Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MG 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nice one for the link. Actually not sure how I feel about the lines on the new one. Maybe it's the tyres size in the side images it looks a bit off. Kind of prefer the older ones appearance.

Sister bought the ZS coming April I believe, value for money it's hard to beat. The base version has alot. The exclusive only gets sunroof. Leather heated seats for I think 3 grand more. Doesnt appear worth it at all on the face of it.

Is pricing out on the new 5 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

There are a few small extras on the higher spec ZS like folding electric mirrors, electric seats, heated front seats, extra speakers, rain sensing wipers, lane change assist and rear blind spot detection. Nothing that is really "needed". The big difference is the leather and glass roof. But again purely stuff that could be lived without.

But I've never bought a new car before and might never buy new again so I went for the top spec.

I've also friends being told April, so I wonder are they all shifting. Mine is due for Feb, due an update tomorrow from the dealer. Hopefully not with bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

really like that , old one very bland but that is quite fresh

afraid your sister will likely be waiting longer than April ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Bear with me as I new to e.v. .So is that 36k to drive away ,will you get any bit of the grant .Is this the best value cheapest for a family saloon .Only asking as the o.h. is hankering to change car .currently have a '13 octavia so it would be a massive outlay but look like inflation is pushing prices only one direction

• Advertisement

No problem glad you are looking at EVs. Yip it's 36k to drive off in the ZS, grant is taken off by garage so that's the price you pay.

Website says 35k. But there is another 1k dealer fees and if you want any colour other than white it's another 500-600 I think. But that's it. Free charge point with it and you just get it installed (there is a €600 grant that would cover that).

It really is the best value/spec/range you can get for the money in that SUV style size.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Thanks for the reply.

I'll keep an eye out for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I was interested, particularly in the PCP offer... Twice I tried to test drive them, twice the dealer never got back to me so bought a leaf. You win some you lose some

• Advertisement

Depends on the dealer I suppose. Some of the largest ones in Dublin are simply really poor despite being so large....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Has anyone seen any reviews of the new MG5 - even in a different language.

My cousin got a call yesterday to say his April delivery put back until August, maybe she ordered several months ago?

It's chronic out there

Ouch, no nothing so far at all. Sounds ominous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I got my MG5 Long Range this week. Yes it's the "old model with bigger battery", but I really can't see the "new one" arriving in Ireland in 2022. For one thing, we were supposed to have the Long Range one in 2021 and as far as I know, none of them made it to Ireland until January of this year. I imagine it'll be similar for the "new" one. It might be announced for later this year, but realistically it'll be very late in the year - and then dealers will hold them until Jan 23 so they'll sell better. I wasn't waiting around for that.

The MG5 Long Range is an excellent car. I DO believe the infotainment screen is a bit of an Achilles heal, in that it's a bit clunky to use and plugging the phone in to use Android Auto/ Apple Play could be done a lot better - eg. A wireless 'bed' like there is on the Tesla or a decent place to put the phone without making a little bulge of cable. As it is, the USB port needed to connect for phone apps is under the slide-panel in the middle of the front-car, so this panel has got to be always open when the phone is connected (/Always). That's a bummer & a little messy looking.

BUT all that is a bit nit-picky - and from what I've seen even of the "new" one, the screen, for all it's better look, is STILL an old-fashioned force-touch rather than a decent phone-screen-like affair. So I'm not convinced that screen will be the game-changer it should/ could be anyway.

In truth, the MG5 LR is a hell of a car. Inside doesn't feel like an electric. It feels like a "real" car. Not a cramped tin-can. Outside also, it's not too flash/ look-at-me. I like that. I did choose the red alright to liven it up a little. I don't really like any of the other available colours. It's also bigger in-person than it looks online. There's a nice clearance off the ground. It looks and feels like a proper, decent motor.

ONE QUESTION: Every time I click the Navigation, it does take a 20 seconds or so to load, but then it forces me to click "AGREE" to the stoopid message-that-nobody-reads EVERY TIME! Surely that's not right? Why doesn't it remember I already agreed!? (I expect I'll use google maps mostly anyway, but still this annoys).

Also, I'm pretty sure I turned off a number of the "driver assist" features, but next time I got in, they were all back. ...Is there any memory on the settings?

I like the ZS but the 5 is just too bland IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭podge3

Yes, the ZS looks OK, the 5 is a bit ugh. Still a good car for the price, though.

On a side note, something looks a little off to me in the updated ZS. I couldn't really put my finger on it until a UK reviewer also commented on it. She said the 17" wheels made it look like it was on tippy-toes. Now I can't stop seeing it😀.

She is right IMHO. MG must have fiddled with the suspension to fit the larger 17" wheels and the stance now looks a little wrong to me. Doesn't take away from the fact it's a good car for the price.

You can get a wireless adapter for the auto play. It is a little box that stays plugged in and your phone just links to it wirelessly, bit tidier.

I'm not sure on the remembering settings but but I had seen some reviews of the old ZS that had similar software and lots of then says it did remember your settings so perhaps it's a software update or a setting that needs to be turned on.

Congrats on the new car.

My ZS got pushed back. New delivery dates are batch 1 Feb pushed to May/June. Batch 2 April pushed to Aug/SEP. Batch 3 pushed to Jan 2023.

I do like the look of the upcoming new 5 though, not sure when it goes on sale?

Looks fresh in pics I've seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭podge3

Yes, the front is much improved but the side profile is what I dislike about the car and that's unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

Any update on when you can order the face-lift MG5 ? Thought it was due mid year - what will delivery times likely be? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RM Ernest

Similar to the MG4, MG are taking orders for the facelift MG5 even though it is not advertised or updated on their website.

Similar to the MG4 they hope to have a few in late this year for registering in January. Shorter waiting list than the MG4 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭sh81722

The dog owners and DIY peeps and Taxi drivers love you MG.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Were you given any indication on MG5 price????.

I prefer the more traditional layout of the MG5 interior and like the idea of having the white seats.

But hard to justify paying say 37 k* for all that when MG4 is under 31 k in bigger battery.

*assuming 34/5 k for entry level trim MG5 and another few k for the higher level trim which you'd need for white seats

35/36k i think for excite spec and not sure on exclusive.

Not sure on full specs but the same as UK specs I assume. So don't think the white seats are an option.

Seen a few of the facelift MG5s on the road in the last week in Dublin. All exclusive spec. Be interesting to see what level of supply MG Ireland can get. It'll be very popular for taxi drivers I'd imagine.

A decent EV and undercuts the likes of an ID3 by a good margin.

An ideal car for me but the same money as a decent used M3 which is hard to look past....decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭sh81722

Looks like the taxi drivers are bang on: The MG5 estate really is a capable workhorse and wearing well also with a low battery degradation according this. Great to know when the cars start appearing on the second hand market. Wonder how the rustproofing is in the long run? But it appears that the quality is totally acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Great to see, and to be expected from most newish EVs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

also great to see with respect to it being the only affordable family estate out there, and with Ford and others switching completely to poxy SUVs, there wont be many more coming online any time soon.

Advertisement