Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What ever became of the plastic hurl ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

According to this article, they were crap and didn't sell once word got out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭black & white

I remember the very unpleasant and painful vibrations very well. Horrible things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I remember getting a slap across the thigh by one. Jesus that stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the idea was developed further and a company called Cultec now make hurleys which are actually (to a non hurling expert like myself) ok.

https://www.cultec.ie/

A lot turn their nose up at the plastic hurley (including my other half!) but I wonder will attitudes change once wooden hurleys are either super expensive or unavailable due to the massive issues in sourcing enough ash. Joe Cannings family's hurley making business just went out of business there a couple of weeks ago as they couldnt get the supply of ash and other workshops are strugging too.

https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-40841483.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

My school had the waving ones. They were useless for training as they acted nothing like an ash one, painful on the arm and all round useless.

Cultec appear to be the real deal but I think they are resin more than solid plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Paddico

Hurl ??

Must be a Galway thing. Its most definitely a Hurley down our way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭black & white

Hurley in Clare, Hurl in Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

The oul Wavin hurley Eh? A friend of mine had one back in the day but if you hit the sliotar a decent skelp at all the vibrations up your arms was horrible

Hurley makers are indeed struggling to source ash according to reports. Canning's and other were relying on imported ash from Ukraine which has stalled now because of the war

Advertisement