Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EV Insurance Costs

• 08-04-2022 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭

Are EVs typically more expensive to insure that ICE here in Ireland. Was talking to an American colleague and he said car insurance there is significantly more expensive. Is that the case here in Ireland. I ask as I ordered an EV today and never considered this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Ignore the colleague and shop around when the time comes. Like comparisons in my experience show same or lower quotes.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I checked mine today as we are considering changing from a 161 Skoda Octavia to a 2019 Leaf, policy renews in Sept but they said there was no change to the premium (AIG).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Shop around is the key - some insurers were ridiculous with no real justification (Aviva quoted €1,500+ for a Model 3 SR) while I ended up going with another company for €400.

It's not as good as some others have gotten, but still cheaper than I paid for my previous ICE car.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My EV has always had cheaper insurance than my ICE car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Genghis

Changed a 3 year old ICE to a brand new EV (Kuga to Ioniq5), no change to premium. Think EVs tend to have greater tech installed, so safer on paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Senature

I know in the past when I changed my car there was no increase in premium at the time, but it would kick in at renewal stage.

OP go into a few insurance websites and get quotes based on your new car, this will give you an idea of the likely cost of insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

After yo get an online quote or three, I'd recommend calling your preferred insurer about the quote. They'll normally do a few extra quid off of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Thanks all. Yes will definitely shop around and normally alternate between two brokers and one online. My question was more about would I get a shock when I do this which sounds like I won't. PS. Ordered an ID4!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Typically some insurers have a reduced rate on EVs as a green initiative but recently have begun running into challenges as average claim cost on an EV is significantly higher than non EV vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I did some googling and in USA would appear that people are buying electric cars that are typically much more expensive that what they'd typically buy so they get a shock when insuring as the car value is so much higher.

• Advertisement
Advertisement