Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Slack is the gap, pushing the chain at the halfway point between the front and rear sprockets, between as high as it will go and as low as it will go. If the chain has tighter and looser spots i.e. the slack changes when the rear wheel is turned, then measure at the tightest point. A little too much slack is always better than too little (chain must never get fully taut over bumps, with passenger and luggage, etc.) but if it's too loose at the loosest point when adjusted correctly at the tightest point, then you either work out the tight spots or (probably) replace the chain.

There should only be one axle nut. The other end will be the axle itself, in effect a huge bolt. You don't turn that, just hold it to stop it rotating.

Best thing to do is get an online copy of the handbook or workshop manual for your bike and start from there.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Same as Hotblack says

Get the bike up on the centerstand and see if there are any tight spots

For my bike the actual adjustment should be done with the wheels on the ground and bike on the side stand ( no center stand on mine )

get your measuring tape in middle between sprockets push the chain up and measure from swing arm then pull chain down and measure

you can get cheap alignment tools on Ali or ebay that you clamp on to the rear sprocket and look down along the rod to see if the chain is aligned correctly as some times the alignment grooves on the bike are not that accurate

I found this video quite helpful for learning how to adjust the chain. I did it for a first attempt (and then got it looked at by a bike shop to make sure i hadn't messed it up) and it was perfect (apparently).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA6OPG_cFms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭chasm

If you have a full Cat B licence, and the theory test from that is less than 2 years old do you need to do Cat A theory test to get a Cat A learner permit? I thought you did, being different categories, but reading the info my friend got from rsa or ndls website now I'm not so sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If you have a full Cat B, you can proceed without doing any further test to Cat A... You just need to complete one more module on the IBT... unless you used the same system to progress an earlier licence...

But on your question, no, you should not need a new theory test.

• Advertisement

That make sense when progressing through the various motorcycle licences, but I never heard it in relation to a car licence >bike licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Lol, disregard my previous email... it's to early for me to be commenting on internet things... Yes you'll have to do a new Theory because it's bike specific.

I was looking at that thinking

that cant be right :-)

@Chasm the car licence has no bearing on a motorbike

Needs new theory test + new learner permit for the bike then IBT

Thanks for the replies, it seems I was right so, it's a long time since I had to deal with anything licence related so I was unsure if my take on it was outdated, but from what I have seen it would appear it depends on who is dealing with your application - my friend's permit is in the post apparently, no theory test needed 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

I applied for my learner license last week (arrived yesterday). Like yourself I wasn't sure if I needed to do the theory test (full B license since 2001) so logged in to MDLS and applied. Nothing in the process of that application mentioned theory test.

I did come across this thread which seems to explain why I didn't need to redo the theory test - https://www.boards.ie/discussion/133449/motorcycle-faq/p10 -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Do you happen to know what year he'd his original B permit.

Found this on the NDLS/mygov page:

"I have not held a learner permit in the last 5 years, therefore why have I an option to apply for a learner permit in the motorbikes /cars ?

You will be given this option if you passed a driver theory test between April 2001 and October 2006 and hold a full licence in the motorbike or car as at that time the driver theory test covered both motorbikes and the car categories."

Have to laugh, I've a full A1 licence, driving since 2000, but as it was before the theory test came in, it actually involves more for me to progress to an A2 or go for an A than it does for a B licence holder who sat the theory during the quoted dates lol

Anyway, thanks for all the replies, I've sent the above info to my friend, who I'm assuming passed their theory test for a car during the above quoted dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

So I did a theory test for nothing 🙃

It was daft to have a combined car and bike theory test.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭slystallone

Anyone able to give feedback on the waiting times for a test. I feel like I am lost in the system at this stage. Months since I heard anything back. Gave them a ring but no help. At this stage between Lockdowns etc my IBT is going to go out of date soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Waited about 1 year and 3 months.

Mention that you are going to complain to your local TD on here, and you'll miraculously find a test date will show up for you.

Try other centres

Ring and say your IBT is expiring and you'll take a cancellation test at short notice (assuming that you can get a day off work when you need it)

Or even try saying that you need it for work / are an "essential worker" (I don't know who employs inessential workers 😛 )

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

What a farce - not one Centre in the country with an opening for a bike test and no waiting list times available

That is what i was getting when waiting for my test after I let the 10 day booking elapse

Every time I checked online it said no availability for every test center

I tried to add myself back on to the waiting list but it said i was already on it

I had to ring them and say that every test center said no availability and the Girl said she would add me back to the list and I got a new date within a week or so

You should give them a ring

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

The IBT situation seems to be getting out of hand. A mega lack of IBT schools and the RSA, in general, seem to be putting all the effort into the car tests and truck tests. Bikes are most likely at the bottom of the list. The bike community in Ireland is small enough with no great voice and that is very much that. The biggest problem I experience before I passed my test was the lack of schools and bike hire. Trying to get replies from the RSA is a different game all together. They do try that much people need to know, but they do not have the staff numbers to deal properly with the public.

Dan.

Just looking back through call history it was 096 25000

Anyone know the test route in Tralee for Bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

It used to be from the test centre through St Josephs's est [u turn there] out by Gleasures funeral home out to Caherslee, mounthawk, John Shannon's bike shop and on to killeen road. then out to the MTU, i am not too sure of the rest but if I recall its passed the racecourse down to Bill Kinnerk road from there went on to the grayhound stadium and then back to the test centre. Watch out for the small roundabout at Upper Rock St, if they still do that one, it is very tricky due to all the traffic. Sometimes the U-turn is at the big wide lay by at the bottom of the greyhound stadium. that used to be the way in days gone by.

Dan

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

Seen a few 4-5 doing their test the last 2 days out in Shannon and a few look like they are on practice runs ,its been a while since the last lot ,they seem to just do it in batches every now and again good luck to all !

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

Hi all, I'm not a motorbike guy at all but it's kind of related to motorbikes I think. Just wondering if air filters on motorbikes use an oil to help trap particulates? I've read online that motorbike Air filters would have an oil additive but I'm not a bike guy so wanted to ask ye fellow boardsies.

The reason I ask is that I've a 100cc chainsaw with an upgraded air filter with a removable plastic sponge like inner part that is meant to be coated lightly in a particular sticky grade of oil. I've tried several motor factors and they don't have it. There's not motorbike stores in my region so they will be my next stop when I'm passing one

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ibanezkav

Good morning everyone

So, being told different things from people and said I would ask here. as it stands, I have my learner permit, waiting on IBT (backlog), I’m 30 years old. I was looking at 250cc just to tip along on at the start just to get familiar with the bike etc. i have been told a few times now to get a 600cc and restrict it. Once I go for a full test I have a 600. Anyone have insight if this is a good or bad idea?

I was looking at Ninjas, and 600cc seems to be cheaper than 250cc. I guess that’s the usual DoneDeal pricing when one ups the price the rest follow suite.

Any info or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yep there are some Air filter specific oils about

But back in the day you could just use whatever you had lying about just dont drench it in the oil

Rub in some oil and and squeeze out the excess

Or you could buy

https://www.xlmoto.ie/mc-parts/oils--lubricants_c2572/air-filter-oils--cleaners_c1924/a9-racing-air-filter-oil-spray-2-pack_pid-PP-043728

• Advertisement

If you only have an A2 learner permit you'd need to restrict a 600. But if you have class A and pass IBT on a class A bike, then you can ride any bike unrestricted.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement