Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No LGBT radio program on Irish radio

• 11-05-2016 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Why is there no lgbt radio program on Irish radio ?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Why do you feel there should be?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because there's limited need for one?

There were a number of them on RTÉ Pulse but they all ended for various reasons.

There would be few industries with as many LGBT staff as radio as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Global Village is on Newstalk every Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭I wear socks

I believe that the 7/8pm slot on Radio 1 should be used for varied programs for minority and special interests. FFS arena 5 nights per week is overkill

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I believe that the 7/8pm slot on Radio 1 should be used for varied programs for minority and special interests. FFS arena 5 nights per week is overkill

Why don't you pitch proposals for a show to RTE or Newstalk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What does an LGBT style program involve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

As someone from that particular community, I really don't really think there's any need for a specific LGBT show on radio. Global Village covers all that kind of stuff anyway. And tbh who'd listen to it? If I (a radio nerd) wouldn't even listen, then who would tbh.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Do straight people have a dedicated radio programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

They're no heterosexual show either.. Is there a need for one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Why is there no radio show for left-handed people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

gimmick wrote: »
    What does an LGBT style program involve?

More water.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Actually there is a half hour show on Dublin City FM every Tuesday at 3pm, which you can stream live or find podcasted on Soundcloud.

I've never listened to it but it might be what you're looking for.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Global Village is on Newstalk every Saturday night.

Ah good old Dil, where every Irish person is a racist, homophobic and any other 'bics' you can think of, she drives me batty. I hate getting into the car and realising she's on, can't get it off quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

pc7 wrote: »
    Ah good old Dil, where every Irish person is a racist, homophobic and any other 'bics' you can think of, she drives me batty. I hate getting into the car and realising she's on, can't get it off quick enough.

I often listen to her show, and I've never heard her saying (or even implying) that every Irish person is a racist or a homophobe.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

RayM wrote: »
    I often listen to her show, and I've never heard her saying (or even implying) that every Irish person is a racist or a homophobe.

I haven't listened to her show in a long long long time (because she does my nut in), I'm not alone! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056051153

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

reposted in correct thread

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I like Arena five nights a week. I don't think five hours a week dedicated to the arts is overkill.

Maybe they could take some time out of Claire Byrne, Tubs and D'Arcy. They are all essential the same format. A magazine show and the segments are interchangeable.

TBF to Byrne she dosent spend as much time as the other two discussing death and Illness. But my point stands.

I am not a fan of Dill. Her show is poor radio. But agree with you. But I did find she spent a lot of the show talking about her self, how great she is. She also played the victim card a little to often for my liking on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there any straight radio program on Irish radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Dillpickle did serve a purpose of sorts.

No, really-putting an absolutely vacuous and talentless objectionable boor on national radio ticked two boxes.

Firstly it reminded us of the futility of tokenism. The more she screeches, the more she irritates.

Secondly it ticked a box for NewsTalk with the BAI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It wasn't a million years ago when The Arts Show went out mid afternoon five days a week, and it was a lot less contemporary and far more pompous and elitist than either Arena or it's predecessor, Rattlebag.

Before my time. But I do agree that RTE should have a LGBT radio show. But take the time from one of the magazine shows or Lineline. Arena is a great show, and one of the few things RTE are doing right.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Joe Duffy could host an LGBT show, he covers that area quite enthusiastically. Maybe dedicate one show per week/fortnight. Or replace Funny Friday.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Im not gay but I would listen to this as I have the interest on understanding different people. What would it entail, discussions on social issues, a bit of music or what? Which channel

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Radio should appeal to the masses, not appease a minority, why would a commercial concern put on something so niche not even 5 percent of their listeners would listen to it, what companies would pay for their hard earned money being spent on an advertising slot that might as well be broadcast in Arabic at a football match in Spiddal

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Saying there's a lack of LGBT radio shows implies that there's a lot of radio directed solely at heterosexual people which isn't the case.

I could understand 40 years ago that such a show campaigning for the rights of LGBT people would have been important but Irish society in its recent history has essentially made being LGBT something that isn't that big a deal, we have in effect absorbed being LGBT into our perceived normality which is more important and profound a step than token radio shows.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

How about Dil and Dr. Ebun Joseph do a show together, where they tell all white Irish people how racist they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Why are some zombie threads allowed to be resurrected ?? 🤔

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement