Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

thermal imaging

Options
  • 04-04-2022 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi iv been doing upgrades to my house the last couple of months to get ready for heat pump iv done

attic insulation

heat recovery

new front composite door

Serviced windows

i Was thinking of doing thermal imaging just to make sure everything is in order before I get the heat pump.just wondering if anyone would recommend it and if so anybody recommend a company in Galway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

You might be better served getting a blower door test done (air tight test) especially if you are getting mvhr installed. Maybe combine it with thermal imaging at the same time.

Imo, anyone considering a hp solution to their heating needs should always have an air tightness test done before doing any upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

A thermal image survey would help examine the quality of the roof install, but the payback would be not so great compared to a blower test, but if you can get a friend to loan you one, defin do it. Some plumbers have them these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

I bought a FLIR One a few years ago for my Android phone - handy for checking things periodically and not too expensive. Libraries have a point and measure device for loan but not has powerful as the imaging devices. Commercial FLIR are the best of course.....

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Blues14

Thanks for reply’s iv seen one company that said to do just the thermal imaging at a price of 200 euro 300 euro with report and another company that will do thermal imaging with the blower but it will cost 700euro big difference.with my house will I even ever be able to get it airtight anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Well if it's not airtight you don't want a heat pump.

• Advertisement

That's all well and good but do not forget that a ti camera or device in untrained hands can very easily lead to significant and costly misinterpretations of what is seen on the screen. When I've done some work for friends I would allow them to use the camera to see what they conclude and very regularly they would concentrate on the wrong stuff and miss the important detail due simply to their lack of training rather than intellect. Be careful!

Advertisement