Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dream car or practical car?

Options
  • 09-01-2017 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Due to financial circumstances I have always 'cut my coat according to my cloth', I have always settled for a car that is economical, affordable and practical, but not one that I love. I really love cars and driving.

However, I am still relatively young, and the time for me to buy a car that I adore might never be perfect, so I'm thinking should I just go and get the car Iove, while I'm still young and have no other major financial commitments (such as mortage etc.)

I am due to change my car, I plan to trade in, use some savings and borrow. I have two options
    Car A is practical, affordable and economical. It will bring me up a lot in years, I will have the loan paid off in about a year.

Car B for me is definitely on my personal list of dream cars. I will still be coming up a good few years. It would be slightly dearer to run, and would cost a few thousand more than car A. But it is one of the cars that I have dreamed of getting during all of my years of driving 'practical and economical' cars. It would take me 3 years to pay off the loan.

I feel like the time might never be perfect anyway and I should just buy the car I love!
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

We're here for a good time and not a long time. What's your budget and what's an example of your dream car?
    If you want a new Ferrari and have a menial job then maybe it's unrealistic. Otherwise, if it's doable then go for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Years really mean nothing... Miles are far more important

I'm driving one of my dream cars and its now 13 years old. Makes me happier than a brand new car for multiple reasons.

If you don't have to sacrifice much for it, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Im intrigued to know what car B is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nissan Tiida.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Go for it. Even if it half breaks you, you will have it out of your system and will not be tempted again. From the sounds of it, its not some exotica so shouldn't be too painful at all.
    I know a guy who all his working life had the funds to buy amazing cars but never got round to it. In his retirement, he realised he couldn't get into the cars he had always meant to buy.
    Go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 MB2014

Thanks for replies all☺. Decision made, I'm off to buy the Nissan;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Micra?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

370Z?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nissan Tiida.

Is that you Gary Neville?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Just tell us!!!

I've about 20 different cars I want to buy/own/drive, and don't know where to start. Everything from a Clio Williams to an LS600h.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Anticipation of finding out both cars above is unbearable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

MB2014 wrote: »
    Due to financial circumstances I have always 'cut my coat according to my cloth', I have always settled for a car that is economical, affordable and practical, but not one that I love. I really love cars and driving.

However, I am still relatively young, and the time for me to buy a car that I adore might never be perfect, so I'm thinking should I just go and get the car Iove, while I'm still young and have no other major financial commitments (such as mortage etc.)

I am due to change my car, I plan to trade in, use some savings and borrow. I have two options
    Car A is practical, affordable and economical. It will bring me up a lot in years, I will have the loan paid off in about a year.

Car B for me is definitely on my personal list of dream cars. I will still be coming up a good few years. It would be slightly dearer to run, and would cost a few thousand more than car A. But it is one of the cars that I have dreamed of getting during all of my years of driving 'practical and economical' cars. It would take me 3 years to pay off the loan.

I feel like the time might never be perfect anyway and I should just buy the car I love!
    Any thoughts?

As an older guy ,I'd certainly go for the dream option ,why not? I had kids etc so was practical always,(with regrets now)be happy until circumstances dictate otherwise,grab the dream car by the balls

Ms

MB2014 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies all☺. Decision made, I'm off to buy the Nissan;)!

A Skyline :)

Do let us know what you buy and even post a pic in the 171 thread when you eventually get it or here even.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tombateman

If you are a FAMILY man, you would go for affordable car, cause it is safe and won't cost you too much. But, I know that sometimes we wanna go far and beyond.

If you have that wild desire to drive your dream car, you can go to car racing stadium to drive or you may use rental car services.

If you are single, go for your dream car and forget about doubts or regrets. DA Shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your still dreaming since this thread was started back in 2017 then your probably in a deep coma at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tombateman

😂😂 failed to check the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

I’d still love to know what car B was

Ms

I would love to know what both the cars where if he did buy and what did he buy. If it was the dream car it must be nearly paid off by now and time to change again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If you're a keen motorist, you're young, you can afford it (barely) I'd imagine if you don't get it now you might regret it later on in life when these type of cars are taxed, insured & priced out of the reach of normal people.

I'm old, but I certainly have an eye on something dirty for the weekend in the next few years.

Please tell me it's not a diesel!! Best of luck if you go for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement