Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mont Ventoux 3 ways

• 20-03-2022 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭

Myself and a buddy are thinking of lining this up the week after the Marmotte. Just the way accomodation is working out, we're being evicted from where we're staying with a couple of days to go before our flight home so we have the option of doing something else entirely. I've always wanted to cycle the Ventoux and it's not too far out of our way and it's also a handy run up to Lyons the following day for our flight home. I'm sure we could put together a lovely route around the area and incorporate the climb itself but it does seem that going up all 3 possible approaches in one go is a thing. It's 137km and 4400m climbing which is pretty epic.

I'm sure one or more of our intrepid Boards gang has already done it! If so, feel free to pass on any tips or experiences, or indeed recommended places to stay around the foothills - Bedoin region.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Had considered trying this before but wasn't in the region long enough so just done one side up. There is loads on the interweb though so worth googling.

I believe there is a 4th way up but you might need a mountain or gravel bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I did a smart trainer session recently on Systm (Sufferfest) which was narrated by Mike Cotty of The Col Collective. Might be worth contacting him to see what packages are on offer. During the video he visited a local business there who made socks specifically themed on climbing the mountain from all three sides in one day - so you'd have to buy a pair of them if you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Two of my friends did the 3 ways in one day about 5 years ago. They got on fine and had good weather for it which helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I did it twice in one day as part of a sportive. That was plenty for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

i did it twice back in 2016 when I was a bit fitter. Possibly would have managed 3 except time was limited - I hired a bike at Bedouin, hit the road just before 9, but had to have the bike back before 6 when shop closed. This was a quick one day dash from a family campsite holiday about 2 hours drive away. A stronger climber (and faster descender) would probably manage it in that timeframe.

Anyway very memorable day - the weather closed in a bit on my second ascent - can be very different at the top than the bottom. If you’re in the area and conditions are favourable on a day, then don’t wait until tomorrow - unfavourable conditions make it very difficult, maybe impossible.

I know it seems obvious, but it’s steep - I did not enjoy the descents (but I’m never a good descender anyway)

Enjoy - you’ll remember it just as much as the marmotte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 marathon50

i did it in early May about 7 years ago by myself. Got beautiful day last 8km to the top was closed to cars as there

was still a bit of snow on side of road. It’s a tough few hours on the bike. Register with the Club Des Cingles Du Mont Ventoux For a small charge they will send you a number for your bike and a card that you will can get stamped in shop or cafe on the accent and decent of each of the 3 sides. You send it back to them and they will record your details on their site and send you back a medal of your achievement. Nothing fancy bit of plastic but nice to have as a reminder. If you are looking for accommodation there are lots of apartments and hotels in Bedoin that’s the side I started from got the hard one out of the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Also did this from all 3 sides in 2015.... Stayed in Malucene at the bottom of the climb so did the first ascent from there, descended into Bedoin turned around and climbed from that side leaving the easiest climb from Sault till last... Very important 😁.... Go for it, savage day on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I've done it a bunch of times, mainly from Malaucène, but once from Sault, and descended through Bédoin one time as well.

I found the road surface the nicest from Malaucene, but from Sault it was the more scenic route I've done. Friend I had descended to Bédoin with previously, went up that way last year and said it was really nice, and the gradient didn't change too much. There's some steeper sections from Malaucène that can be tough.

There's less climbing if done from Sault, and it's also through lavender fields, which smell amazing.

Last time I did it was in October, minus four degrees and snow storm for the last section. An experience, but I wouldn't want to repeat it!

This is a decent parking spot from Malaucene: https://goo.gl/maps/VaX9S3W4nFjgUFbP9 It's up a small bit from the town.

And this place does a decent cyclist meal deal at the top (only option!), including wine: https://goo.gl/maps/JZWEvGVcZo99pv8R8

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

Did the cingles challenge back in 2017, it’s a great day out on the bike, just take your time and enjoy it.

It was August when I did it so an early start was needed to get as much done before it got too hot. Did Bedoin, Malaucene, Sault. I think the Malaucene climb was the toughest, there were a few long straight sections which can be tough, but great speed on the way down if your comfortable with that!

we actually did the climb form Sault they day before too on the way to Bedoin, so went up it 4 times in 2 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It sounds great.

Is there a route map to follow or download or would anyone like to link me up for a Garmin file or something?

Do you go up and down each climb one by one in succession, u-turning at the summit (AA, BB, CC) and circumnavigate the foothills to the beginning of each ASCENT?

Or.

Do you traverse the mountain each time, passing through the summit on each ascent - as in climb up A, down B, back up B, down C, back up C and then descend A back to the start? (If ye get my drift...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Start in Bedoin, up to the top, straight on for the descent to Malaucene, refresh & refuel, back up to the top and take a left at Chalet Reynard on the descent to bring you to Sault, refresh & refuel and back up to the top for the final time. Best of luck but be aware that conditions on Ventoux can change quite fast and descending in cold/rain/hail is no joke so keep an eye on the local forecasts during the day.

Any time I've been there I stayed in a beautiful village called Vaison la Romaine that's about 10km from Malaucene. There are plenty of other spectacular cycling routes (and vinyards) in the area including the Gorges de la Nesque.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭The Ging and I

Just to add to above, if you cannot see the top - do not go up. Be careful on the way down because its not just cyclists who go up there. I have met groups on horses , gangs of motor bikes racing and even one time a Lamborghini racing some type of Audi. There are many nice passes close to Ventoux where you will have the road to yourself. Weekends are busiest .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Great stuff lads, thanks a million.

Advertisement