Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online driving licence renewal

• 30-03-2022 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been successful with renewing their drivers licence online?

It says you need a verified Gov ID account to do it but yet you need the PSC to verify your Gov ID account.

Thanks.

Post edited by Mr321 on

Comments

Yes, renewed one this morning. Took approximately five minutes, said licence would arrive in 5-6 working days.

In fairness, the PSC card is not new - its been around since 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

Thing is - quite a lot of people, let's say middle-aged folk who've worked all their lives and never had reason to claim social welfare, have zero need for a PSC in their day-to-day lives.

Heck, the passport guys can do it online without a PSC - can't be that difficult, can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

Yea I agree with you there. Anyone that has a licence has their own licence number with all their details and photo identity on it so you'd imagine when renewing just quoting your licence number and updating your details and photo would suffice.

How and ever.

• Advertisement

I wasn't in receipt of benefits when I got mine, I just got a letter in the post inviting me to come in and get one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

My DL is out of date soon. Applied for an interview to get one in January, reply said I'll have an app by March. Still haven't heard anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've had to renew my passport and drivers license recently, passport a piece of had to p**s, received it in the post a couple of days later nice and simple. Drivers license because I don't have a PSC I had to book an appointment 3 weeks out, in I went, got my photos taken, paid the money and told that my new license sent out to me in about 3 weeks. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭con747

I am surprised they are still insisting on the card for this considering the ruling by the Data Protection Commission.

No basis in law

A report by the Data Protection Commission found there was no basis in law for public bodies to insist that people accessing services have the card outside of the Department of Social Protection, which could demand it to access payments.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Yea this is where I'm at with going the online route.

Also the NDLS centres will won't accept cash. Card only.

I really feel for elderly people or anyone that cannot do things online or use cashless payments.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

When I was in there a guy came in with a signed form from the guards looking to get a replacement license, he was told to go away and make an appointment, now when I was there there was 2 no-shows so it would have been easier for them to just do it there and then that repeatedly tell him to go home to make an appointment, or to ring a number.

Yea it seems a very messy system. If you need a medical from your GP they only stay valid for 1 month of being stamped yet you could be waiting longer for an in house appointment with NDLS. A right pain.

The system isn't messy at all. It's actually very efficient.

Its up to the user to organise any forms needed, medical reports etc, in plenty of time, not blame the NDLS because they don't have appointments available within a short time frame. A licence can be renewed any time in the three months preceeding its expiry date. If the medical report is only valid for a month, and you want to go into an office to renew, then common sense would say book your appointment with NDLS first, and then go to your GP and get your report done.

(If you renew online, you can scan your medical report and upload it to the website).

It's also on their website that they no longer accept walk-ins its, strictly by appointment only.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Dirty Nails

In the same mess here.

went to register for mygov, looks like I cant because PSC is out of date.

So. Apply for PSC to apply for MyGov to apply for licence renewal.

Life's too short for this ****............:)

I think if I apply for an appointment I dont need any of them to renew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Booked an appointment in Leopardstown 3 weeks out for 10:10 am. Arrived 10:05 and seen within a minute, in and out in less than 10 minutes, licence arrived in the post 6 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I registered for mygov with an out of date PSC recently . It specifically says you can use an out of date PSC when registering

Medical cert

Licence in post following week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Its a shambles, even you input Gov ID ,you get fcuked out of the system again

Rinse and repeat

I gave up ,booked an appointment at centre and waited five weeks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

All my family got PSCs even though we all worked or were students. It makes claiming benefits easier. It also acts as my free travel pass, now that I’m a pensioner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

It's a complete unmitigated disaster and the private SWISS company running it should have their licence revoked immediately.

My 10 year licence expired during Covid. The NDLS sent out an email saying that they were extending my licence by 10 months and that they would notift the Gardai and the insurance companies.

i was abroad earlier this year. I had hired and paid for a car in advance. The car hire company wouldn't let me have the car as my licence was out of date. It cost me a fortune getting to where I wanted to go and my holiday was spoilt because i hadn't got a car. And then the trouble and expense of getting back to the airport.

