Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Last of the Summer Wine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Week of 14 Mar

Holiday running mostly. Hopefully the weather will improve. 

Mon 14 Mar

60 mins trails

At least I think it was about 60 mins. Forgot to pack watch charger and have been using phone app to save the Garmin battery. Recording on phone is far easier to accidentally pause, I find, and missed part of this run around the trails and beaches on the magnificent Punto de Papagayo. Very very windy, had to be careful on some of the ridges - we are not talking the Alps here but still a few tricky bits.

Tue 15 Mar

80 mins steady

I had time to get a 15 min warmup and cooldown on top of the now standard twice weekly steady ‘sub tempo’ run, so this would be quite a long one. Wore the HR strap because it would be pointless trying to pace this one with the route that was in it (fairly busy and lumpy and concretey seaside promenade) and the weather (headwind on return leg would be punishing). Just tried to keep HRR in the 70-75% range. Ended up using the entire promenade all the way to the end, taking a minute or two rest to gird the loins for the windy return. Timed this one to perfection, hitting 110 mins right outside the apartment. Tough but manageable - second half much more difficult that the pace would suggest. But don’t get me wrong, I’m on hols and not trying to flog myself. 😜 Plus I only brought trail shoes. Missed my Zoom Flys big time on this run!

Wed 16 Mar

55 mins recovery run up into the local Montana Roja volcano. Boldly going where paulieyifter has gone before. The wind would blow you into the crater if you weren’t careful. Loved this.

• This week: 33k (21m)
    • This month: 169 (106)
    • This year: 760 (474)
    Post edited by Murph_D on

Cool. I’ve posted a strava link on the latest run so you should be able to check out the details of the various routes. I’ve borrowed some of them from previous boardsies (@PaulieYifter etc) so it’s always good to pass it on!

Week of 14 Mar cont. 

Thurs 17 Mar

72 mins easy/recovery

After a trip to the beach and a swim with the boys, I opted to run the 11k back to the apartment, the first part over beaches and trails. The sun was beating down by the end, so I enjoyed a few Paddy’s Day beers to cool down. 

Fri 18 Mar 

113 mins with 80 @ steady

With the end of the hols approaching, the weather is changing for the better - warmer, less wind in the morning, although by the time I got out it was picking up again. Same route as yesterday, this time in both directions. Stopped in the middle for a swim, mainly because I could. Homeward leg was harder, probably copped out a bit, tiring noticeably towards the end.  

Sat 19 Mar

70 mins+ easy/recovery. Drove into town and came across an Ironman race in at the Marina (we’d noticed them setting up the course the night before). It looked like the tail end, but an hour later when I got back from the trails/beach/swim there were still plenty of runners doing their final leg. Ran a km or so alongside the course, fair play to them, most were still moving well. 

Sun 20 Mar

LR - 90 mins

Back to the more familiar environs of the seafront - out to Bayside and back. Very windy out, but tipped away comfortably enough. Bumped into M on the way back and stopped for a chat. Good mileage this week - didn’t feel the need to do any more than 10 miles today. Haven’t run that kind of mileage since August 2020 in the build-up to virtual DCM. One of my highest mileage weeks ever, in fact - and feeling good, despite having downed plenty of holiday beers this week. Plenty of slow mileage in there of course - the time on feet is probably a record!

So back to normal now, or whatever passes as normal these days. More base building, still another six weeks or so before the M work starts. We've started to make the arrangements for the Cobh 10-mile trip in a couple of weeks. Not sure how to attack that one, maybe time to start researching the course and planning a strategy. Another Winter League race coming up soon too - not sure how I'll cope with the one mile distance at this stage. But rumour has it I'll have FBOT to chase. 😉

• This week: 95k (59m) - 566 mins
    • This month: 232 (144)
    • This year: 822 (511)

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Yes got that there, good to see some of the routes, I was planning to do the beach run you have done a couple of times but I didn't know about the volcano run to the west of Playa Blanca so will try and do that one myself 👍️

Definitely the highlight of the week - hope you manage to fit in the volcano run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

We've started to make the arrangements for the Cobh 10-mile trip in a couple of weeks. Not sure how to attack that one, maybe time to start researching the course and planning a strategy.

