Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eddi not heating water long - config required?

• 02-04-2022 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi

I have a good PV system installed along with 6Kw Inverter and 5kWH battery. Any excess power is passed to the eddi where it heats the immersion. One thing I notice is the eddi doesn’t stay on long before the “Max Temp Reached” appears on its screen. We do get piping hot water after it’s been on but we’re still supplementing with the boiler. It doesn’t seem like we would get a full tank of hot water from eddi alone.

I’ve checked the setting on the immersion rod and it’s set to max and is a 36 inch rod. We’re exporting up on 20kwH per day in the last week so I wanted to double check there isn’t something else I should be doing to ensure the eddi could be staying on any longer which would allow us to turn the boiler off.

Is there any additional config I need to check on the eddi?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Recently got eddi installed but on the boost options it's showing two options?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭championc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

How come the boost 2 is on when excess is going to the water? I just assumed it would be boost 1? I must look more into it I'm not familiar with it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭championc

You'll need to post screenshots, because I've no idea as to what you are referring to

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Is it a dual element immersion? Are you heating the sink element rather than the bath element? They usually share a single thermostat, which would cut out but with only top of tank hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 irewestlad

Hey @Jonathan

Im not sure if it’s dual - I presume it is as it’s a relatively new tank.

how would I check if it’s sink or bath?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭connesha

Check the load the eddi is sending.

Normally the sink is 2kw and the bath is 3kw

Hey @connesha

good point, I’ve never seen the load going to 3kw. How would I change it over so that it’s heating the bath element?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Do you have the myenergi app setup? You can set the priority there for tank 1 and tank 2. I'm sure that is easy to set on the unit itself as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭connesha

Use boost to determine, rather than waiting for excess.

When tank is not boiling, boost heater1 for a few mins, see what’s being sent.

Then boost heater 2.

if one is 2kw and other is 3kw, then set the 3kw one as the priority. This will avoid wiring change.

• Advertisement

@Ha Long Bay , no don’t have the hub (but I hear the new zappi will have it integrated - anyone hear anything about that?)

i changed the priority this morning between Heater 1 and Heater 2 on the eddi itself. @connesha I’ll try that boost trick and see what results I get, cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

It depends on what it's connected to, for a 2 element immersion (bath/sink), you probably have boost one connected to one and boost two connected to the other. If you've got immersion and some other component, then it'll correspond tot hat. Get on to your installer is probably your best bet

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

And for 2 element immersion using the sink is pointless as priority, as the thermostat is tied to both.

When the sink one gets too hot it will cut out both.

• Administrators Posts: 353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭System

This discussion was created from comments split from: Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Merged these posts from Hints, Tips and Troubleshooting over.

Will add an item to the FAQ later as same issue posted twice in 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I don’t think this necessarily true. I have 2 separate elements for my immersion (300l factory insulated tank). I know that many of the older ones had a dual element with a single stat.

My Eddi will heat the top one until the stat kicks in then it heats the bottom one until that stat kicks in. Then it tries the top one again and so on. Here’s yesterdays graphs:

In the Eddi manual it says that you can install a De-stratification pump which will pump hot water from the top to the bottom of the tank and can be driven by one of the Eddi channels and will ensure the whole tank gets heated even if you only have a single element. See page 50 of the manual.

https://myenergi.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/eddi_manual_v2.3_english.pdf

Ok so tried the boost option from the eddi - Heater 1 drew 2kw but Heater 2 drew nothing (0kw). Does this suggest it’s not set up right or the second rod is gone in the immersion? I’ve attached a pic of the cap of the immersion which suggests Heater 2 should be 2.8kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I have the same element. Is this something as simple as you already heating water with the boiler before the Eddi gets a chance to heat it during the day?

@mp3guy, I don’t believe so, I turned off the water oil boiler time yesterday and the hot water ran out today after two showers. It was after the hot water ran out I tried the boost trial which I mentioned about in my last post so in theory I should have seen the full 2.8kw go to the immersion

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭idc

Do you happen to still have a switch for bath/sink ? As I have a dual element the eddi is connected via original wiring with the bath/sink switch still in use!! Just leave on bath all the time (if I change tank I would get a better configuration of heating elements and thermostats)

As heater 2 drew 0k can you check if it's even connected to anything!

• Advertisement

I don’t seem to have a bath/sink switch. I think I’ll need to get a sparks out to check the wiring for me. It would appear that Heat 2 isn’t connected at all!!?

I was careful in my wording there, I specifically said the dual element immersion with a single stat, not dual immersions.

Dual immersions are a completely different ball game. Perfect for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

You actually said "2 element immersion" which is a little ambiguous.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

I had this problem, Looks like the sink / bath switch might be wired the wrong way.

When I press the switch to sink it heats the 2.8kw element and when I switch to bath it heats the 2kw element.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

If that's the case, no wiring required.....just change the "Priority" on the EDDI (I had the same problem).

But my problem is that there is nothing being sent when I put on Heater 2 (Bath). It hasn’t been wired correctly. I have a sparks coming out soon to have a look at it. Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's insights here, it turned out that the Sink immersion rod was wired up. It's been changed over to the bath rod and I'm enjoying a hot tank of water everyday now

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Newbie questions here.

I've an Eddie which appears to be tipping away at times (500-600W being consumed) and says "Max Temp Reached", yet i've no hot water. Tank 1 only shows activity. Tank 2 has no activity.

1. How can I tell if i've a dual element immersion or not?
    2. What's the eddi doing with this power given i've no hot water?
    3. WTF is going on?

Thanks all.

What happens when you hit boost on the eddi? What power does it use?

Max temp reached happens when the immersion cuts out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Nothing. No power is consumed. It looks as though it's going to boost, but then switches back to Max Temp Reached after a few seconds.

I've been told it's a single immersion tank.

So from my understanding, the immersion dictates when to turn off the zappi? But how? Isn't the immersion just a heating element that's either on or off? What sets the temperature?

Advertisement