the time was lauded for how attractive she was with a shaved head?

It is a stretch to even attempt to call it an insult. And I'm sure a good chunk of those 37 million you speak about would be delighted to be compared to Demi Moore.

Jada Smith has a shaved head, so a comparison with a famous shaved headed character at an Oscar ceremony was not too off colour.

And of course you won't answer a what if. Because your position is inconsistent if you apply it to any other similar or comparable scenario.

You think violence is deserved if you find something offensive.

Is that the brother who called Jada a bitch? Nice family.

The brother onstage throwing shapes and threatening "his hands" on anyone who approaches him?

What a hypocrite.

Lol.

Tough one...

Which family are worse...

The family who celebrate violence, have sex with their children's friends and exploit their marital problems for fame?

Or the family who said some things a bit nasty about **** people?

(Granted, Chris rocks family may be ****. I'm not an expert on them. But if we are going only what's in this thread, we know the Smith household is not a "stable" environment)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Well I wouldn't have blamed Chris if he would have defended himself. But unlike the other emasculated fool he knew where he was and how to conduct himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Sergibabo

It's a straightforward question, would a female comedian deserve a slap in the face if they made that joke about Jada?

A millionaire slapped another millionaire because he made a joke about his wife, who has had sex with her children's friend, because she has a shaved head and looks a bit like GI Jane.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭JRant

If I was rock I'd have hit the deck and made them carry me off in a stretcher, singing "Dolla Dolla Bills ya'll" all the way to the hospital.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's possible to understand Will Smith's reaction, but there's no justifying his actions at all.

No matter what the joke was, he was out of line. So many other routes he could have taken that would have better expressed his disapproval, and gotten what he wanted, unless what he wanted was to vent some steam, and pick on a weak target.

Academy made a balls of the situation, he should never have been allowed stay at the event, nor afforded the longest acceptance speech in Academy history after interrupting a scheduled host minutes earlier.

That said, I think he's since been adequately punished, and it should be the end of it for him. Any calls for his Oscar to be returned is complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Dave Chapelle got attacked on stage last night, some idiot ran on and sort of tackled him.

Didnt end up well for the lad once security got involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I had to look up who Mojo Jojo was.

😥

#prayfortony

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Smith breaks his silence in a very staged Q&A of fans questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I'm sure the oscar winning actor appeared convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Self indulgent ****.

"I saw fog"... suggesting it was some blind rage

"Jada didn't tell me to do something, it was based on my own history with Chris."

And then the self-victimising that follows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

He just never forgot Rock for this....

Advertisement