Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tournament - Favourite Thing About Christmas - The Nominations

• 28-03-2022 9:12am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apologies for the delay in getting this going, life finally got in the way.

SO here we go, new tournament and this one will be a decisive one. The rules will be a bit more relaxed for this one as it's subjective.

The Rules;

1. There's no limit to the number of nominations you can have.
    2. There's no seeding for this one so you don't have to nominate something already nominated.
    3. Try to keep the nominations short enough, like "Christmas Eve Pints" or "Christmas Dinner", you can give a snappy one liner for the nom and follow up with more detail in the post if you wish 😃

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Reminiscing about where we got our 'special' Christmas tree decorations each year as we put the tree up 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Magic of Santa (too general??)

Kids excitement on Christmas morning

Christmas Lunch

Family all getting together

Putting up the tree/decorations

Pre Christmas drinks with friends

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Christmas Eve...as in the entire day/night....it's the whole sense of anticipation, all the prep of the Christmas dinner, the kids up to 90 with excitement, the feeling in the air...it's literally the best day of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Christmas adverts!!

Christmas FM launch day!

Walking around our local area to see all the christmas lights

Christmas eve

Watching christmas films in the build up

Watching the kids open presents on christmas morning

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Driving home from work on the last day before the christmas holidays

Stollen!!!

Catching the guinness advert 'live' for the first time each year

Reading the christmas edition of the RTE guide

Mince pies!

Post edited by DvB on
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Christmas markets

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BK5

The way Christmas makes people just be that little bit nicer to each other.

The houses lit up and decorated on dark winter nights.

Wishing everyone in work a Merry Christmas as your walking out the door to start your holidays.

Having a big family get together in my parents house.

The tree being lit for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Christmas Eve, every single minute of it from the early rise to start the cooking to the evening when we have our neighbours in for wine and cheese (normally anyway, missed this year because of Covid). Best day of Christmas and of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Christmas Eve pints.

Christmas Eve lunch .

Carols From Kings.

Putting up the tree

Christmas music.

Christmas films.

Christmas morning meeting all the family.

Christmas day dinner with the parents.

Christmas parties with friends.

Stephen's Day pints.

Holidays.

Christmas adverts.

Food.

Christmas decorations.

Also love the first night with all the decorations up & the lights twinkling away (usually watching the LLTS) there's something special about that night

Loved the santa experiences with the kids too (causey far, santa express etc), sadly they're finished for us but they were such special times for us & have left us with great memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

First night that we put the decorations up we watch Trading Places. I love sitting there looking around thinking "yes, that time of the year again".

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

The magic of wonder and excitement in a child's eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Christmas Baking - making mincemeat, steaming the puddings, the smell in the house when the Christmas Cake is in the oven, dusting mince pies with icing sugar!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Might wrap up nominations shortly... still enough nominated to get a knockout going.

Couple of others....

Love the first full hearing of 'Fairytale of New York' I hold off listening to it if it comes up anywhere until after Christmas FM launches and there's something I love about hearing it in all its glory for the first time each season because I'll only listen to it for that 4-5 weeks of the year.

Another which is a love/hate thing would be the final song on Christmas FM closing night. There's usually a few of us on here listening in & posting about it coming to an end for another year and there's something about that Christmas forum camaraderie that I get a great sense of satisfaction from. Its a lump in the throat moment, but thats because we care enough about it & that has to be worth mentioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Agree with you re last song and even first song could be added too. Usually drives a bit of discussion and you know that the fellow like minded folks on here are listen in to see what it is going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BK5

Not sure if it's Christmas or a winter thing but fresh snow crunching under your feet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Same with frosty grass... always loved that feeling & sound of walking across crisp frosted grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,220 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I’m nominating this forum of Boards, I love the way in which everyone tells their stories/tales and to see how everyone likes and appreciates different parts of Christmas. Fresh popcorn for his countdown 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

The chance of some nookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

The smell of Christmas decorations (reminds me of my childhood)

Christmas eve (said a few times)

When my request gets played on Christmas FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭CarrieAnne

Family (fights and all),

Midnight Mass

Hope Peace and kindness... and patience ('sur its Christmas!)

Children's magic

The sheer joy I get in planning for.... waiting for... and living and loving the WHOLE CHRISTMAS PACKAGE!

Given the lack of content added to this thread in a while now I suspect we're maybe at the end of the nominations period for this. Though given the lack of traffic through the forum at the moment we may struggle to get through this one... the posting seems to have really fallen off a cliff in the last few weeks.

In saying that I appreciate Loughc is up to his proverbials at the moment so probably no harm leaving this stew for another while to see if we can generate some more input.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It might pick up once we get to the knockout stage. I couldn't think of anything to add, once I found the thread all my favourite things about Christmas had come and gone! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The first (and every) night the tree and decorations are up.

Rowdy Christmas day with family.

Lazy days and nights when off work.

Memories of those no longer here and the stories that are always told about them. They never get old, no matter how many times you hear or recall them.

Advertisement