Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DIY install

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I got 2 300w panels for 90 each including the vat

• Registered Users Posts: 64,760 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That was very cheap, but given the wattage those panels were likely old stock, sitting around in a warehouse a good few years and sold as end of line with a significant discount. I remember midsummer.ie selling a batch of them last year - I think they even might have been ancient poly panels - half of them ended up on DoneDeal immediately for much higher prices, LOL!

Where did you buy them and what prices are you looking at now?

Ha found them! They were 275W Trina panels offered to me for €62 + VAT (trade price) by midsummer.ie in May 2020

That's the trick with all this renewable stuff. Buy them (very, very cheaply), install DIY, use them for some time and sell them on when you upgrade for more than you paid for them (to cover the cost of other materials, cables, mounting, etc.). In other words: zero years payback time on your investment. Profit on the very first day you install. If I had the space, I'd install 100kwp LOL, not even messing here.

It was a crowd in Limerick. They were Longi monos. Dunno how long they been sitting around. They had an ad up on donedral, were tucked away at the back of some industrial estate. Ad gone now but I can probably find them on the map

It was quite cheap, but to put things into perspective, midnight are selling very efficient 445W Longi split cell panels for €143 + VAT. Solartricity have Amerisolar 380W for €130 + VAT. Those are from respectable wholesalers with an invoice, warranty and support

Doesn't look anywhere near the double the price you claimed anyway, does it? Those prices are full retail prices on their website right now, you might get them cheaper if you ask for a discount. And that's not taking into account your suppliers credentials or lack thereof 😁

• Advertisement

I'd be paying 70 extra quid for a measily 80w. Not quite double but tis heading that direction

Do you never ask for discounts? And I'm sure if you looked hard like you did last year, you could find some dodgy crowd again that could sell you old panels for a good bit less per watt than those all above board prices from the fully legit boys ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Always best to ask for discount alright, picked those amerisolar panels up in January for 117+ vat from solartricity

And that makes them about 25% more expensive per watt than the ones @Ubbquittious got. Some of that is the extra transport costs. Some of it is the fact they are higher wattage, more efficient panels which are cheaper to fit and make better use of available limited roof space and some of it is because they are from a legit crowd with warranty, support and an invoice

Nothing at all like the dramatics of "Panels are nearly double wha I paid for them last year". QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nofaolain

Thanks for the reply...i might go for panels from China and EU inverter...or try and get deeply discounted panels here...need to figure out if I'm better off getting a battery or running some mining rigs...surely a few more hours of calculations need first :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Inlaws are looking at going the DIY route. I have a couple of questions if you lads don't mind.

Is it OK to keep the old analogue meter?

If DIY is done with only the connection to CU being done by an electrician, is anything else needed? No grant application expected

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Do you include details of the first array as well as the new DIY install.

I assume the installer details are the name of the sparks connecting it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭championc

You don't need any signoff

You initially need to nominate a sparks on the ESB NC6 Form. They send back the approval to proceed letter to the sparks, but the sparks doesn't have to do anything.

You then possibly need a sparks to connect the inverter to the fuse board, but there's no "sign off" thing.

The only difficult bit (IMO) is putting the brackets onto the roof.

CAUTION - Only IE certified Inverters can be installed in Ireland. So while an inverter from China might comply "specs" wise, it cannot be connected to the grid unless it has the IE certification. The cert needs to go in with the NC6

How does the cert work with a second hand inverter?

The cert is like a type approval, not an actual bit of paper that comes with the inverter when you buy it. You can just look up if it is mentioned in the spec sheet of the inverter. It doesn't matter if the inverter is new or second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nofaolain

You don't happen to have a list of  IE certified Inverters lads do ye? I can't for the life of me find one on Google...i know Solis seems to be one of the the go-to brands...but other than that I'm not certain.

• Advertisement

It's only a testing Country Compliance thing - the old certification was EN50438-IE (I think further revised)

I bought a Chinese EN50438 certified Inverter but wasn't permitted since it never got tested and approved under the Irish version of the regulations (even though it was able to adhere specs wise).

So the Irish market is limited to certain models, more due to certification issues / lack of.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭B9K9

I would be willing to compile and distribute a list of approved inverters for RoI if that's OK to send them to jm2833530 at gmail etc.

Nothing wrong surely posting a list here. It's a list of inverters, not installers

There's nothing wrong with doing it, but is there any point much? Just have a look at any inverter for sale on either solartricity.ie or midsummer.ie (the two biggest wholesalers in this country). All of their offerings are kosher.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Mr Q

It might be helpful though. I have a brand of inverter neither of those currently sell, would be good to know all the options I think.

Advertisement