Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One stop shop for refurb/extension

Options
  • 08-04-2022 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello all

I'm looking for any recommendations on companies that provide the whole shebang from design to completion for a refurb and extension in Dublin 16 that would hopefully be ready to get going in coming months.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

gkcf23

My first recommendation is that you should retain a Construction Professional in Private Practice with Professional Indemnity Insurance who is a Chartered member of one of the following professional bodies:- SCSI, CABE, Eng Irl. RIAI.

My second recommendation is, do not retain a Builder to carry out any design of house or an extension to a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gkcf22

@C. Eastwood thanks no I would want an architect for the design of it. I just saw a couple of companies online that provide full service so have a team of people (architects, quantity surveyors, builders etc) who do the full design and construction of the project in one. So just wondering if anyone has used one like that and would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Thanks gkcf22

Regards

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Don’t get a builder to design a building. Solid advice. For obvious reasons.

But suggesting a surveyor, or engineer can do it well is bad advice imo. It’s not the field of expertise, for the sane reason architects don’t design structural columns.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Companies like that definitely exists. But I’d have my doubts as to the experience and ability of the in-house teams. They would probably be cheaper overall, so there’s that going for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Calvin001

Why?

The general population believe Construction is full of people out to get you and it only works when its independent (design team even design team members independent to construction team). There are a few out there who do it. There are architects who regularly negotiate with the same contractors on work, and use the same engineers. It could be looked at in a number of ways, but usually its a solid team that gets repeat work because they do nice projects that don't cost an arm and leg as everyone knows what they are doing.

Do your research, know hat you want and how it works with everything else. check out a few references, ask for a list of 10 or more. People without historic problems could give you a list of hundreds. I worked with a guy once and even his bad references (one or two early mistakes) were good references as he came back and made good at his own expense....

The real thing about builders is that they only work right when they know what they are meant to be working to. Too many indecisions or too few details are the real cost items.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

I looked at one of these end to end solutions, they weren't that much dearer than doing it individually with architects and engineers and builders, but the time scale was far longer. A 10 week build job was quoted as a 20 week job with the all in one crowd, they work in fits and spurts from what I see, and hand you back the keys when finished. If you have somewhere else to live for half a year it might make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Retain an independent architect.

Get a SEAI approved One Stop Shop to project manage the grants for the retro fit

Most of the one stop shops will have a list of contractors they usually work with for the retro fit element. They will manage that piece

The architect will manage the extension piece and any other non retro fit fabric changes.

Dont hold your breathe on the updated list of One Stop Shops from the SEAI though - since Feb there are saying the list will be available in a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

can anyone tell me , can you apply for a few grants in this as opposed to doing a deep retrofit? parents looking at floor insulation, new doors and windows but had the house (built 1990) pumped about 8 years ago so dont need any of the insulation done nor heat pumps/solar etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

check the SEAI website

you can apply for individual grants outside the one stop shop process.

Windows and doors cannot be applied for unless you use a one stop shop

• Advertisement
Advertisement