To get you started:

Route on mapmyrun

Route on ridewithgps - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29468908

My 2cents fwiw - fast downhill start so suggest being well forward in the starting pin to get some advantage and not be blocked in. The hills are not that bad and not that long. Sharp longish downhill at just over the 5 mile mark and then a bit of a plod the rest of the way.

Excellent, thanks for that - looks challenging enough. Good advice re the start also. Looking forward to the trip.

Week of 21 Mar

Still plenty of activity in the logs, hard to keep up with it all. Apologies if I've avoided a few for a while, been quite busy and it's a chore to even update my own.

The cold weather seems to have broken while I was away. Great to be in short sleeves again. Continuing the base build.

Mon 21 Mar

70 mins with 50 @ sub-T. 

GAA hour. It would be nice if the lad’s training session was a bit longer, as there isn’t enough time for the sub-T runs now that they’re up to 80 mins. I’ll have to start doing this one on a different day. I wondered would I be up for the effort after last week’s high mileage, but it was fine, and actually the shorter duration was probably a good thing.

Tue 22 Mar

42 mins recovery.

It finally caught up with me. Very tired during this, not helped by the muggy day. Was kicking a ball for a while afterwards with the ‘kids’ and my left shin was quite sore afterwards and a bit bruised. Careful now! Decided to take tomorrow off.

Wed 23 Mar

No running. See above. 

Thurs 24 Mar

100 mins with 80 @ sub-T

Up the Malahide Road, around to Kilbarrack and back via the Howth Road. The first few miles of the steady stuff felt fantastic - strong as the proverbial ox, despite the uphill going. But once hitting the Howth Road back towards town things got bitty - it’s a terrible surface really - bumpy hard footpaths, poor lighting in places, narrow going, street furniture everywhere. I’ll have to find somewhere else when doing these runs in the dark. Apart from that, really enjoyed this! I think it’s building the aerobic capacity nicely.

• This week: 40k (25m)
    • This month: 272 (169)
    • This year: 863 (536)

Week of 21 Mar cont.

Fri 25 Mar 

60 mins easy/recovery

Met up with M for a slow trot mostly on grass around St. Anne’s Park.

Sat 26 Mar

No running. The mrs was graduating and it took up most of the day (and night).

Sun 27 Mar

133 mins LR / 23 kms

One of the upsides of drinking less is when you do, the hangovers don’t seem to be as bad. So even though we had a good night with some family and old friends and plenty of beers were consumed, I felt pretty up for this week’s long run. A glorious morning, so I took myself up the Royal Canal to Cabra and over to the Park, which is looking magnificent - you can see it’s about to explode into bloom. Spotted @AuldManKing just ahead as I emerged from the Glen but he was moving a little too well for my liking so I left him to vanish into the distance. Later, near Garda HQ where there's no footpath on one side of the road for a 100m or so, I got shouted at by a cyclist, presumably for being in "his" road. Eejit. Tired after the couple of hours but glad to have it done - only the third run over two hours since the start of the year.

Couple more races next week.

• This week: 73k (46m) - 466 mins
    • This month: 305 (190)
    • This year: 896 (557) 

Week of 28 Mar

This week we have a one-mile club race, and (hopefully) Cobh 10-mile on Sunday. Cobh-id is rampant, seems to be closing in on me, so who knows? Still testing negative anyway.

Mon 28 Mar

62 mins easy. 

No sub-T run tonight, won’t bother with the two races on the cards. Opted for an easy hour in Clontarf and Dollymount during the GAA hour.

Tue 29 Mar

No running - late decision to bring the young fella and one of his friends to Lansdowne Road for the Lithuania friendly. Never before (in my experience) have so many balls been netted without impacting on the score. Great to get the winner with the last kick of the game, other than that a fairly dull affair despite all the (correctly) disallowed goals. The lad really enjoyed his evening, which was the main objective.

Wed 30 Mar

Winter League! (1 Mile)

Round Nine of the series. I’d missed the previous race, which had allowed someone to come into the frame and challenge for the coveted Division Three title. I’d have to make sure to finish at least one place in front of him in the next two races to hold him off. FBOT had signed up for this one so we warmed up with a couple of laps of the course before changing into the Vaporflys and doing some strides. Both of us felt lethargic warming up, so par for the course really.

