Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oversizing

• 06-04-2022 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

How are you guys getting away with oversizing your inverter. I see a few of you with systems over 6KWp have the Solis 6Kw inverter where it's max power in seems to be around 8Kwp. Looking at the pvstats site some array's are bigger than that with this inverter.

The reason I ask is that I am struggling to decide if I should be going down the battery route or just throwing up more panels. The latter I had thought would require a second or new inverter, but now I am not so sure!?

edit: maybe they don't hit that full power and are split orientation??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭THE ALM

The inverter is limited by the input voltage of the panels which is generally 600v/string. This equates approx. to 12 panels/string although this needs to be checked against the panels being installed.

Although there may be an array of 8kW the inverter will only draw down it max which is limited to the 6kW, it might go slightly above and sit at 6.3kW on a clear day. Higher than this is generally a spike after a bit of cloud cover clears and then it settles again at 6.

The reason for going above the 6kW is for winter when you are trying to gather as much as possible.

If making a decision now I would max out the panels for the inverter, a battery can be added later as long as you have a hybrid inverter or plan on adding a stand alone battery inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

Interesting. At the moment I've 17 x 400W panels, all south facing. The inverter is capable of 9000Wp on the DC side and is limited to 6000Wp on the AC side. So, technically I could add another 5 panels (similar spec) and the inverter would be OK? I thought it might be that the panel orientation needed to be split to now get the full power at once.

So, maybe I should add another 5 panels and think about an AC coupled inverted down the line.

I have 2 EVs at the moment so there isn't a whole lot of need for the battery. The big driver on that front it the grid goes down where I am way too often and I'd like the EPS load for critical loads.

One more silly question: is adding 5 more panesl (say 2000Wp) worth it? I mean will this be noticable in the winter months and/or cloudier periods?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I have 24 panels (340w) all facing south split in two arrays of twelve, don't think I have seen the voltage much above 450v.

The inverter should be ok to take the 5 extra panels but whether the figures stack up against the cost of adding them might be debatable for the extra gain.

The good days in March and the inverter sat at 6.3kW for several hours.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

24 panels on a NE/SW on a low slope roof, 360w

Have seen it clip on the good days in may/june but thats about it, Max of 6kw on a 4G solis. You'd get about 20% extra power on the days you dont be hitting 6kw.

Didnt see much clipping on the good days in July/Aug as it was a lot hotter vs may

Advertisement