Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hyundai Kona

• 07-03-2022 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

What are your thoughts on the interior of the refreshed Kona. I can’t make up my mind. Sometimes I think it’s really dull no cheap looking but the other part of me thinks on the other hand it’s functional and simple without being stylish.

Intereted in other perspectives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Is the interior still based on the 20k combustion engine version? if then I wouldnt expect it to be very inspiring

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

• Registered Users Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭creedp

Isnt that apparently what people want these days .. a steering wheel and a tablet stuck to the dash. Personally dont like the minimalist approach but probably cheaper to manufacture and more easily updated

I’m not finding it easy to find an EV that’s has a raised entry position for easy access for a similar price unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

My parents have a 19 one, they love it, about to get a new battery in and all

Nothing wrong with the interior, I was just pointing out the interior is the same on the electric as the combustion version .

if you like it the buy it, what does it matter what other people think if you are happy?

• Advertisement

Yes good point. I think I might wait until the new Kia Niro comes out though just to be certain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Went to look at it today and was quite impressed, interior is simple but functional.

Unfortunately,there is no adjustment in the front passenger seat which is a bit of a dealbreaker for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Bought one the other day. Interior is good, mines grey leather and it's a pleasant enough place to be. The range and efficiency is really the main selling point. I don't think I could deal long term with a 150-200km range EV. I've been averaging 16kWh/100km which gives me approx 400km range.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Since you've recently purchased: I'm looking to buy soon (probably be July, go for the 222). I forgot to ask the sales guy about the wallbox (I'll grab details when I go for my test drive in a few days but always better to get personal insights on experience from actual customers)

What wallbox did you go for? Does Hyundai offer their own (I see the EU website does list this, but nothing on IE, and my neigbhours have the VW ID.3 and got a VW wallbox). Is there any advantage to going for a branded box, vs going for a Zappi or something like that? Long term of course you could end up changing car brands over the years anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The thing about the Kona is that you will curse the boot every time you go away somewhere.

It actually looks far bigger than it is. Probably the worst boot ive ever seen on a car.

Interesting - I'm going for a test drive at the weekend so will take a close look at all dimensions.

I currently have a Duster - LOVE my Duster, and have been putting off the EV upgrade mostly due to range anxiety and high purchase price. However, with the skyrocketing fuel prices of late, the Kona 64kW having a decent range, and my Duster have a surprisingly good trade-in value (got the quote today), I can actually work a decent deal on the EV switch.

Hmm, a quick google there Duster vs Kona EV 64kW:

Boot: 445 vs 332 litre

Ground clearance: 210 vs 160 mm

Height: 1621 vs 1570 mm

Width (without side mirrors): 1804 vs 1800 mm

Length: 4341 vs 4205 mm

So smaller than the Duster but not by a huge amount, still bigger than the Zoe or ID3, etc. Boot about 3/4 of the size - I actually think I that'll do me grand (I used to drive a VW UP! back in the day, now THAT had a teeny tiny little excuse for a boot, 2 Tesco shopping bags was its limit)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Its the boot shape in the Kona too that makes it unworkable imo. And make sure you check the size with the back seats up as if a passenger is sitting in them.

No point looking at boot space with the back seats flat imo, unless you never have back seat passengers when you go anywhere.

For sure, I rarely put the seats down even though I don't often have back seat passengers. Seats up, backboard in place is my usual modus operandi. I'll have a very good look, thanks for the info!!

So test drive at the weekend, and while initial visuals were a little underwhelming, it's a real treat to drive! I was surprised at how heavy the car is (battery weight makes it 300kg more than my Duster!), but that means it sticks to the road, even on the sharpest bends. Steering is firm and responsive, the car feels solid and safe and sturdy, but it's so comfortable, there's more than enough room in the drivers seat as well as for my arms (was worried about the very 'busy' centre console with storage box etc - absolutely no issue in the end)

It's very odd, going from 2 decades of manual gearbox, to fully automatic (I've driven, but never owned, automatics in the past), but surprisingly easy to adjust to (in just the 20 minute test drive I did)

I LOVE the computerised display and the media system - looking forward to fully exploring those, but I'm a number geek, and those stats had me giddy with excitement! All at my fingertips!

So order placed, I opted to wait a little for the 222 plates, as the next shipment is expected next month, but given registration time, etc, was told it would be mid-June-ish, so it makes sense to hold out just that little extra for July. Excited!!!

Edit to add: yes the boot is smaller than expected, but it's not small, it looks more than sufficient for my purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

First Service Cost

Hi coming up to 15000km and due first service , being quoted €150 , does that seem a bit of a piss take for a quick inspection ? ,

I presume that includes tyre rotation , cabin filter and update software , any other owners have this done yet ? .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭innrain

Done it 4 times. first 3 @ 80 quid each. The last 150. The most expensive wash. They argued they've changed the cabin filter and something more. My bad I didn't ask first how much, assuming it will be the same as previous 3. Ask around.

How does the 'inspection only' service (where no filters etc need to be replaced), differ from the 'Vehicle Health Check'?

5 Year Free Vehicle Health Check:

Your Hyundai should be checked by a Hyundai dealer every year. This check will be free of charge and we will provide you with a written report.

Please note that only cars sourced through Hyundai Cars Ireland Ltd. and purchased through a Hyundai Authorised Dealer qualify for the 5 year triple care package. 

Terms and conditions apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Breckle

Hi all.

Does anyone know the different trims/specs that were available on 2020 models. I can’t find it online. Also, were emergency braking or adaptive cruise control an option on the models available in Ireland?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
Advertisement