There were 36 bodies in attendance - about normal for the series this year, which has seemed less popular than usual, no doubt some of that being pandemic-related. The League is less sociable without the tea and cakes in the (now abandoned and derelict) clubhouse at the end. But I’d been looking forward to this one, a first opportunity to race the mile against other people since the Day of Irish PBs in 2019. There’d been a few solo TTs over the past two years, but not on any known or well measured courses, so those times were pretty meaningless. There’d been the National Masters 1500 last year too - an extremely mediocre day out. With no speedwork of any kind in about six months, I knew I wouldn’t be at my sharpest, but was confident that the aerobic engine (thanks to DD's Lydiard guidance) is in as good a shape as it’s ever been, so I wouldn’t be likely to disgrace myself.

Stripped down to the singlet, but it was a cold night so I kept the hat, buff and gloves. Lined up close to G, the Division Three challenger, and off we went after the usual ultra-brief preliminaries. The strides had done the job of preparing the body for the shock so I felt OK during the congested first 400m. I’d decided to concentrate on each 400m separately, using the occasionally channeled Jimmy McGuinness ‘Focus, Commit, Believe, Achieve’ mantra to guide each 'lap'. Set the autolap to 400m so I’d hear the beeps and calibrate accordingly. The Focus bit was good: in the thick of it, embodied and aware. Early on, M ahead looking relaxed, going with the bunch, avoiding any trouble. After about 200m I went around G (no point in letting him develop too much confidence) and a few others, tucking in close to K, a faster runner than me who usually starts conservatively. It would be good to track him for the first leg of the triangular course, which I did, not worrying unduly when he began to pull away as expected. There were plenty of people behind, but no obvious target ahead. Commit! It was important not to become the target myself, and there were plenty of footsteps in close pursuit. On All Saints Road, the blustery wind started to make itself known, as the watch beeped halfway. Time to Believe - but in what? It was starting to hurt big time and on the track this is always the worst stage of the race, feeling the burn but still a long way to go. I just kept my eyes on K ahead and tried to prevent the gap from getting any bigger. The race was going by in a flash. Coach P is positioned by the road and offers the usual ‘Keep it going Denis’ with a bit over 400 to go. He name checks the runner behind too, so I know there's only a second or two between us. The fog is descending so I never get back to the Jimmy Mantra and Achieve - just concentrate now on rounding the corner onto Wade Ave and not being passed in the last 300. Run a good line (not everyone does, although there's a slight bend) and close things out as strongly as possible into the noticeable headwind. I was really feeling the fade here and glad the footsteps behind were falling back. Clubmate C usually shouts the time with about 100m to go, sometimes less. I heard a 5:27 as I passed, and knew I'd be in for a decent result, but the finish still seemed a good way off. A last effort - while it felt like a pace injection, more likely I was just decelerating at a slower rate. Over the line in 5:52 for 9th place - better than expected, as good as hoped. A good few more scalps taken - all the Division 2 participants and even a Division 1. Take that, handicapper!

• PB (road): 5:43 (Winter League, April 2019)
    • Target: 5:5x low
    • Actual: 5:52
    • 9th place (of 36), VDOT 49.6, Age grade: 79.3%
    • Verdict: solid

A few miles cooldown with M. We were both feeling the burn but I recovered a bit quicker than him, so his placing (5th) was well worked for. It’s quite a rush, doing these short races. Total for the evening: 10.2k

• This week: 21k (13m)
    • This month: 326 (202)
    • This year: 916 (570)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Super job Murph, saw it on Strava, super impressive and in that cold.

With regards the shoe change, is that just to Dave the vaporfly lifespan or is there another reason?

Yes, I'm very parsimonious with the Vaporflys, and I don't like doing the early warmup in them because they make you run too fast. I'd usually do a fe miles, then change in and do the dynamic warmup and strides. I'd normally change out for the cooldown too for the same reason but didn't bother last night because it was so cold - felt wiser to keep moving. Generally I like to keep the good shoes for the race - that way I really feel the good of them when it matters most. I know lots of people do all their session in supershoes now but I won't be one of them, although I DO use 'semi' supershoes for the tough stuff. I'm familiar with the 'faster recovery' argument for supershoe sessions but I'm sceptical about such claims, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done D that was a great read & a great result! Love the mantra, will defo use that in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Great running Murph. Maybe I missed it but was that a pb?

