Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landlord sent two rent review notices in a month

• 25-03-2022 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi all,

I moved into my current apartment in February 2021. A year sharp after I signed my lease, the landlord / managing agent sent me a notice of rent increase with effect from June 1st 2022. This notice was provided to me mid-February 2022.

Today, I received a second notice of rent review dated March 2022 with a different rate (higher) and effective date July 1st 2022.

I rang them to tell them they had already sent me a rent review notice in February and they acted like they didn't know (they signed on behalf of the LL, right).

I live in an RPZ. The first increase notification was 2%, the second one 2.2%.

This is a bit confusing, so I'm not sure if I should just ask which one is the valid one or what.

Post edited by TheGlossy on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

What is your problem? A clerical error occurred. Life is too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheGlossy

They did not acknowledge it was an error nor did they refer to the first one.

They just sent another notice with a different signature date and calculation as if the first one never existed.

Of course, it is an issue because I do not know which one is the valid one, especially as the second one obviously indicates a higher amount.

I've a hard time believing this is an error as I'm pretty sure they have a pretty good tracking of their rent increases.

Life is too short on certain matters, but not for this type of stuff, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Likely computer generated,no one actually signs letter like that.

I'd send a letter acknowledging the first one, and pay based it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Is it not somewhat irrelevant from a mathematical point of view? Let's say the current rent is 1000:

1st Notice: June 2022 - May 2023, total rent = 12240

2nd Notice: June 2022 - May 2023, total rent = 12242

So a fairly marginal different in total but if you've rounded a little on those percentages, I'd expect the overall rent in the year for the 2nd notice to be slightly less.

As an aside, check that it's a valid notice that includes three similar properties for the same or higher rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheGlossy

A couple of points:

1. I understand the cap for rent increase in RPZ is 2%, so why are they increasing by 2.2%? Yes, it is minimal, but I still wonder. Or maybe am I misunderstanding something?
    2. It was not an automated mail. On both occasions, the notice was sent through the post including: a) with the landlord's wet-ink signature b) the rent increase simulation performed on the RTB simulator c) information on 3 comparable dwellings.
    Therefore, it was not a "clerical error" or an automated process. It was very much a manual one. I simply don't understand why they performed two reviews in less than a month. I think they didn't like the numbers in the first one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If the first one was right on the 12 months then the second would be 13 months, and the 2% is per year max dependant on inflation.

With inflation so high just taking it as the 2% so it'd be 2 vs 2.166.....%

Advertisement