Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cycling in new york

• 10-04-2022 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

I was over in New york recently on a holiday.I hired out a bicycle for 4 hours...cycled around manhattan ..brooklyn bridge...central park etc....the motorists seems way more understanding of the cyclists than what i see in dublin...obviously the roads are a lot wider than dublin...what are other people's experiecnes of cycling in other cities?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Pre-pandemic Manhattan was absolutely miserable to cycle in. The cycle lanes were constantly blocked with vans, police cars, and pedestrians. Mates still living over there have said it’s cleaned up a bit due to the lack of traffic and some efforts in finally enforcing the traffic laws. Some of the most aggressive drivers I’ve come across too particularly trucks

A lot of downtown Toronto is shared lane and brutal to cycle through.

Paris is actually quite nice now with the amount of work they’ve put in over the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My experience of cycling in Manhattan is of very rough/pot holed streets, very greasy surfaces, blocked cycle paths, inconsiderate drivers, errant pedestrians, salmoning cyclists and also very fast moving vehicles. We tend to think of Manhattan as being very congested but some of the streets are like dual carriageways with motorway speeds. I was surprised at the lack of helmet and lights on the vast majority of other cyclists and their ignoring of red lights. Generally though it was an interesting experience. Here's one of the rides I did (on a pretty basic rented hybrid).

https://www.strava.com/activities/822523428

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭thebourke

yes i saw very few people wearing helmets when i was there...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭knockoutned

Even prior to the the pandemic, the city installed numerous protected cycle lanes on the avenues . This is where they would use parked cars as a barrier between the cycle lane and the driving lanes. These work well in general, however you would need to be very careful every second block as car would be crossing the lane to the cross town streets.

When cycling these, you’re best taking the lane as cars / taxis will try and squeeze.

The big problem since the pandemic is that the parking spaces have been turned into outdoor dining areas, with bikes now passing between the restaurant and tables, which has turned into a bit of a free for all and unfortunately there has been numerous collisions!

There is a great cycle lane that goes the full length of Manhattan beside the west side Highway and is worth doing.

For those who are a little fitter, go over the George Washington Bridge and cycle the Henry Hudson state park loop. Really enjoyable cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

• Advertisement

I had intended to do a lot more streets especially east west but the wind chill factor was severe and, after it got dark and wet, I called it a day. I should have started out earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

It's something I've always wanted to do. Some really nice routes off the island over the bridges as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

There is a 5 borough sportive that is in may I think that I’d love to do it some time.

New York Grand Fondo I think it's called. It's quite expensive and you have to wear the assigned kit which comes with the entry. I'd like to do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭knockoutned

thats a different event Ash.

I believe it’s The Five Boroughs cycle. It’s a 40 mile cycle starting in the Financial District and finishing just over the Verazzano Bridge in Staten Island.

The whole route is a closed circuit, great day out for kids if you have a cargo bike or older kids as the route is primarily flat.

You finish up by getting the ferry back to Manhattan.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Seems relevant to the conversation

Riding a fixie race without brakes on open streets really gets the adrenaline going. Looks like great craic! (Yes, I know, law breaking at every junction).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That looks mental.

Advertisement