Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Issue with neighbour

Options
  • 04-04-2022 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Deleted

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I think you might need to give more information on the type of noise or sound being made or else every guess and potential yet irrelevant solution under the sun may be offered.

My neighbours yard adjoined my gable wall. I had no visibility into that section of yard where a racket for hours every evening used to drive me nuts. I eventually called into them and they explained it was a treadmill for dogs that they were training. I asked them could they move the treadmill over to the far end of their yard as placing it against my gable created a constant vibrating rat-tat-tat noise directly onto my wall that the treadmill was resting against. It reduced the sound by about 95% so made it bearable I'd never have guessed in a million years what the noise was nor realised dogs actually got trained this way if I hadn't called to the neighbour. The neighbour moved out shortly after as did the dogs and noise thankfully.

TL: DR contact your neighbour and amicably explain the situation. There's a chance they will address it if you explain your concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

You'll need to be a bit more specific than that if you want a solution. Is it an impact noise, vibration, rumbling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Is it a coffee grinder

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭HorseSea

3d printer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tanta51

Deleted

Post edited by Tanta51 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it a house, is it an apartment, do you know if they are renting or owners?

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Active Noise cancelling headphones for each of you and foam earplugs at night. Both are very effective. I have issues with screaming kids during the day and bangs and traffic noises in early morning.

Make a plan and start saving what you can toward a new home. The market can't inflate forever and when it starts to return to sanity you'll be ready to go.

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭uli84

Oh and I thought my neighbour wind chimes were bad…I really feel for you as I hate even the wind chimes nuisance mentioned but all I can think of is try to talk to your neighbours, I know it’s sensitive but maybe they should seek some additional medical help for that person or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Wtf. Mentally unwell or not, that’s not acceptable. If the bowling goes on for days it also means that the person is clearly not getting the help they need. Call the police because you are “worried” about this person.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If they own the property and it's a home it's more difficult to do anything. Renting you can complain to their landlord. Apartment you can complain to management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Presumably if they are renters they are less likely to stay a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Have the gards/community psychiatric nurse/gp/phn etc. visited the property for safeguarding and confirmed this is an actual mental health issue? Sounds like they need to visit again to re-evaluate whatever treatment the person is on.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

A little off-topic here but my query is also about noise-an unidentifiable one which goes on continuously in a building. Not loud, no variation in pitch or tone, but you are aware that there's something there! Not pleasant!

Is what the poster said not literally factual? I mean ive had crazy neighbours complain to the management company over raised voices. So you can certainly complain about noise to a management company. Then ive heard anecdotally of people complaining about party noise to a landlord of a property. So you can certainly complain to a landlord. So where is the rubbish?

Oh absolutely nothing , but you can still complain to someone else hahah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Ya, maybe the ill person should be constantly sedated just to keep the neighbours happy….

Does the ill person live alone OP?

If not and if it’s annoying you OP, how do you think your other neighbours feel about it? I’m sure they’ve done everything they can to ease the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

My friend used to listen to his radio in his apartment in the evenings. He received a complaint from the management company about noise disturbance. He was surprised and he didn’t think that it was loud at all. When he realised that it was disturbing other tenants, he switched the volume right down. Sometimes, people are just unaware

Freaks would go to the management company first in my opinion. Try at least once with the person actually making the noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

So what? They clearly need to find the right treatment for said person. They can’t just expect neighbours to tolerate excessive noise when the sick person has an episode that lasts days.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Call an exorcist.

Did I say they should be sedated? No, but you go right ahead and put words in my mouth. Because drugs for mental health either do nothing at all, or fully sedate in your world of absolutes eh Addle?

Also there's no qualifications required to know from the description given that this person is not well, and if healthcare services haven't visited then they absolutely should.

These are not a controversial points. Wellbeing of people should be checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

I would contact Garda in a welfare approach. They may be able to access support services. Having seen a close family member be tortured by mental health and not getting any support or access to limited services - it might actually help.

To be honest it put my mind at ease that they had been checked in on. While I am aware there are some neurological conditions that can lead to insistent noise - then hopefully support can be given to them to soundproof their home as best as possible. What an awful existence for them poor soul.

Multiquote, read the post above yours in my post, and relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Have you considered calling a priest :)

Remember a few years ago I read a story in one of the UK papers.

For over a year the neighbors had reported screaming and weird noises and nothing done about it. Then the noise stopped for a few weeks and started again. Still nothing done about it by the police.

One day the police called to the person who reported its house and asked them if they ever got any strange smells.

Turned out the owner of the house had been kidnapping people and torturing them and then murdering them and leaving the bodies in the attic.

Thought that might lighten the mood :)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

I lived in a really nice apartment complex for 7 years. It was a really well-located place. I was extremely happy to live there. Then, the pandemic started. New neighbours moved in. There was constant noise. Some asshole decided that they would do their gym session at 4am every morning. Multiple neighbours complained to the management company. The company lied to our neighbour and said that he was the only one to complain (I forwarded him the emails I sent to disprove their lies). One evening, it was so bad, a neighbour below us called to our apartment, asking if we were the people causing the noise. She had reached the end of her tether. We explained that it was the people above us. Yet, every time that these people were confronted, they brazenly denied it. I started to really hate our apartment. I would go into work sleep deprived. Generic “please be quiet” emails sent to all residents by the management company were utterly useless.

In the end, it was the spur to us to leave the apartment and to move elsewhere. It was just awful!.

It went from me living in my dream place to a nightmare place that I wanted to avoid.

Haha yeah that's it. Thankfully though, I can still fully read a post before squeaking "WTF is wrong with you question mark, and extra question mark".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

unfortunately ireland currently doesnt have the services to deal with such situations appropriately, i know a chap with schizophrenia that screams the house down on and off throughout the day, hes largely left alone, i use to pass him walking the country roads a lot on his own, this is truly where we re at in regards mental health issues, services have effectively collapsed during covid....

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement