Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

covid and cycling

• 26-03-2022 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

So have covid last few days and headaches are more less gone very tired ect .

just wondering if anyone had same recently and how soon you got back on the bike.

not looking for medical advice . just how you have got over it yourself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Right. So I had covid last week. Isolated Saturday to Saturday. I was really beaten into submission by it. Bed and couch and no more for about 5 days. Very grabby cough which lingered, and still hasn't completely gone and very tired and fatigued.

So, back to work on Monday I decided I'd fight the fatigue and get back training so I did gym Monday, an hour up the hills Tuesday, gym Wednesday. Nothing banzai and I had to really motivate myself to get out. But once I did I felt good and really felt the better of it afterwards. Thursday then it was such a nice day I did 45k over the Sally gap and again once I got out I felt good. Gym again Friday and today I went back out with my training pals and we did 130k and a load of hills and I felt super! Fucked tired at the end of it but really chuffed with myself. I didn't really know how I would fare, endurance wise.

I wouldn't at all like to minimise anyone else's post covid fatigue levels but for me getting out and active again was exactly what I needed for my head and body.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EAD

Sick enough at Christmas that I didn't want to go anywhere for the 10 days; not dying but not nice.

Took me about 6 weeks to not feel 'empty' on the bike. Was getting out 3-4 times a week but couldn't do anything at pace.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Today is my last day of isolation. I've not been too bad. 2-3 days of sore throat and bad headaches but easily tired all week and feel like my asthma which rarely bothers me is always lurking if I do anything remotely strenuous

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Not me, but a cycling mate was smothering with what he thought was man flu, he tested negative Mon to Wed, I spoke to him on Wed, he sounded very rough. He tested again in Thursday... Positive . I see he did a solo spin on Fri 45km. He did a 100km solo this morning at 28kph. I was amazed as he was in bits on Wed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

It's different for everyone, I used zwift to build up with the handy fall back of being in the garden shed if I felt rough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Tested Positive during the week and had the usual crap sleep and subsequent lack of energy for a couple of days. Did 40k today as the weather was so good and deliberately kept the hr avg very low staying well clear of the red. Still touched 30ph avg for the spin and felt great.

BUT….. I’ve had a dose of the trots since I got off the bike!!! Not pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

I have Covid now, isolation finishes Monday and I'm supposed to be doing Quest Glendalough next Saturday. Was thinking of pulling out but reading above gives me some hope I'll be able to finish it, maybe not at max effort though which is disappointing after three months training for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

@davegilly I’d be worried about the longterm impact of going too hard too soon. Bring some Imodium!!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I had it week before last. Because of work and other commitments, although my spins are frequent they are generally short at the moment - max 50km, more usually between 25km and 35km. First few spins after covid I felt really sluggish. Legs didn't really want to get going, and I was a good 3 or 4kmh slower than I normally would be. Last couple of spins I was back to my normal speeds though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

One person I know has had long covid going on almost two years and their performance has been massively affected.

A club mate recently struggled keeping up with a group and towards the end of the spin we had to stop every km or so until they went home instead of the coffee stop. They seem to be fine now.

Everyone seems to have different reactions to the virus and there is no knowing how you might end up. There are indications that follow on infections, not just covid, can knock you back soon after you overcome covid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a colleague had breathing difficulties from april 2020 (though had never tested for covid IIRC) and when he got the moderna booster before christmas (he'd originally had two pfizer jabs), he was saying his symptoms dropped by well over half in the space of 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

It's a really bizarre disease. I had it at the end of January. I've had worse head colds, and if my two boys weren't already positive, I probably wouldn't even have taken a test. It literally felt like nothing. I've had two Pfizer jabs, but no booster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Got it today (well most likely last week on the train), shortness of breath is the main symptom so far, very odd sensation where every few minutes I have to consciously take a really deep breath. Its like my body isn't reacting to the shortness of breath automatically and I have to force it myself. I tested this morning and was negative. Felt a bit off but the clocks, young people and life, just thought it was a normal not the best on a Sunday morning. Went out for a walk with my partner and just started to struggle a bit. Offered an inhaler (never had one before) and refused, then 5 minutes later I caved as I felt like I was in a CO2 chamber. Not struggling to breath but definitely not getting enough oxygen in. Inhaler was like a wonder drug, perked me up, got home, done another test and a faint line has appeared so obviously just starting to spread. Hopefully this is as bad as it gets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

TUE sorted for the rest of the season 😉

(Joking aside hope you make a full recovery)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Can anyone receive a positive benefit from an inhaler? Always thought it had to be prescribed for you, so interested to hear this as someone with no experience of.

You need a therapeutic usage exemption, basically, you have to need one regardless of whether you were in sports or not. So you are right, it needs a prescription. On the other part of your question, I would presume mileage would vary but most people would get some mild benefit in the right sports from it but it would be a terrible idea to take one all of the time. Long story short, if you see me taking one before a race (or during and I have seen this in A4), it is cheating/doping. If your mate who is asthmatic takes it, then it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ARX

I'm thinking of joining a club but am wary of catching covid (I'm the sole carer for an elderly relative with health issues so I have to be careful). Does anyone know of cases of infection in group cycling?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm not aware of any transmission from a group cycling but I'd say that the spin itself would be unlikely to facilitate transmission as you'd be moving and despite how it may appear, you're still a reasonable distance from the riders around you. However, the level of risk would massively increase at the likes of the coffee stop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd say it'd be very hard to prove any, if it did happen, and it's such a niche way of getting it that i'd say there'd be no data on it regardless.

could you be contagious without having lost form? i.e. would you be suspiciously eyeing the rider who seems to be performing below their usual par?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You no longer need a TUE for salbutamol, at least for inhalers*. They only work at those doses if there's an issue (i.e. if you airways are tight), so there's no point if you haven't symptoms. But it is prescription only. I'm an immunity clusterf*ck (on antihistamines all year for various allergies), so I have it for when the pollen count is high which sparks exercise induced asthma.

