Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most disturbing movie you have seen?

• 04-04-2022 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Watched Butchers (2021) last night and it was pretty decent horror/slasher type movie. It was pretty grim in places but by no means the most disturbing movie, but it got me thinking about the most brutal film I have seen. Whats the most disturbing movie you have seen? A couple that spring to mind for me.

Irreversible - Pretty brutal rape scene in this and also a very graphic murder.

I spit on your grave - Another with a pretty gruesome rape scene.

Sinister.- Watched this recently and it was much darker than I anticipated. It was stuck in my head for a few days after.

Any other suggestions from people? A few others that I've heard are pretty brutal but haven't seen personally are Cannibal Holocaust, Martyrs, The Poughkeepsie Tapes and A Serbian film.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 poppysee

Mother (2017) was horrid, gruesome and made me feel sick.

"Last Exit to Brooklyn" ........definitely NOT a first date movie & that's from experience 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Deliverance

a Serbian movie

kill list

• Registered Users Posts: 16,265 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

There was a rape scene in it which wasn't an easy watch, very good film though way better than the re make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I watched Bambi in the Ambassador Cinema.

I left crying when his mammy was killed... The brutality. 😱😭

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

My wedding video 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭black & white

Depends on my age, aged 7 the Daleks frightened the **** out of me, aged 10 it was Dracula or Frankenstein. Nowadays a Suspense film rather than horror is the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Savior. 1998 film set during the Bosnian war.

Some very disturbing scenes and don't think it is a film I would enjoy watching again.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭_gir

Human centipede and Tusk make me gag, can’t do body horror.

Martyrs left an impression too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Have to say, Deliverance. It's a movie I've only seen once and many years ago and I still think it one of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen , but equally it was Brilliant.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

That was GOOD!!!!! kicking myself I didn't get that one in first😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Cannibal Holocaust is great. Top score by Riz Ortolini too.

Also Cannibal Ferox.

Last House On The Left (1972) is bleak as is the copycat Late Night Trains / Night Train Murders

House On The Edge Of The Park and New York Ripper are on the high scale of grimness too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

threads. especially as i was eight when i saw it IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Be right back

Perfume, story of a murderer.

Wolf creek.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Breaking the Waves

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Scum - life in a British borstal

Clockwork Orange - avant garde violence

One Hour Photo - Robin Williams at his creepiest best

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rocky1813

The Devils Rejects

Funny Games

3-4 scenes in that beyond horrific. Easily the most disturbed I've ever been watching a movie. Sure you can do irreversible and send people down to a fisting club, and do 20minute rape scenes, but this is something else entirely. Very real and haunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I saw The Omen when I was about 11 or 12 back in the 1980's . Turned me off horror for life. Decapitation scene was something I will never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 PierreLeCake

The Exorcist. Saw it when I was an innocent teenage Catholic in the late 70's.I had nightmares after.I don't know if its aged but I could n't look at it again.I really upped the prayer saying for a few months after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

A disinterested baby sitter left me to watch Robocop on the telly when I was about 8 or so.

The early scene in particular where Peter Weller gets his arm shot off with a shotgun really disturbed me at the time, that was a sleepless night

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

"Once Were Warriors" is pretty grim

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭antfin

Lars Von Trier's Antichrist has some definite sphincter clenching scenes! One of the few movies that I really struggled to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭RossGeller

The Human Centipede - Who is that movie even for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Audition

Went in completely blind when I saw it on TV. Didn't even know who directed it at the time. Thought, "OK, the guy is a bit weird. This whole audition thing is definitely creepy and wrong but, hey, you know, he's suffering and not handling death of his wife well. I mean look at that girl, so quiet, sitting there with... huh... with a sack... huh... OHMYF*CKINGGODDIDTHATJUSTMOVE???WTF"

I remember being creeped out by Event Horizon too but I'd say that doesn't hold up. Haven't rewatched it but I'd say it's probably pretty cheezy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Also, Graveyard of the Fireflies is a movie I just can't bring myself to watch again. It's just too heartbreaking. It's hard to believe that it was originally shown as a double-bill in Japan with the wonderful "My Neighbour Totoro"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that I've seen - possibly "A Short film about Killing" which is just incredibly bleak.

I've read a synopsis of "A Serbian Film" and I strongly recommend that you not only don't watch it, but don't read the synopsis either, bloody hell...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭_gir

Advertisement