Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extra Charges

• 26-03-2022 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi lads, if a builder never mentions extra charges to you during the build and then in the final bill adds the following:

Concrete block Walls, 215mm thick (changing and increasing width to 300mm blockwork block/cavity/block + 80mm cavity insulation of 7.6 m2 on 1 x wall) Extra-over shown Extra/ variances sheet - €1650.

Do I just have to pay this 1650 extra or is he pulling a fast one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭dubrov

Depends on what type of contract you have.

If it was a fixed price one, the builder has to absorb the extra costs.

The problem is that a lot of builders will stop work if you don't let them pass on the extra cost to you, even with a fixed price contract. If they have no work left to do, they don't really have any leverage left.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

If you asked for the the changes to be made, then you're most likely liable.

He should have told you of any costs to make changes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Agreed. The op obviously requested a change from single block wall to cavity wall so the builder is right in looking for extra. I would query the amount though.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

The construction of a domestic dwellinghouse rarely involves a Fixed Contract Sum.

It appears that the building works are completed.

Are you aware of the extra works, that were carried out.

If the builder did the works outlined on his final account, then you are obliged to pay him.

The builder ought to have informed you of the extra costs at the time of the extra works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭dubrov

I hadn't clocked in the OPs pay that it was a change rather than just an increase in material costs.

Surely any change to the spec would have been agreed and the cost impact discussed. If so, it is only right you pay the builder for the extra work performed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭BalboBiggins

I don't know what this change was. The builder was literally on site 5 times in 6 months and has been a terrible communicator throughout.

Advertisement