Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar panels Management company

Options
  • 04-04-2022 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

I libe in a private estate with a omc or onsite management company. They have expressed the view that they would only want slaor panles on the rear roof if at all. Do OMCs' have any legal standing here blocking such? I believe there would be no issue with planning regulations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Irrespective of if they have a legal right (I'm not sure, but don't think so) a management company arguing against renewable energies in this day and age......someone needs to "have a word with them". What was the rationale put forward for that viewpoint do you mind me asking?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There's a difference between what they "want" and your general entitlement around planning

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

They might have legal standing if they own the roof or if your lease has restrictions on what you can do to your own roof.

Do you live an apartment or house? What aspect is the front & rear of the roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Every new apartment development should have, at least, solar hot water.

Retrofitting this to apartment blocks will likely never happen, because of the cost. If there are x apartments, and it costs y to do, then the cost per apartment will be y/x. People who don't want it or can't afford it will get outvoted at meetings and be presented with large bills. Unfortunately with most management companies in Ireland either just surviving or dangerously insolvent there will be more priorities than good energy management I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Darith

Its a terraced house and i own the land on it. The omc does not even have the common areas in its name yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

If your property is part of an OMC then you won't own the land outright, you 'own' it by way of a long lease and the lease will specify whether the roof is part of your demise or the OMC demise.

The lease may have all sorts of other conditions e.g. whether you can make changes to appearance to the external of the property (and that would include solar panels)

So you need to get a copy of the lease, it will be in your deeds so if you have a mortgage then the bank would be able to send you a copy.

Once you have the lease then check;

1. Does the roof belong to you or the OMC -- this will be detailed in the property description and there should be a map.
    2. Is there a clause in the lease dealing with the roof or appearance etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Are you sure it's a mgmt company and not a residents group? One requires annual payment and comes with lots of rules, like no satellite dishes or building walls and the like... the other is a whatsapp group that hopes to share out duties like common area grass cutting.

It's a management company under the specified act with its own auditors, solicitor and accountant. We have annual fees confirmed at annual agm.

Thats a bit of a dodgy one then. They probably CAN say that they want houses all the same colour - and bins must be hidden. Pretty daft to care about solar panels on a roof though - in this day and age.

What is the front aspect of your roof (and the rear)? I presume not all houses face the same direction in the estate - so this will HEAVILY restrict those houses that have front facing S,E or W.

• Advertisement

Yeah, pretty daft if that's the case.

However, you can use their bureaucracy against them. Table a motion at the next AGM about changing the policy of panels on the roof from the residents. I can't see there being much opposition. I mean who "really" argues against green energy? If you get 80%+ of people on your side, it would be VERY hard for the management company to start veto'ing it.

At least you will get a clear and definitive decision and that the management company will have to basically come out and say "We're not environmentally friendly" .... not something that anyone will do I think.

Worth a shot anyway

If the houses in the estate are all the same look - then it might make sense to approach the MGMT company with a sample quote - for say 8 in front and 8 in rear panel design. Rather than each house deploy a different number of panels - it might look nicer if they were all similar.

I past a new estate recently - and all the houses had exactly the same panel design. it looked BETTER than a neighbour estate that had NONE.

Course for new estates yankinlk I believe most of the building construction companies have to install a small solar installation now by regs "from the get go", as they have to meet the aggressive BER ratings. Easier to do that with some minimal solar PV.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Total hearsay but I've heard solar pv counts for a multiple of their value if the house is heated via a heatpump.

Yeah, that makes some sense (about the heat pump) graeme, though I do think that builders are effectively forced by way of having to meet the SEAI ratings to install a small solar PV

gov.ie - New Energy Efficiency Standards for New Dwellings (www.gov.ie)

They need to get to A2. You can probably do it without solar pv, but I suspect that its probably cheaper to install some minimal solar PV, as opposed to going the extra mile with insulation etc (which they should do of course!)

Advertisement