As for the carbon plate/recovery I'll have to disagree with you there. No science to back it but in the super super shoes I've noticed a significant enough difference the day after a session even vs the mini-super shoes i.e. Next% vs Endorphin Pro/Speed.

Not a PB, no. Road PB is 5:43 on the same course. Track PB is 5:39.

You're welcome to disagree re recovery - I'm just voicing my scepticism! I often feel great the day after a session myself, I don't think it's exclusively down to the shoes. And I know plenty of people doing lots of supershoe session running who get injured (and plenty who don't). I'm trying to avoid confusing correlation with causation.

Ah yeah I'd agree with you there. Supershoes won't prevent injury I think. If you overload you overload and shoes won't save you.

What I have noticed is very similar or equivalent sessions in a close enough time frame my recovery pace is usually much slower the day after a non supershoe session. Also feel it much less in the calves. And that's happened a few times for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Amazing writing. No interest in runni g but enjoyed very much reading

Week of 28 Mar cont.

Thurs 31 Mar

60 mins easy

Feeling good after last night’s effort. Got out in the afternoon from work, heading to Rathmines, turning at Palmerstown Park. A lovely part of the world, I always enjoy running in Dublin 6.

March total: 336k (209 mi)

Fri 1 Apr

Chained to the desk, and once I got home I opted for a beer or two with dinner, so no running. (Does anyone run after a beer, I wonder? Hopefully not. Why would you bother? Although there was that boardsie a while back who ran home 10 miles or something from the pub after a skinful, can't remember who it was!)

Sat 2 Apr

50 mins easy including parkrun no. 172 at Fairview. I must volunteer here again soon as I’ve visited a few times recently, and they have a small team who are very friendly and supportive. The RD’s elderly mother is a marshalling legend, directing traffic in a tricky area near the footbridge and cheering on half the field by name. Thanks M! Bumped into a few familiar faces which is always nice. A few extra kms around by Alfie Byrne Road before heading home to iron my singlet for Cobh. 😉

Sun 3 Apr

Sonia O’Sullivan Cobh 10 Mile

Report to follow.

• This week: 59k (37m) - 566 mins
    • This month: 28 (17)
    • This year: 955 (594)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

I didn't realise the marshal extraordinaire was a member of the run director family. The great thing about Fairview parkrun is the small community feel. It is not a fast course but it is a fun and interesting course. I think they have done very well with the space available. The best thing about it is that you get to run by that particular marshal three times. I would challenge anybody to not smile and be motivated by her wonderful support.

Looking forward to your race report.

Sunday, April 3

Sonia O’Sullivan Cobh 10 Mile

Writing a race report, always with hindsight, it’s easy to gild the lily, creating drama where it didn’t really exist. I am, of course, as guilty of this as anyone, and probably more than most. I’ll try to be objective about this one, because in some ways it was a first, despite being my 150th race (or race effort - I’ve included a few TTs in my racing log in the past couple of years, because there was no alternative at the time). And yes, I do keep a count of these things, isn’t that what Excel is for? 😁

If you’ve ever been to Cobh, and climbed to that outrageously oversized cathedral from the shore, you’ll know it’s a hilly kind of place. Mountain runners aside, I think most of us favour flat courses when deciding where to invest our hard-earned race-entry cash. Scanning the course description blurb, the two words we’re looking for are ‘Fast’ and ‘Flat’. Race organisers know this, of course. “Genuinely flat course all the way with just one bridge” (Charleville HM). “Flat, fast loop ” (Docklands 5k). “Flattest City Marathon in Ireland” (Cork). Fast is king, and flat is queen. Why would you sign up for anything else? (Actually it’s a pity this year will see no Terenure 5 - a race famously described by @AuldManKing as the “hilliest flat race in Ireland”, or words to that effect - a description that resonates with anyone who’s ever headed up Terenure Road West at 5-mile race pace.)

