Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RIP Taylor Hawkins

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Genuinely saddened by this. Grew up listening to his drumming.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I was a massive fan. RIP, that's very sad. 50 is far too young for anyone to pass.

Very underrated vocalist too. Sunday Rain imo might be the best Foo Fighters track of the past decade. His performance of it at the RDS a couple of years ago was a highlight for me. The outro will be very haunting for me listening going forward.

"Little afraid, little alone, little exhausting..."

Post edited by el Fenomeno on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It really is as many people can live until late 70s... even more. So he could have had another 25 years, even hey 35 years or whatever if he was lucky.

Rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭prunudo

Shocked to hear this this morning, rip Taylor

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Damn, this one hurts. Have seen the Foos numerous times, probably my favourite band, and Taylor was a huge part of that. His charisma on and off stage, the songs he wrote and even sung on many of them. Huge loss.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Sad news, may he RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Any idea what happened ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Look's like a heart attack… potentially drugs involved. Was getting chest pains and rang the doctor, he was dead by time help arrived. Died in his hotel room.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

You know you're good when your the drummer in Daves band.

And Taylor was beyond good, he could do everything and do it better than 99% of others.

Im so sad about this, for all he has done there was still the potential for him to do so much more (anyone who has heard his solo stuff would know that).

Rip to Taylor. You won't be forgotten.

• Advertisement

I'd be surprised if there were drugs involved. Maybe the effect the drugs had on his heart from when he was on them caught up with him, but he seems to have been free and clean for almost 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Very sad, the Foos are a good example of the personalities being integral to the band. I wouldn't have been a big fan of their music (besides the first three albums) but I was a fan of THEM. Their music documentaries were great, and they were great interviewees.

This probably signals the end of the Foos. I can't see them replacing Taylor. This was the last song played at their last gig:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Crazy. Big foos fan here. Big shoes to fill for any drummer joining a band where the front man is already a drumming legend, but he did it.

He was never "the drummer in Dave Grohl's band", which says a lot.

I know the Foos had cancelled a gig a few months back for a "medical emergency" but it was never mentioned who or what it was about. I wonder if he'd been struggling for a while.

RIP

A reminder to all of us that if you want to see a band, just go. Don't worry about whether anyone will go with you. Go alone if you want.

You never know which gig is the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Found that video tough to watch. Such an amazing talent. Rest in Peace, Taylor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wonder if insurance companies for bands / tours don’t insist that the band members have medicals before going on tour ? Then again medicals don’t 100% successfully screen every possible issue.

quite an extreme and physically demanding period, from travel, sound checks, meetings, show itself..but anyway.

RIP to the guy…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

First band I ever saw live in 1995 and Taylor wasn't the drummer then but I've seen him play with them numerous times since, he only joined midway through The Color And The Shape...

What a fabulous drummer, same sentiment as above, I love their first 3 albums or so but not so big on the later stuff, I actually was only listening to the metal album they made for the Studio 666 movies last night oddly enough, I watched the film on Sunday night also, this news has me reeling, may he rest in peace...

Great video of him covering Queen's 'Somebody to love', giving it his all, so much energy and all seem to be loving what they do.

Post edited by prunudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

hate the Foo Fighters with a passion but too young to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Not the thread or moment to be a prick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

whats the problem ?

i repeat

far too young to go

• Advertisement

10 different types of drugs, including opiates found in system. Doesn’t really make a difference but his death was avoidable. At 50 your body can’t handle what it could at 20.

^ There's a lot of jumping the gun as to that report. Many of those substances can be from prescribed medicines. True, a combo of these would lead to issues and apparently his heart was enlarged. But that doesn't mean he was abusing the drugs (not saying you're saying that by the way).

Agreed. There's no signs yet that most of the drugs weren't prescription, such as Antidepressants, pain meds (which given the toll on the body drumming can entail wouldn't be out of the realms of possibility) etc.

He also said he got anxiety from playing live, so add anti-anxiety meds in there too.

That mod can stop deleting posts mentioning drugs now

Cause of death not confirmed but he certainly wasn't clean for the last 20 years as some were suggesting.

Even if opioids were possibly prescription it's well known that there are issues with that, particularly in the US. A Colombian publication is reporting that heroin was involved

Opioids are obviously highly addictive and dangerous in higher doses, whether legal or illegal versions

Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins had opioids, marijuana and other drugs in his system before he died, Colombian investigators say.

A toxicology report showed traces of 10 substances in his body, including anti-depressants.

A major Colombian magazine is reporting that heroin was part of the drug cocktail in the Foo Fighters drummer's system, and that he suffered from an enlarged heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Similar to this. They have a few songs I like (Learn to Fly, Times Like These) but wouldn’t have been a huge fan. Always enjoyed their documentaries though, and watching Dave Grohl being interviewed. Seems like an incredibly nice guy. Taylor too. Always sad to see someone go at such a relatively young age.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Americans take opiates like we take neurafen, they’re legal and dangerous , I had major surgery last year and even though I had to stay a week I was fine , but the hospital went out of their way to ensure I was off the oxi after day 2 . Even with me begging 😂😂😂 a week in bed with no oxi BOOOORING

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, that was a tough one to hear the other morning. We all know he had had his problems with drugs but jeez, who hasn't it seems in that industry. It's hard to see how they could continue. I mean, the Foos have also been going for some time and may well have been looking to wind down soon anyway.

Thankfully I got to see them a few times. First time was when they supported RHCP at Slane in 2003 (And blew them away IMHO). 2nd time was in 2007 when they played in Marley Park (With NIN supporting). Was my nephew's first concert and he loved it. And I got to see them (eventually) a couple of years ago at Glastonbury.

So The Foos may not be for everyone but they certainly gave/give it all on stage. RIP Taylor, ya madman

Advertisement