Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rolec EV Charger from UK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Vat at 23 % maybe duty @ 10 % that will depend on rules of origin, minimum 50 euro for delivery, are you buying 2 x 3.6 kW or 2 x 7.2 kW or a single socket?

By right you should be able to buy VAT free in the UK, but its hard explain that to some over there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The biggest problem will be making sure that the sender (EV One Stop) ship it with the correct customs forms etc

otherwise it will be rejected by our customs.

I bought a charger for a family

member from them just as brexit took hold so the company themselves are ok.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you are close to Newry just get it sent to a dropshipper and collect it in person

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭russelldlee

They are saying they won't charge VAT and will be buying 7.2 Kw - shipping is 20 EUR apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭russelldlee

*Won't be charging UK VAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 scuzz

Also interested in Rolec from Evonestop, did you purchase from evonestop in the end?

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I bought one from them pre brexit, so probably not useful to you. They're a grand unit, but youtube them and you'll see plenty of bad experiences with them. RBCOs burning out is the main issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I got one from them a few years ago. Was worth the money, but it does tend to trip from time to time, especially on really cold nights. Has left me without a charge on a couple of mornings. The RCBO is just garbage in them.

Free Palestine from Hamas

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Same experience... Rolec has poor quality. The plastic doesnt stand the test of time and the RCBO's burn out.

I'm sure plenty also working fine but I'd hazard a guess they have the highest failure rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 scuzz

Thanks for the info Guys, ordering the Qubev 18th Edition also from Evonestop, keeping it simple no frills

• Advertisement

My Rolec has been tripping every single night the past while, so I ordered a direct replacement. Cost me €60 !! £20 for part, £20 for rip off delivery and then customs etc ended up being €17. Should have gone to screwfix, or the wholesaler, but haven't had the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Orebro

They’ve fixed the RCBO on these a good while back so it’s not an issue anymore. Grand simple reliable unit.

I have just replaced the RCBO (by that, I mean a fully qualified electrician 😉) in my Rolec charger. The old one was only very lightly burnt on the right side and the wiring was not at all melted. When I say burnt, I would describe the shell as having a beige smudge on it. Nothing quite like the images I have seen elsewhere, but still very obviously damaged from excessive heat. If it trips over the weekend, I'll come back and say so. Hoping I won't have anymore issues with it.

Did anything lead you to assume the rcbo might be on the way out?

Our Rolec tripped for the first time in a long long time last week. I've not opened it up (yet) to have a look.

Mine started tripping after maybe a year. At first, I thought it was an issue with the setup at the Consumer Unit. The electrician added a mini CU under the main CU which gives priority to the electric shower. It started happening more frequently, maybe once a month, or more often on really cold nights. The tripping at the CU side is what threw me at first.

The RCBO in the Rolec would only trip maybe 10% of the time, so it was 3 years installed before I really discovered the RCBO issues on the internet. I had heard about it before, but mine would so rarely trip, I ignored the signs. In the past couple of months, the RCBO would trip on the CU every night, leaving the EV partially charged and me being stuck. My OH would reset the switch at around 6AM to get more charge into the car, but it would often trip again without us knowing. I was expecting to see the RCBO melted upon opening the unit, but the visible damage was very slight.

This morning, I woke up and checked the Rolec. Blue light is still on. That is the first time it has not tripped overnight in 2 months. The OH said it didn't need to be reset this morning, so it certainly looks like the problem was the Rolec RCBO and not the CU setup. The car will need a good 15-20kWh tonight for my commute in the morning. If it doesn't trip in the morning, then I reckon it's smooth sailing.

I have read that the RCBOs with the blue rolec logo are the problematic ones and the green ones are the new units which have not been reported as problematic yet according to the speakev forum.

What colour logo is yours?

Old one was blue. Replacement is green. I doubt they sell the old ones anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭handpref

Mirrors a fault I had- pick up a similar rated rcbo from your local electrical wholesaler and swap them out - love the serviceability of the Rolec’s-

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭oinkely

i did this in my one when it failed after three years. I also had another part fail in it, a contactor if i recall correctly, pre brexit and after two years of use so sourced the replacement part from Rolec in the UK. It was around €100.

The plastic case has developed a crack in mine, was going to replace it but a strip of duck tape is holding strong so it will do for the moment. Mine is on the front of the house facing south so in direct sunshine all day. It's there about 6 years so can't fault it too much. That's a lof of UV exposure and plastic generally doesn't like that. Works every night.

Plastic case is brutal for getting cracks, and those screws corroded on me terribly. Had to drill out 1 or 2.

• Advertisement

Another night without tripping and i'm delighted. The location of my Rolec is on the garden wall facing West, so it's not battered by the Sun and has no cracking. The colour has changed and I can feel it's more brittle than when I first got it. so I could understand how easily they would crack.

For anyone who has a cracked front case, I would recommend the following fix:

Remove case (after cutting power to unit).

Clean the case with warm, soapy water.

Repair with an automotive fibreglass kit from the inside of the unit.

Mask off all the bits you don't want painted.

Lightly sand the case, clean, prime, sand, clean and apply colour of choice spray paint.

Finish off with a UV clear coat and reinstall. Will look brand new and won't fade again.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭oinkely

I'll add that to the long list of jobs to do. Fancied a grey one at one stage - might just have it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭handpref

The only part you will need Rolec or Ev Onestop for is the control module for the power to the car, the contactors and rcbo’s all have alternatives here bought over the counter- try that with a zappi :)

Almost every part of the early Rolec’s fail… the plastic, the RCBO and the controller. The contactor tends to last but everything else is junk but easy to source and replace

personally, I’d rather pay more for a more reliable and safer product. Seeing a scorched RCD isn’t something I want attached to my house wall.

Yup. Had I known at the time i'd probably have sourced something else. EO mini probably if it was available at the time. If I was picking now though, I'd go tethered with a 10M cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭sh81722

A Rolec doesn't sound like a great investment, so best to be avoided. Our ESB branded ABL charger has just worked without a single issue since the free install in 2015 and also looks brand new still. I did relocate it a couple of times with change of parking arrangements but didn't have any issues opening it and it has never tripped or not worked.

Not much seem to have changed in the field of UK electronics since Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Orebro

I've had a Rolec for over 5 years now and it hasn't missed a beat like your one, and they've sold many thousands of them. There were issues with early versions of the RCBO but they've been long remedied. And as another poster has mentioned it is very easy to get spares for them, and they are such simple devices it's not a big job to fix them.

Time to open her up and have a look. Tripped again last night after about 3 hours of charging. Reset no bother and charging away again, but 1. I can't rely on it, 2. Could be more serious.

Be gentle with the screws when opening it and when tightening it back up. The plastic will have gotten brittle and easy to crack it.

• Advertisement

Because of the quality of the screws I think I only have 4 to tackle from the last time I opened it (put in a Shelly to "smarten" my charger).

Advertisement