I should say here that I love running in Cork. I’ve done the full marathon twice and organised a marathon relay team another year. I’ll probably do the Half this year. Charleville HM twice, Ballycotton 10 twice. Cork has a lot of good races, always so well organised, often fast, sometimes flat. However the Cobh 10 is an honest race. It doesn’t claim to be flat, although it’s probably fair to say the entry process slightly downplays its undulations. All grist to the mill once you’ve actually done the race, of course. Sunday’s goodie bag included a postcard with an aerial picture of the beautiful seaside town of Cobh, with the text “A true test of 10 mile running. It has everything”. The quote is attributed to Sonia O’Sullivan, who lends her name to this, her hometown race, her club race. The description sums it up well, and what a 10-miler it is too. In some ways, it’s a mini-Boston: a net downhill point-to-point, beginning with a descent, giving way to multiple relentless hills interspersed with some flat bits, and of course everything that goes up, comes down, although you sometimes have to wait a very long time. This race comes down close to sea level three times, only to go back up again every time. That is not flat. And it’s not fast. 

Oops. I’m already falling into the hindsight/drama trap, because I’d expected this and it shouldn’t be a cause for undue comment. Except what HAD changed was my approach. Instead of treating it as a challenging training effort, I’d decided in the last few days to actually try to give it a lash and race this course. So a trip that had been planned (for 2020) as a kind of holiday weekend with a sizeable group of clubmates and St. Anne’s parkrun folk had gradually transformed into a less festive occasion, as (understandably) the two-year delay saw almost everyone changing plans for one reason or another. Myself, the mrs, M and A (@FBOT01 and @Mrs Mc) were the last ones standing in terms of travel plans. Then one of the boys goes down with the covid, the babysitter plans are out the window, and Anna, who is on a steady comeback trajectory but not yet at race readiness, gives me the green light to go down without her. This was generous, and I didn’t object. So I drove down on the Saturday afternoon, arriving in time for a pint with M and A, before a nice dinner, with a second pint, in the hotel. I was in bed before 10, but slept badly, cursing the uncomfortable pillows. So far, so Cork (I once tried to sleep in the bath to get away from the throbbing bass sounds wafting across the river from the Sextant, now demolished, sadly for Cork pub culture, happily for sleepy marathoners).  

I digress. Fast forward here to the race. The 10 mile race that has everything would have fantastic weather this year. It would have its hills, but it wouldn’t have any wind or rain, as the sun shone pleasantly down on the picturesque seaside town. Cobh is handsome at the worst of times, but on a day like today the place is breath-taking. The sea shimmered in the sun, yet the cool April morning was perfect for racing. My decision to race seemed like it might actually pay off, as the conditions could not possibly be any better. We all hiked up to race HQ at the Great Island Community Centre to pick up our race numbers. A relaxed vibe, although I had to fill in my details yet again for a race I'd signed up for more than two years ago. Surely myrunresults hadn't lost the data? 🧐 I warmed up with M, a couple of kms down the road, waving at our clubmate Mick Clohisey who would be returning from an injury break with this one. Then I left M to his pacing devices and lined up. 

Showtime.

The starting area was very relaxed, with no ‘pen-anxiety’ in evidence. People were well spread out back along the road, so it was easy enough to get a good starting position that would avoid any congestion in the opening stretch through the housing estate and get a good start and bank a bit of time in the opening two miles, as @DeepBlue had advised a few posts above. 

Countdown from three, a whistle blown, and we’re off. The going is indeed good at the beginning, an eminently runnable downhill gradient. I glanced at the watch and confirmed the fast start but that was OK - important to get a bit ahead of the game here. And unexpectedly there’s Sonia, with Rob Heffernan running alongside, just ahead. For a few seconds I didn’t know what to do, eventually summoning the courage to ease past with a wave and some words of appreciation, but feeling like a complete fraud (Sonia is one of my genuine sporting heroes). Sure, she's jogging around, but maybe she'll get bored and get more competitive later. I soon parked that thought because here was the first sharp descent, a long hill that straddled miles one and two (6:45, 6:40) before levelling out as the course reached sea level for the first time. I felt fantastic in these opening miles. Slightly concerned to be ahead of the pace so early but reassuring myself that the effort levels were low. But not for long - here’s the first climb as mile three takes the first bite. I’m not strong on hills and tried not to look too far ahead. Near the top, the 70-minute pace group caught up with me and I ran with them to the crest - 7:42, all the 'banked' time withdrawn already. Yikes. 

