Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a pint !

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not a hope would i pay that. I'm not a tourist though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Not even if it came in a gold goblet served by a topless comely maiden.

Prices going up everywhere too.

Guinness in my local increased three times since Covid: E4.50 and now it's E5. E5.20 plus in the city centre(Galway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

With Minimum Unit Pricing on off sales and pints (in Dublin City Centre) being insanely high having a beer is fast becoming an expensive luxury

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭thefallingman

5.50 in rathmines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The article cited in the OP reappears in the Indo every few months. Lazy journalism bordering on clickbait.

It's utterly irrelevant what a pint costs in Temple Bar. Go in to a pub there most nights, especially when there's trad on, and it's full of tourists who buy one pint all night. The pub has to make money off these guys somehow.

So to answer the OP's question, no, no one is paying 9 euro a point.

I was in Paris during the week, you're looking at 15 euro a pint. That's as relevant to most Irish pubs as the OP.

Alot more reasonable. Havent been to never mind drank in Rathmines for years

Maybe they only buy one pint cause its so feckon expensive and they think fook that Im nursing this for the night 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Pints of scutter served up in the temple bar aswell. Pure unfriendly false tourist trap.

I brought a work colleague there and paid 36 euro for 2 pints and 2 whiskey and Jameson's.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MUP means you can't legally sell a 4.5% pint for less than €2.02 so it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do the prices in pubs.

Weaker beers would have a lower minimum price as it's 10c/g of alcohol, an amount that's just below the normal price for brand name beers in supermarkets. MUP really only increased prices for supermarket own brands , every other price increase is gouging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Temple Bar caters for a certain market not guys who skull three pints an hour huge overheads in these pubs and with a lot of their customers drinking one or two pints its no surprise they are mad money . The pubs do not want the people who will complain about the price so its a good way to keep them away .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

9 is standard for me here in NZ. $11 +/- for a 425ml "pint" so $14.70 for an actual pint or 9.20 EUR

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I've been looking at home brewing lately. Something I always had an interest in doing. Bought a bucket from amazon the other day actually. Wouldn't be surprised to see more people getting in to it now too with insane prices. Aldi / Lidl 2 liter cider used to be 3.80 and over 8 euro now.

If the price of a pint goes up people will drink at home. If the price goes up in off-licenses - which many spirits or cider have - people will find an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

I think what the poster ment is MUP is making even drinks at home expensive, MUP was designed under the guise of health (really it was to drive people back to the pubs under it all), the pubs in responde by increasing the prices of on sales drinks and yet I also still find off sales drink prices in the supermarkets cheaper (the big bad supermarkets).

Pub I drink in went from about 4.80 pre pandemic to now 5.30 for a Guniness, I know its only 50c in the grand scheme of things, but I dunno going out regularlly and paying over 5€ for one drink is to me a bit over the top, (I also happen to find people paying 3/4€ for one coffee a fairly pricey thing people seem to do) if I had 5/6 that's 25/30€.

Like I do not expect the drink for free and understand it is a bussiness at the end of the day, I just fell as a consumer overall I feel everyone is out to price gouge you at this stage, via goverment levies/taxies (eg MUP, Sugar Tax), shrinkifaction/less product or quaility from manufactuer for same price or a higher price. Then getting told by goverment to 'shop around', 'shower less' and generally been told to stop moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

MUP was cleared in 2018. It was only implemented recently but the bill was passed in 2018. The reason for MUP is for health reasons. Irish people drink too much and binge drinking is a huge issue. The MUP was introduced after all by the Minister for Health.

The price of a pint in a pub has increased because

1. Electricity, heating etc have all gone up
    2. rents have increased
    3. Staff are harder to find
    4. Staff want to be paid more
    5. Companies have debt after covid and trying to clear them off

I see posts all over the web about people demanding wage increases etc etc, they want the minimum wage increased and then a few mins later are complaining about the cost of everything has gone up. Both are tied together

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Hughes in Woodquay, Galway city was 4.40 for Guinness pre-COVID. It is now 4.70.

In Oranmore, the price increased from 4.40 to 4.60 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Prices in Ireland are the highest in the EU, 40% above the EU average.

Labour costs are 9th in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,080 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The other posters point was that MUP has made beer more expensive as well as pub increases.

MUP affects the price of beer by introducing a false floor in the market below which the various strengths of beer may not be sold.

It outlaws any price promotions which reduce the price below the MUP mandated level.

For instance this week last year in the lead up to Easter you could have purchased a case of mainstream brand 4.3% beer (24x50cl cans) for €20 - €24.

At the moment the same case will cost a minimum of €40.80.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

No.

Things are getting out of control.

Problem with this type of crap is that these prices won't go down.

We are the 6th highest minimum wage

We are also an island on the edge of Europe with a very small market so yes it costs more to transport goods to ireland than a country in mainland Europe

I can start listing out all the reasons it makes sense

It seems some people want huge wages but everyone else to earn a pittance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

It will just come to the stage people will be no longer willing to pay for these outlandish prices. It's happening already, it's even happening in the essential purchase sector, never mind non-essential sectors like booze and processed foodstuffs, and this will just increase.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭enricoh

E5.20 for Guinness now in my local in Meath. A few punters have gone on strike over it apparently- as one lad was saying they should have left it at a fiver n put up the shorts as most lads hit the shorts after a few pints n by then the price is irrelevant!

I reckon it'll go like england and heaps of pubs in prime locations going for apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,080 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are correct that the rationale put forward for introducing MUP was public health.

However it is worth pointing out that many Irish people don't drink too much and they are forced to pay more for their beer by MUP.

The Government interference in the market means they have to pay extra to enjoy a drink in their own home and now they pay extra if they go for a night out.

Neither the few cans a week at home or couple of pints in the pub are health issues.

You should have complained in 2018 when the bill was passed so

Ignoring the fact Ireland has huge issues with alcohol is a something the government doesn't have the luxury of doing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

MUP isn't going to have any impact on the nation's health. That shit isn't fooling anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Does anyone know where the MUP surplus is being spent? Genuine question. You would hope treatment centres but I highly doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Prices gone up in all the places I frequent from time to time

Anything from €5-€6.20

€5.10 is a pretty annoying price esp if you never have many coppers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's a minimum price. It's not a tax increase. It's not an excise duty increase. The government gets nothing. Not a single cent.

Technically there's more VAT but that's likely to be offset by reduced spending on other "luxuries"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭shmeee

€4.90 for Birra Moretti is underpriced and the publican is only doing himself there now. It's a more expensive than other lagers. With price increases it's priced about €5.50 - €6.00 locally here now (Midlands). Guinness at €4.80, Heineken/Coors etc €5.20.

• Advertisement

Do the prices still go up after a certain time in the evening or am I imagining that even having been a thing in Temple Bar? Been years since I was there for a beer.

Advertisement