Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Installing door steps

Options
  • 02-04-2022 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭

Hello

I'm trying to help a parent complete their retirement bungalow and it is at the stage now of surfacing the yard and driveway.

There is a set of steps to go in for one of the doors. What is the process for doing this? Are the steps done before the surfacing or after the surfacing and how do they space the risers so that they are of equal height given that they might not be manufactured at the required height?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

It is a requirement of TGD K of the Building Regulations- that all risers and goings are equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Yes, I don't think even without regs you'd want risers and goings of different sizes. My question is what is the method of installing them? How do you get your levels to work from and is it the steps that go in first?

Assume cast in-situ concrete steps

It could also depend on the type of surfacing it is proposed to use.

It the surfacing is tarmacadam - the steps should be finished first to prevent concrete damage to the black surface

If the surfacing is to be concrete- then it could be finished before or after the steps are constructed.

you need to establish a proposed lever that the surfacing is to be finished up to - by driving metal bars in to the ground.

the rise/ height of the steps can then be measured from the existing floor level of the house to top of this metal bar.

This OVERALL HEIGHT measurement could be divided by 150 mm (excellent rise for retired persons) - this will give the NUMBER of risers.

divide this NUMBER in to the OVERALL HEIGHT and it will give you the exact rise of every step.

300 mm is a perfect Going for each step.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Depending on the height difference between threshold and finished outside surface

consider a ramp with handrails and future proof it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Agreed.

The OP should consider a dedicated ramp at the main entrance to the house or ramp the new driveway right up to the door of there isn't too much difference between levels.

• Advertisement

The main entrance will be a ramped access as required by building control. We have decided that this entrance should be done with steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

In that case it’s best done after resurfacing as you can give the manufacturer the final height, otherwise your bottom riser may be lower than the others which could be a hazard.

I would still advise handrails though.

Surface is intended to be tarmac at this stage.

The threshold is 400mm above current ground level (compressed stone). Kerbing is also installed as well. So, the steps dictate the surface level. Okay, that makes sense and was what I thought, but wasn't sure.

We will be installing probably granite or porcelain tile steps. As I'm in NI, the regs are slightly different and shown below. What I'm looking at is two steps up to a landing. So, three risers of ?mm height and going of 350mm.

Am I correct in stating that the edging or soldiers for the steps don't get cut to suite the rise, but are laid on a bed behind the step tile at level to meet the required going (i.e. I don't have to get the cut to required height - as opposed to getting laid on top of the step?

I know this is ll detail for the installer, but I just want to know the process so that I can be aware of what is going to happen.

Thanks.

Post edited by funkey_monkey on

We may well put one up on the wall yes.

The steps are to be tiled with tarmac driveway, so not sure what way to go as you say after, but @C. Eastwood says after.

A good rough surface on the concrete is a safe way of preventing slipping.

I disagree with most types of tiles, externally because when they are wet, they can be dangerously slippery and cause falls

• Advertisement

They will be anti slip or hi grip - or whatever the terminology is.

I would be of same opinion, which is why we are not putting tiles anywhere else on property.

Getting back to looking at this. Due to site layout, I think that semicircular steps would be the best option.

I don't like soldiers nor bullnose steps - so what options are there out there? The modern sleek porcelain tiles I don't think would suit. In my mind I have curved granite risers and granite flags - preferably with a rough finish. Is this a thing that can be got easily - I've not seen it anywhere and I'm not looking to spend for anything bespoke.

Advertisement