Mile four has some ups and downs before another sharpish climb to the highest point on the course (7:38). I’m feeling OK, but the course is certainly taking a toll. How much more of this will there be? DeepBlue said the hills aren’t that bad, but any kind of hill knocks the stuffing out of me. Pre-race, @Duanington had suggested I ‘back myself’ a bit earlier than usual, taking confidence from the strength built up in recent times. FBOT had agreed I should be more aggressive. I respect the advice of these highly competent runners, but it’s hard to know when to pull the trigger on a course you don’t know. For now though, I DO know that the next two miles are about making some hay, but I’m bunched after those hills and it takes me a while to consolidate and get my act together. On a downhill, a Watergrasshill runner flies past - I’d heard the chat at the start and knew they were hoping to follow the 70-min pacers for as long as possible. We’ve both been dropped by now but the pacers are still in sight up ahead. On a steeper descent Watergrass puts the brakes on and I go past. Probably could have gained more time in this mile, in retrospect - 6:50, and I note the halfway split at 35:35. 

Mile 6 (6:52) has another steep descent, and I tussle again with Watergrass, before a long, steady drag commences and they pull in front. The pace group drops out of sight. This is probably the moment of truth - four miles to go, feeling the pinch. Can I find some inspiration somewhere? Can I back myself? As usual, I haven’t had a sense of running with a group, more occasional skirmishes like the one I’ve just described, the odd runner who falls away or pushes on, depending on the lie of the land and the runner’s particular strengths or weaknesses at that time. A to-ing and fro-ing. In my part of the pack you are often racing with wiry aul lads and a good range of club men and women in their thirties, forties and fifties. The fellow M60s can be harder to spot, because we are relatively thin on the ground. There’s a West Waterford and a runner in a yellow shirt who might be contenders, although they’re probably of slightly younger vintage, but you never know. Not that there’s any prizes, but you can get a bit of motivation and if it works, it works. I try to stick with them now through the long drag of mile seven (7:19) that flattens out then gets steeper then descends sharply back to the coast at the end of mile eight (6:55).

Legs drained by the drags, and I know the quads will be screaming at me tomorrow after these sharp descents. Catching sight of the shimmering sea again at the end of the road I think, great, surely now a nice flat coastal run in will offer an opportunity to keep it going and finish well, maybe a good bit of that leaked time can be clawed back, and who knows? But no. It’s flat for a little bit then around a bend there is the demoralising sight of yet another long, relentless drag. But then again, only two miles to go. I try to pick things up and pass another runner or two, but I’ve been on the edge and the extra effort brings a brief spell of nausea that’s a bit disconcerting and allows at least one of the passed runners go by again as I falter slightly. But there’s a recovery quickly enough and I pass again. “9 mile mark just around the bend” says a steward, expertly stopping and starting the flow of cross traffic at a junction (7:23, a mile that needed to be faster). It’s not over yet of course. I’ve passed a few runners now in the past mile or two and don’t have a sense of anyone around me at this point. There’s Yellow a good bit up ahead, looks a bit laboured, but I don’t yet have the will to reel them in. I know from the pre-race reccie that the last couple of hundred meters will be downhill but for now, the climb continues. Then my name is being shouted and there in the middle of this final-mile drag is Mrs Mc and @Annie get your Run, who had ambled over from Mallow to watch the drama. My brain is a bit addled and while I mean to shout “F*ckin hills!” I can’t find the words properly and shout “F*ckin course” (they heard it as “F*ckin Cork”, I discover later). There can’t be too much hill left though, so again I try to inject a bit of pace, but there are footsteps and two Togher AC runners go past pretty solidly in that race finish frame of mind, along with a Sanctuary Runner shirt who looks vaguely familiar and I realise later it’s @opus, who I met briefly at Ward River parkrun last time I was in Cork. The younger Togher seems to be pacing the elder. I wonder again is this an age rival - hard to know as bald as a billiard ball can be deceptive. I try to stay in touch so I can contend on the downhill that can’t be far away now. 

