Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Charles and Camilla Visit - March 24th

• 23-03-2022 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Surprised no one had started a Thread on this yet!

So the Future King and his wife are visiting tomorrow. Roads closed down by the Viking Triangle from 6am tomorrow I believe. Police cordons out by Ardkeen roundabout at the moment. The Garda Sub-aqua team were parked up by the Tower Hotel today, much excitement 😜

Some footage from Channel 5 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX56KlPR24w

I believe Good Morning on ITV also had a feature but can't seem to find a link to this.

They have no public engagements on this trip so their itinerary is being kept secret, but perhaps they're flying into the airport, maybe out to Dunmore East, possibly stop off in Grow HQ, then into Reginald's Tower/Waterford Crystal surely?

I don't really have any strong feelings on them to be honest, hopefully they'll be treated with respect like any foreign dignitaries and more importantly hopefully it's a boon for Waterford Tourism!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

No nonsense hopefully whatever your politics!

I hope that they are made to feel welcome here like any other visitor to our city!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Flow Motion

"Much excitement... stopping off at Grow HQ..etc"... get a grip bud. Amazing the way some folk wish to forget their past, their heritage, their history.... but are obsessed with the current affairs of other countries. The Great Famine was actually a "mass starvation" of over 1 million and another 2 million forced to emigrate [a quarter of the population]. Genocide would be a good world but probably a bit too un-PC/woke for a millennial cancel culture world eh?. But I suppose there was no social media back in the 1850's so bad luck for ol'Paddy. The god damn awful situation in Ukraine is all over the media so I would ask any of the younger folk to put on their social media glasses and try to imagine what horror befell Ireland back then. The only reason we primarily speak English these days is because the British tried to eliminate the Irish langauge. That and 800 years of oppression of course

This is a good article and highlights how very little our neighbours really know about us and our history. The English school curriculum is a highly sanitised version of "their" achievements. Im sure the Indians, Aborigines, the Boers, many millions of Africans kidnapped for the slave trade etc. would have something to say. Oh but its all ancient history eh? No legacy. Can't blame the current crop.....🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭thefallingman

reminds me of when the queen went to the "rebel" county of Cork, and had them all bending over to take one so they could make a few quid down the english market, absolutely shameful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I hope they enjoy their visit.

Nice to see nothing has changed ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭skaface

Jaysis, was Charlie around in 1850! Feck they live good long lives the old royals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I'm gripped mate, thanks for asking! 😎

Much of my original post was tongue in cheek, but obviously a history expert such as yourself can't be good at everything, such as spotting sarcasm...despite the use of emojis!

I don't remember anyone, me especially, saying I wanted to wish to forget my past, heritage or history, but thanks very much for explaining the famine to me. I hadn't heard of it before! (that's more sarcasm by the way).

It sounds like you walk a fine line, so probably best you avoid the national news, the local radio stations and the newspapers for the next few days.

IIRC Emojis werent around in the 1850's when we were starving & forced to eat hyper-seasonal artisan grass 😘!

Nothing personal against C+C as individual human beings just what they represent. The monarchy. Which is both privileged and archaic in a 21st century world. The United Kingdom as a concept is finished. The Scots & Welsh want out.

Try living & working in the UK during the 70's/80's when the Ra were blowing the place up on a regular basis. That would soften yer cough pretty sharpish. Terry Wogan, who was a huge star in the UK during those times [radio/TV] was told not to play any Irish music on his show. But fair play to the man. He did. It was only when the cultural nature of Ireland became fashionable that the UK [music/film/TV] that the English began to soften somewhat. But Brexit has brought old Johnny Englander back to the table once again. But enough with the history lessons.

I lived in the UK in 70/80s.

Still pretty sure the famine in Ireland had nothing to do with the current royals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭thefallingman

what about the paedo Lord Mountbatten, Prince Charles best mate

What about him?

Doubt he's responsible for the famine either

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What about the four innocent children murdered when Mountbatten was murdered?

What did they do to deserve that?

They did absolutely nothing to deserve that. The scumbag IRA terrorists don't care though about innocent civilians getting killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Most of your post was pseudo history. The word genocide is such a loaded term that it gets thrown around willy-nilly. The concensus among Irish historians is that it wasn't a genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I happened to watch the repeat of This Morning Wednesday night and was impressed with the coverage of Waterford City.

The show linked up with Craig Doyle approx. every 15 mins throughout the show and Waterford City in the sunshine looked fantastic, the aerial views were stunning and fortunately Craig Doyle wasn't as painful as he was when he had his own show. Credit where it's due he really portrayed Waterford in a great light.

The Seagull Bakery also features - getting seaweed into food.

Keep on believing that cosy lil' narrative of yours. The only thing "genocide" is loaded with is the death of innocents;

UN estimate Rwandan Genocide 1999 : circa 800,000

Irish Great Famine 1845-51 : circa 1,000,000

But you are probably right. It wasnt a real genocide. But those numbers tell a different story. Let just call is a mass starvation 🙄

*Sir Charles Trevelyan, was the British civil servant chiefly responsible for administering Irish relief policy throughout the famine years. In his book The Irish Crisis, published in 1848, Trevelyan described the famine as 'a direct stroke of an all-wise and all-merciful Providence', one which laid bare 'the deep and inveterate root of social evil'. [*and btw that citation is from https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/victorians/famine_01.shtml]

Advertisement