This is a private sector for profit company. Governement departments stayed open during the pandemic and continued to operate.

NDLS just closed down and feck the customers. They were getting paid and didn't give a fiddlers about the people they were well paid by the state and the customer to deal with. The so called efficiency of the private sector - my arse.

I can renew my passport online. Why cant I renew my driving licence online? And even now, everywhere else in the Country is back working normally, but I can't apply for my replacement driving licence until much later this year - 3 months before the new expiry date they have given me.

I eventually managed to get a letter off them that they say I can use in addition to my licence when I'm abroad next. It took them over 3 weeks to issue it. They don't bother to employ enough staff for the workload they have. Cheaper to stay under staffed, blame everything on Covid and save a fortune on the wage bill, which goes straight to the companys bottom line.

I forsee a lot more people caught over the summer with expired driving licences and they'll only discover the problem when they arrive at the car hire desk at a foreign airport. Anyone who has experience of the hard sell tactics at these deske will know what to expect.

Well said. The day after my post here I rang NDLS about a licence form, they don't send forms out from. HQ anymore so told me to go to my local NDLS office for one. I went to my local NDLS office to see could I get a form, non to be got there either it seems and out of the 3 desks they have only 1 customer in use so even if social distancing was preferred and with an appointment only system it would have still been possible to use 2.

Licences can be renewed online. The forms are online. The facilities are available, if you take the trouble to find out how to use them correctly.

Sick and tired of listening to people whinging about problems THEY create and then blame the services for.

Why did you expect a foreign car hire company in another country to know about Irish driving licences extensions during a pandemic?

Would you have turned up at an airport and expect to fly with a passport that had an expiry date that had passed?

So why did you turn up at a car hire desk, with a licence that had at expiry date that had passed? Again, I think that was something you should have checked out before you left, and was not down to the NDLS. Ten month extensions were granted to licences that expired between 1 July 2021 and 31 October 2021. They said they were informing Gardai and Insurance companies. Not car hire companies.

It also means some of those licences can already apply to be renewed and all by the end of May this year - so if anyone gets caught out this summer, it will be on themselves.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Well said. Easy peasy to renew online. Photo from my PSC was used. No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

You attempting to defending and offering an erronious and ill informed opinion about a company that you have obviously no or very little experience or knowledge about.

Are you sure you're not a shill for the NDLS. You certainly sound like one. You may have had good experience, but I haven't and iI can caterorically state that they are totally and utterly incompetent.

And for your information my extension does not run out until much later this year, si I cannot renew it until after the Summer.

I'm an end user of the licence. The NDLS are supposed to be the professionals in regards to licences, and to forsee the problems that will arise from their decision to close down applications for renewal of 10 year licences. They decided to close their renewals because of Covid. Did other agencies acting for the Government close down. Post Office, Government departments, etc. They certainly did not. But the NDLS obviously decided it would be cheaper for them to close than to stay open and deal with the matters they are paid to deal with (by the users and the State). I'd be very surprised if they didn't claimed the PUP payments off the State as well. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Just for your information, here's the response the NDLS sent to my local TD Jack Chambers in response to his representation. I'm sure if it was as easy as you foolishly seem to think to get a new licence, they would have advised Mt Chambers of that fact

Dear Deputy Chambers,

In reply to your correspondence regarding XXXXXX.

Drivers can apply for a Driver Statement / Letter of Entitlement if they are intending to drive in a foreign country on a licence with an extended expiry as a result of Covid19.

Where a driving licence has been extended and the licence holder is travelling abroad and wishes to drive, they can obtain a Driver Statement/Letter of Entitlement from the National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) to show the new expiry date of their driving licence.

EU countries will recognise a driving licence where the period of validity has expired up to the end of the extension period granted by the issuing Member State. For licences that have been extended, drivers should check with car hire companies in advance of travelling to see if a driver statement is required.