And there it is at last. As sympathetic a finishing stretch as you could hope for, especially after what you’ve just been through. It seems I still had a little bit left as I throw caution to the wind and go by the three of them again. But they’re enjoying the hill too and respond. The crowds are leaning over the barriers, generously cheering everyone that moves, a cracking atmosphere. Ahead, Yellow shirt from earlier is hosed, and I realise there’s enough distance left to pass before the line and that’s enough for me to win this little mini-race, crossing in 71:09.

The immediate feeling is just intense relief to be finished one of the toughest courses I’ve ever run. Someone hands me a bottle of water and I have to drop to the ground for a few seconds to take the usual moment, wondering will I get sick. The stewards are attentive and I assure them I’m OK. I walk through the chute and take some fruit. The hotel had been a bit stingy about late checkout so I ditched any cooldown plans and strolled the 100m back for a shower. Checked the live result once in the room and was slightly disappointed to be listed 101st and 4th M60, disappointing as it would have been nice to see that final spurt deliver a less “missed it by one” result. But when the results settle the next day, I’ve in fact finished in 100th place, third M60 (must have been a ringer in there). I’m happy to be only 36 seconds off the Dungarvan PB on what felt like a much tougher course, even if the conditions were better. An improvement in real terms, I think. It’s my second best 10-mile time. Faster than Ballycotton 2016, which was the PB until only a few weeks ago. I’ll take it. And a few months ago I'd have taken your hand off for it.

And that’ll do nicely. Sonia never passed in the end, although she wasn’t far behind. A sprint finish with a legend would have been too much to ask for. And Rob didn’t bring his barcode, apparently. 

• Previous PB: 70:33 (Dungarvan 2022)
    • Target: 69:59
    • Result: 71:09
    • 100th place (of 633) / 3rd M60 (of 18)
    • VDOT 47.9
    • AG 76.4%
    • Verdict: Not flat. F*ckin hills!

(Loved it.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Another terrific read to match the performance!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

What a great race report, ran every step with you and well done on the result, nice to get that 3rd place in the end 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Brilliant. Really enjoyed that one. I've been to Cobh a good few times (an aunt lived there for many years) so I was well aware that this one would be tough. Some of those downhills would take more out of the legs than the climbs ! I'm laughing thinking of the boos if Sonia passed near the finish and you went by her again 😁 not that she would have cared, obviously 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Absolutely fantastic report Denis, as usual! Lovely racing too, sounds like a very unforgiving course but you're running really strong these days. Great job, and congrats on the Age Cat podium!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Excellent run and report D, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Amazing writing. No interest in running but enjoyed very much reading.

Top class report as always. I wish I had your writing skills.

As for the running that was a super effort. No harm taking on courses like that. Takes the pressure off thinking about pbs and you get massive gains in strength. As much as I give out about the route, the Ballyheigue 10k is one I'll 100% be running assuming I survive the marathon for the same reasons.

Great honest effort there. Your target was somewhat notional considering the course and it says a lot about where your strength is at when you see how close you ran to your pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Another great report and congrats on the age category podium! Hats off to the organisers, there was a great buzz around the town, helped no doubt by the weather and the high percentage of Olympians in attendance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

What a brilliant read as always! Congratulations on the podium finish on what sounds like a really tough course! You are just going from strength to strength D, brilliant 😁

I love the bit about running by Sonia, she too is a huge sporting hero to me, such an amazing role model, but more than that she seems like such a genuine person. She sent me an email just after my dad died & it was very personal & so beautifully written, my dad loved her & I was actually supposed to run with her & Jarlath (from the podcast) on the Sunday morning after finding my dad, he had told everyone I was racing her which I had to correct to tell him I was only going for a friendly run around a park🤣

Anyway sorry for waffling, well done again😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Not one but two race reports to catch up on and I don't know which is more impressive, the running or the writing. You are on a roll sir, keep doing what you're doing and keep writing about what you're doing please. Mucho respect & admiration ☺️

Advertisement