Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to buy March 2022, summer grazing

• 13-02-2022 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Summer grazing bullocks.

With reduction in silage production this year, numbers of finishing cattle over winter 2022/2023 may be reduced, prices might come down.

in your personal opinion should I buy cattle for finishing or cattle for stores?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah prices are going to go through the floor any day now, you’ll get them chape cattle yet. The price of cattle will collapse this week, a lad called Putin told me last night in the pub. You’ll get the yellow hairy charleys around 600 kgs for €800, mark my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭kk.man

I see in the UK the price of ewes with lambs at foot is after rocketing. Nobody wants to lamb ewes anymore thus the beef farmers there have taken the view ewe families are a safe bet for their money this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭older by the day

Sher. Who knows. Teagasc, the government? if we knew the future we all would have yards full of fert and oil tanks full to the brim. But I suppose like they say "the day you buy is the day you sell".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Go into the nearest furniture store.....buy an armchair and sit on your arse....because there is f*ck all value out there to be got

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Or do like yur man on ear to the ground this week. Go Birdwatching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,218 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Seen some value in cattle around 250kg, seen some jaw dropping prices as well.

You'd be a long time filling the truck with value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Saw Angus heifers for sale, from the dairy herd, around 250-275 kg. Nice cattle but a lot of road in front of them yet. €720. Very expensive I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Dozer1

I'd a major cull of the suckler cows planned this year all set to cut back and head more to summer grazing.

But from looking at marts there is some value to buy a cow with a calf at foot, if your place is fenced to hold them.

at least your getting 2 animals for the price of an equivalent store and yes I know a bit more work in em but might be an option, and avoid the temptation of bulling them, just kill the cow later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

There’s a few at it, they get very dear around grass time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Older suckler pair do look like something that would leave a few euro, see pleanty of aged cows with a calf at foot making around €1,200 but you would wonder why a lad would be selling them, some of them could be a dodge and you would definitely be increasing your risk of getting TB which wouldn't suit a summer grazer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭memorystick

I know that guy. He used to do a lot of embryo implants. Mainly BB. He was at it early in the game. A very clever fella. More luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Some prices from Carnaross for suckler cows tonight. Now these cows have a bit of age and would be O grade, but they would definitely make more as culls at similar weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

This leads to the next question: with sale numbers continuing to be largely above normal for the time of year, what will be there come March, April and May?

Of course, numbers have never failed to appear once the grass starts to come, but with the fall in the suckler herd, we have seen, and will continue to see, fewer better-conformation stock going under the hammer

Just getting back here.

Purchased 16 weanling bullocks. 6 AAX and 10 Limousin, all from sucklers, 11, 12, 13 months.

Bought via dealer that my late father used.

Would have liked more AAX but settled.

1040 avg.

Had a few bales left so still in shed.

They look fair, I don't expect much value this year. Hopefully not extra cost.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

They should be fair cattle at that price and hopefully you'll have good bullocks come the autumn. I bought 2 AA weanlings for the same job today. A big empty rag of an AA bull 06/22 270kg (weighing bad imo) at €660 and a little plug of a bullock 10/22 270kg at €760. There not that bad of value in my eye's anyway and should be two nice cattle in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭epfff

You should have good power at that sorta money.

I never like including a dealer in the supply chain as I don't see what value they add and consider them very expensive haulage.

Do you hope to kill off grass or are they for the mart again next autumn?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭leoch

I watched a bit of Ennis bull sale at lunchtime an seen two bulls going threw 1 was a red fella with nice white patch on forehead April 21..410 kgs €1410 and nice white ch same age 360kgs..€1200...serious trade at the minute and them 2 lads are a long way of factory or selling again at mart in the fall....can't see much out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭kk.man

Was at the mart today and haven't been in a while. The big thing I noticed was the online bids. Dealers, tanglers and agents being outdone. I think it's a sea change since the introduction of the livestock marts. I'd say a few dealers might be out of a job and most don't look happy campers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Online bidding was the great equaliser. It has taken control around the ring away from dealers. Before if you appeared inside a mart and stated bidding they would counter bid the animal to an uneconomical price unless you stopped bidding. You would have to go to the mart 2-3 times before you could buy.

There problem now is lads tip away on line. As you can buy anytime you like you can stop bidding sooner know it's only 30-40 minutes on the screen rather than driving an hour to and from the mart, needing to arrive when what you wanted started to come in ( often being there 30-60 minutes early) so as to buy your animals.

Now you can sit at home and dip in and out of the auction. There other problem is more lads buy themselves so they have less opportunity to off-load expensive stock that they got caught with. Neither can they buy cheap stock.in one mart carry them 60-70 miles a offload them for a margin that will make it worth while.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Socially too seems to be a big change at marts, very few just out for the trip & social contact now.buyers & sellers near only ones present

Advertisement