Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Basic Questions About Solar

Options
  • 07-04-2022 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hi All, I hope someone here can help as reading the forum it seems to be filled with good advice and tips. We are currently in the process of planning an extension to our 3bed semi dormer. The house was built in the 1960s and currently uses oil for central heating. We bough the house in 2011 and since then have dry lined all the exteriors walls. Insulated the attic etc. Fitted new firebird oil boiler etc.

However a lot of the internal pluming works for central heating are the old type 'black iron' piping with conversion to qualpex / copper in places to fit rads etc. Our builder advised that it might be best to put solar pv panels on our south facing roof and use these to power electric ceramic radiators. And also an inverter to store electricity and sell it back to the grid etc.

I think hot water would just be eclectic showers or water heater.

I suppose I am just asking is this even doable or will it just end up costing us a fortune in electricity? The builder is fairly adamant that it is doable. Especially given the hassle saved in redoing the 'black iron' piping throughout the house. Just want to get people thoughts on here. I contacted one local installer (not sure if he is any good, and he didnt seem too interested) but, he told me it was complete madness. That solar is only good for heating hot water.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

hmmm. Did you try the FAQ thread? GO back and read that - a lot fo your questions could be answered there.

Also direct the "local installer" and tell him to read it. Solar PV - is not for heating water. Its for generating electricity. You could then use some of that electricty to heat water with another device - like an immersion for example... but its the generation of electricity that is the main goal.

I have an oil bolier for example. not really related or impacted by my solar panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Solar is definitely great for a whole lot of things but when you want to heat your house in winter there often isn't a lot of sunshine about. It is a great idea to put solar panels up if you are in building process - either thermal - to just heat water, or PV to generate electricity. Go get some more advise as to what suits your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Kerry_2008

Just as a follow up. Rang back the local installer this evening with some questions after reading the FAQ. He hadn't a clue about using solar for generating electricity. Was very vague or wishy washy with some answers. So I'd say he really only does solar to heat water and was hoping to wing this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

There is water solar panels, and they work really well for heating water.

Ask for recommendations on who to get for quotes in the quotes thread (via pm) and put in a rough location too.

Advertisement