Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teletext Gone??

Options
  • 22-03-2022 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hello

Has Teletext gone from RTE? Or has it just gone from my TV????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

Gone on mine as well just keeps loading with nothing coming up.

Seems to have been going downhill for a while now. Only get to see TV listings for RTÉ 1 & 2 only now as used to be able get the listings for other channels as well. Also have noticed where entertainment news wouldn’t be updated for a few days as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s going or that was rtes plan…

it used to be online but now the url just redirects you to rte online.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

What platform are you using?

WST Teletext has never been supported by Saorview. There is an Aertel MHEG-5 application that somewhat replaces it.

On Sky, WST teletext is only available on RTE channels if you have a legacy Sky box that can connect to your TV via SCART. RTE never provided an interactive app replacement on the Sky platform

On Virgin WST teletext was only available on analogue. There was an interactive app developed at a particular point but I think it only ever ran on UPC Mediaboxes and not Horizon or VM360.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Peterbilt

Well, the only stations I have are the normal Saorview ones, and up to yesterday I got Teletext on RTE 1, 2 and RTE News channel, and now all I'm getting is a message telling me it's 'loading'......

It's been 'loading' 48 hours now.................................

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Same here,

I thought it was my last software upgrade.

Any new information? I used to find the text service great for news.

Video is fine, but you cannot scan through items quickly, you have to be drip fed.

To be fair though, RTE news is far better than the UK BBC, at least it''s bearable if you have to watch and listen to the whole package.

SK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

Same here on multiple tvs .. loading … but it never loads 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Thought this thread was a windup. Can’t believe it was still possibly on the go! I did enjoy it in 1999 thougg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Being discussed here. There is apparently a problem and it's being worked on......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

What the OP and others are trying to use isn’t teletext and shouldn’t be described as such. It’s called “RTE Aertel” just as the old teletext service was, but it’s actually an MHEG-5 application, as the “Loading…” would imply. (Teletext doesn’t load like that, pages are carouseled by the broadcaster and the selected page is displayed when it is broadcast). The Saorview spec doesn’t support teletext. VM and Sky’s platforms do, and Sky actually still carries it on RTE channels, but there is then another problem in that HDMI cannot carry teletext either, so only TVs where Sky boxes are connected via SCART can display it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

on a sidenote Aertel isn't listing TV schedules for UK channels anymore which is a pity😕

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Peterbilt

It's back! Well done there, RTE. Worth paying the licence for.

Well, almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Or as I have said before you can use an FTA box that can display teletext

Also a TV that can pick up FTA satellite on the RTE1 SD encrypted feed

The WST teletext version has been loading the last few days but hasn't been updated since 940am one morning presumably because the Saorview version wasn't working but it started updating again this evening

Advertisement