Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apartments in the development not available to purchase

• 05-04-2022 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Can someone pls advise what does the agent’s response with regards to the apartment I was interested in may mean?

It was basically “we are not selling the apartments, the developer has sold them directly”

im devastated, can’t afford a house and this was my only option as no other apts being built anywhere close :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Probably sold directly to the council for social, or to a company/fund as build-to-rent only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭uli84

Ah great :( I do hope it is not for social at least, sorry not sorry, nightmare either way, shouldn’t advertise them if that was the plan but I suppose nobody cares. Thanks for the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,654 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It seems that the councils are buying up anything that comes available - in my own row of 4, 3 are now social housing in the last 2/3 years.

Not only are private buyers competing with other private buyers and investment co's, they're competing with councils who are using their taxes to outbid them.

Post edited by _Kaiser_ on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭uli84

This situation is sick but sure nothing I can do. It’s crazy thinking that social welfare recipients live in better conditions, brand new houses/apts than someone who gives 50% of their salary in taxes every month.

Do they even offer older properties at all these days to social or it’s all new developments?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Most properties on the market are second-hand these days. Many of them are sold to private individuals, but there are also investors who are buying for their own private portfolios. For example, where my grandmother lives, four of the five or so houses sold on her street in the last year are all rented out these days, and the rumour is that the same Chinese investor owns them all.

Post edited by RichardAnd on

• Advertisement
Advertisement