Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fuel Price Protest from Monday 11/04/22 in Dublin

• 10-04-2022 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭

I know a lot of people are off school and work but this looks like it will be incredibly disruptive the next few days and weeks.

I wonder how this will be coordinated; will they be off the main roads and in the city centre by the time rush hour begins? Or will it be timed to make commuting painful tomorrow and wfh should be done, if possible?

Truckers and hauliers are set to bring Dublin city to a “standstill” from Monday morning in protest of rising fuel costs which they say is putting them “in crisis”.

The group, which named itself The People of Ireland Against Fuel Prices, has said it will not leave without a resolution on the issue, and called on participants to be prepared to protest “for at least one week, maybe even two”.

The protesters are gathering at locations on the m1, m4, m7 and close to the m11/m50 junction at 3am on monday, before moving towards the capital.

A pedestrian march gathering at 9am at the gpo on o’connell street is also expected to take place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I suppose the port will be target number 1 to stop goods coming in and out of the country, then drive along the quays and do laps of government buildings.

I hope it lasts for 20 days and 20 nights, the more hardline the authorities are on day 1 the longer it will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Seems an odd name as it's really hauliers again. Surely it would be easier just to put their transport prices up as we are expecting price increases anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's also farmers, fishermen and those engaged with heavy plant machinery. Joe & Josephine Soap struggling to fuel their mode of transport to work also encouraged to join too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Who are "The People of Ireland in Favour of High Fuel Prices".

No, there's no such group just a load of people trying to get on with it and make the best of a bad job.

They will be caught up in the grandstanding tomorrow and for as long as it goes on.

If they want to make their protest they should aim it at the real target of their ire not people going about their lawful business.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Any estimation of the numbers likely to actually attend?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I know a lot of people are off school and work

including the dail too, i assume? TDs back home in their constituencies; great timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah the Dail will be back on April 26, although the government are knocking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Zero traffic on the m50. Flew into work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No significant impact on approaching the port area through the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

turn out is not great apparently.

not surprising given the demands can't be met and apparently the organisation of the protest is rubbish.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They asked their 'foot supporters' to assemble at the GPO at 9 a.m. The turnout was underwhelming....

https://twitter.com/evelyn_orourke/status/1513429549719212037

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There were like 15 trucks. You'd see more breaking the 5-axle ban in that time.

Advertisement