Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toasters!

Options
  • 26-03-2022 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭

Why hasn't someone made a toaster that actually works for the Irish?

Most toasters I think are designed for countries that have those slices of bread that are smaller than the square toasting bread that we have never mind your bigger pan like Brennans

And it should have a longer setting for Batch bread instead of having to do it twice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

I think if you get a supermarket own brand toaster like Tesco's it's more likely to fit your Irish size slice.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Had this problem last time purchasing, went with DeLonghi, fits Irish bread perfect, unsure if the entire range does this or not. I had a look at the reviews on Argos to see which was suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is that a very young Paul Young in the pop vid??😶

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

This toaster looks phenomenal. It only does one slice at a time, but it appears to do it to perfection. $270, but it takes thick bread and seems to have enough space for a arched-top pan slice.

Feck this fecking site. This video was supposed to be in the post above. It's there if I edit, but doesn't show when posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

oh yeah I actually watched this on Autin Evans previously

think i'll wait for black friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

You could just cook your toast under the grill and save yourself 270 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We have a bread machine that produces loaves that protrude a good bit out of the top of most toasters. So we end up having to rotate the bread multiple times while it's toasting to avoid one end being untoasted.

I've been hunting for a suitable toaster for ages but the one important thing that's hardly ever mentioned in the specs is the size of the toasting compartment!

I may be reduced to cutting out a cardboard replica of a slice of bread and trying it out in the shop at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

turn down low, insert bread, toast, flip and repeat, job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Some sandwich makers have the same issue - they can only fit perfectly square micro sized slices - no hope of squeezing in an Irish doorstep.

Regarding toasters, our current one is particularly badly designed. It is a four slice toaster, with two, two slice sections and the minimum you can toast is two slices - no provision to do a single slice. if you need to toast only one slice, the other half of the two bay section also heats up.

Also ... you don't have a choice as to which two slice bay section you use - the right hand two slice bay has to be used first. It will burn out quicker than the other left hand two slice bay, because if you are continually toasting two slices, you can not share the usage load.

If you have two slices already in use and then have to go for another two, the second two slice bay (only operable if first is also being used) will turn on, but it will pop up at the same time as the first, even if the first bay has been on for longer. If you then have to top up the second slices again (because they popped early) you will have to move them back to the first bay, because the second bay will not operate again on its own.

First world problems, I know ..... but I am seriously thinking of throwing it out, just for the stupid design and energy wastage that it contributes to. The wife bought it, because it fitted the kitchen colour scheme - I would have brought it back shortly after using it for the first time, or changed the colour of the kitchen to match a better toaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ThreeGreens

From time to time Lidl do a four slice silvercrest toaster.

It's still the wrong size, but you can lie the bread on its side and to one slice each side and it does it perfectly (ie use the four slice toaster as a 2 slice toaster).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I say "Cheers to toasters"

It's a toast,. I'll... I'll, ah, get me coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm sure I've seen a toaster or two over here boasting the it fits warburtons bread. I assume that means it'll take a longer slice. We have a relatively expensive de longhi yoke that will fit most slices on their side but not all. I may join the OP's campaign in the near future!

You could also just let your bread go stale and colour it brown with a marker.

The Mitsubishi jobbie is airtight, so it seals moisture in. You're not just grilling the toast (which a regular toaster does), but steaming it too. Next level future tech for elite toast aficionados, not your average pleb who frets about a mere 270 of your earth dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Ah but you don't get that warm fuzzy feeling of being ahead of the trend & part of the future if you do that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Was the invention of toast not just a means of making stale bread more palatable for plebs who couldn't get it fresh?

• Advertisement

Possibly, a bit like yoghurt is just a way to use rancid milk and beer is just a way of making stagnant water not kill you. But since those mundane origins, we've taken these products and made them into delicacies in their own right. Given that up to now, toast has just been bread crudely exposed to radiant heat, I'd say we're only at the beginning of what toast can be as we explore other possibilities of how to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Not really that was the Qtips which he was a member of plus it was called "toast" 😶

The band that sang 'Toast', was called Streetband and a young Paul Young, was their lead singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

butter has to go on straight away aswell to melt, otherwise there's no point

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Always drives me mad that we have to buy special sliced pan bread specifically made to fit into a toaster rather than manufacturers making toasters that fit bread in them.

I like well done toast, never understood the point of just warming up the bread. But the upshot is I invariably have to put the bread down twice and try catching it before it burns.

The solution seems to be a transparent toaster that looks like it could fit normal sliced pan but it's €475 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In 2011 when we were also in straitened times, the Toast Sandwich re-emerged from the 19th century as a cheap meal suggestion. 7.5 pence Sterling. Not to be confused with toasted sandwiches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toast_sandwich

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you toast stale bread you get rusks, which were used in the days of sail to provide a way to store food, for weevils.

Interestingly enough in Kenya sliced white bread is referred to as fresh toast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Bought this last week. Dualit, hand built in UK.

Completely rebuildable. Expensive. Last a lifetime. No microchip etc etc to go belly up.

Happy enough with it.

Advertisement