*it can also be used in nebulizers, and I think tablets and injections. In those cases, you would need a TUE as the effective dose is higher. Hence Froome getting popped based on dosage rather than substance.

• Advertisement

My view would be to avoid the coffee stop (which makes you cold and slow anyway) and you should be grand. There is very little indicating that transmission occurs in well ventilated, not crowded places and a spin with a few people ticks both those boxes. Nothing is impossible but as activities go, my educated opinion is it is about as safe an activity as you can do. On a related note, we did have cases in the club, but no follow on infections. So people who were positive, went out for a spin (not knowing at the time), tested positive within a day or so but none of those on the spin reported getting it in the following few weeks. An anecdotal account and I imagine you won't get much more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

Recovery seems very variable from person to person. I've never tested positive, but am 99% sure I had it at the start of February as my wife and eldest daughter both had it then and I had the same symptoms (really heavy head cold), bar a cough, plus our youngest had it last week and I spent the week minding him, with no effect.

As to recovery, I had a few spins in mid-late February which would usually be handy enough, but one in particular wiped my out for about 2 days afterwards. I'm finally getting back to being on-track again now, and have been feeling energised over the past week, though for several reasons I've taken to doing the bulk of my workouts on Trainerroad, which as @saccades said means at least all you have to do is stagger off the bike.

In the case of my brother in law who's an extremely fit runner in his early 40s, he's been wiped out since having it in early Feb as well. He tried a 5km run at the start of this month and ended up awake half the night. Even St Patricks weekend, he was down with us an went out on a walk with the kids (5km give or take), and had to lie down for an hour after coming back.

On the other hand, a colleague had it week before last and appears to be back at full capacity now

So OP I think the best advice is to listen to your own body, and ease yourself back in gently, don't overcommit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

got it the weekend before last from one of the kids - was flattened for about 4 days then gradually better, but the cough and head-cold symptoms have only cleared up in the last couple of days. Hoping to get out with the club this week but between the 'rona and the sh!te weather at the start of the month, I've barely been on the bike in March so expecting to struggle a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

My wife is convinced she got it at a club spin before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I tried to figure out where I got it.

When I went researching I learnt that symptoms with Omnicron can present anywhere from 0 to 10 days from infection.

Not the kind of window which would allow for certainty.

I was at a party the day before I tested positive. Was in close contact in a poorly ventilated house and none of the 10 other attendees at party got it off me there.

There is no figuring out where you got it for most people

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Brother in law is just coming out of isolation - none of his immediate family have it (regular tests), the day before he was in a 2 hour car journey with someone who remain negative, and we were all at wider family occasion the 2 days before he tested positive. He has zero symptoms, so only he did a test before going to the office for a day, we would be none the wiser.

tbh, a few people I know have medium term (apparent) side affects, so I'm still reasonably cautious, but at the same time I have to just go on the public health advice. Hard to know if more active people are just more aware of their body - I don't know too many people not training who track their resting heart rate for example. Plus RPE can be a mind trick too, if you're worried about longer term affects.

100%, I still have symptoms but they are getting milder every day but the RPE is variable to say the least, sometimes I get out of breath going up the stairs, other times I am holding the wheels of fit young racers with nary a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Picked it up over Xmas. A sore throat and a trip to the in laws meant I took an antigen test.The positive line almost jumped out of the test kit it was that strong. No one else in the house caught it strangely enough. Symptons were very light. One day of a runny nose and a bit tired. Is been since I have tested negative that its been a disaster zone.

A few days off the bike as prescribed by Doc and ease back into it.

Heart rate was all the place. Any small effort and it went sky high but came back down easily. Its since come under control but is deffo running a good 10beats higher then before. A club mate had it the same time as me and is getting worried. He isnt getting his under control and any hint of an effort and his HR is going over 180.

A few weeks after it and any decent effort was near blackout events. Strange thing is one day I would feel on the floor and the next day I was flying. I then picked a very nasty chest infection*.I am not a big fan of horsing antibioctics into me in a whim so let my body try to fight it for 10 days. Eventually had to give in and got some antibiotics and steriods. Took a good 10 days before it started to clear and then re-appeared for a brief while.

Getting out on the bike was a sombre affair. On one spin I kept getting dropped on the flat with a tailwind. Nearly packed the whole thing in that day.My breathing became so bad that I moved into the spare bedroom for week.

Eventually started to come out of it and early last week picked up something else. Just a mess. Had a medium intensity spin on Sat and felt ok. A few paceline sessions yesterday and am struggling to stay awake today.

*That chest infection seems to a very common thing for a lot of people within a certain time frame of recovery.

TL;DR

Covid over Xmas. Havent been in good health since.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ARX

Thanks for posting that. I'm still in two minds about joining a club. What you've described is putting me off - maybe I'll wait till next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I reckon I picked up the plague from a push button coffee machine after a spin the day before. Not from a club member.

(serves me right for drinking coffee from a push button machine)

Advertisement