“While EU countries will recognise a driving license with an extended expiry date, a Driver Statement from the NDLS is available free of charge to those who may be driving outside the EU or where car hire companies state this as a requirement.”

A Letter of Entitlement or Driver Statement is a copy of your driver record with details of name, address, date of birth, driver number, date of expiry of licence and class of licence.

Drivers can request a Letter of Entitlement / Driver Statement free of charge by phoning the National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) at 076 1087880 or emailing info@ndls.ie. It will take three to four days for the request to be processed and posted out to a driver.

If you wish you can also reply to this email with XXXXXXXX's Driver Number, and we will issue same by post directly to him.

A driving licence or learner permit can only be renewed within 3 months of the expiry date. If you already hold a driving licence, you cannot apply for a renewal of your licence more than 3 months before the date of expiry of your current licence. 

The requirement is provided for in legislation SI 537/2006 Road Traffic (Licensing of Drivers) Regulations 2006. Article 12(3)

The blanket extension to driving licences was granted to facilitate our customers. We sincerely regret if it has caused you any inconvenience.

Please see below link in relation to travelling to an EU country on holiday, available on our website

https://www.ndls.ie/help/faq.html#my-licence-was-extended-and-i-am-travelling-to-an-eu-country-on-holidays-will-i-be-covered-to-drive-on-my-irish-licence

Miriam Scott

1. The NDLS say that they can issue this letter that you can produce to the car hire company within 3/4 days. Total deliberate lie. I was waiting over 3 weeks.

2 NDLS recommend that you contact the car hire company in advance to see if they will accept their letter. That's a total cop out and totally impractical and they know it.

Like many thousands of others, I use sites like Doyouspain and Ryanair. These search through all the car hire companies and offer you a car at the cheapest rate availabe. That offer is valid for about 10 minutes and then it expires and it's gone. Try again and you may get an offer from another company, with a different price.

And of course, NDLS are convienently also ignoring the language barrier. What are the chances of the person answering the phone being able to speak English well enough to understand a relatively complex question.

Hundreds, if not thousands of drivers have successfully renewed their licences online. Your problem seems to be because you are out of pocket because you couldn’t hire a car. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

I found them to be very efficient recently

Setup mygov with an out of date PSC card

Had to go doc for medical cert

Uploaded cert and paid the fee

They emailed me back to query something and had the licence the following week

I definitely wouldn't be going the appointment route I heard it's aload of hassle proving id

“While EU countries will recognise a driving license with an extended expiry date, a Driver Statement from the NDLS is available free of charge to those who may be driving outside the EU or where car hire companies state this as a requirement.”

A Letter of Entitlement or Driver Statement is a copy of your driver record with details of name, address, date of birth, driver number, date of expiry of licence and class of licence.

Drivers can request a Letter of Entitlement / Driver Statement free of charge by phoning the National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) at 076 1087880 or emailing info@ndls.ie. It will take three to four days for the request to be processed and posted out to a driver.

So it turns out then, that the NDLS did actually have a procedure in place to cover users of extended licences abroad, you just didn't know about it - was that because you didn't think to check in advance of travelling? Did you check with the car hire company either? (Like NDLS advise). Obviously not. And that, I'm afraid, is entirely on you. You may be the "end user" of the licence, but its not the role or responsibility of the NDLS to chase you around to make sure you have all your ducks in a row before going away.

And as for the rants about office closures, they were closed in accordance to public health guidelines. (You know, because of the pandemic?) Some offices did open to facilitate licensing and renewals for essential workers. Holiday makers weren't priority.

The information about the ten month extension is directly from their site, and covers licences which expired between 1 July / 31 October 2021. If a licence extension lasts until 31 August 2022 (10 months from the latest date) then the licence holder can apply to renew it on 31 May 2022.

I managed to successfully renew my own ten year licence, and my daughter's learner permit (twice) since January 2021, all online, and with the renewals arriving within days.

Maybe you should think about applying for a PSC Card and MyGovID now. :)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

I like that. I may borrow it. 👍️

Advertisement