Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Adam Project [Netflix]

• 10-02-2022 3:56pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Trailer appeared for one of Netflix's "Big Name" blockbusters. Looks a tiny bit more imaginative than Red Notice, not that that would be hard (ok I promise that's the last I mention that film for now)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Jennifer Garner and Mark Rufalo reunion 😜 I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ooof, way too much of the thing being spoiled in that trailer; good to know Netflix aren't beyond following the crowd in that respect.

Does give off very strong "Amblin" vibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Just finished this. Have to to say it was a tonne of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Really enjoyed it. One of the better Netflix movies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That was an enjoyable ride - nothing ground breaking or anything but a nice near on 2 hours of entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hulk and Electra parents to Deadpool 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭covidcustomer

Really enjoyed this, easy watch and fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This was an awful movie. Utter manure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I said in another thread but it's weird how enthusiastic Netflix are to encourage big, creative auteurs, directors to make their movies... but their blockbusters are all kinda flat and uninspired. Hire a big name for Megabucks, cheap out the rest of the production and coast on scripts that feel like written shoulder shrugs.

This started well enough, channeling some Amblin style vibes of yore but the whole thing just fell apart once the plot got going. There's much worse films in the world but it's the way these Netflix blockbusters come across so flat and unbothered to try too hard. Not egregiously bad but just ... there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

Flat and uninspired sums this up perfectly. It's not unwatchable, but it's painfully generic and devoid of any genuine thrills.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's fun. Very decent cast. But for the love of god that de-aging of Catherine Keener was dreadful...distractingly so. Surprised given the massive budget

Without googling I'll make a guess a huge chunk of the budget went into Ryan Reynolds' bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sunny_Arms

Quick question: red notice or the adam project? I've read other compare these two and I haven't seen both yet. Still deciding whether I'll watch.

I'd say neither TBH. The Ada Project at least had a shade more heart and character in it I guess. Wouldn't have any immediate, alternative recommendations mind you - kinda depends on what you're looking for. Just off the top my head for Netflix's own stable of crowd-pleasers I'd sooner suggest features like The Harder They Fall, Space Sweepers, Extraction to name three from the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homelander

They're both equally generic though I'd say Red Notice shades it. I'd say Adam Project is 5/10 and Red Notice more like 5.5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 onemoreopinion

Very easy film

Neither! Don't waste your time. Watched Adam Project with my nephew and even he could see through what they were trying to do

• Registered Users Posts: 30,724 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I mean, I don't think they were trying to hide anything...

Found Adam Project totally fine. Nothing special, but quite grand. Generally inoffensive with a few nice moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gave this a watch. Really enjoyed it.

Had some good action, adventure, gamery futurey techie stuffs, proper feels moments, humour and a well wrapped story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

I enjoyed both this and Red Notice tbh. Not fantastic films by any stretch but perfectly watchable. I find Ryan Reynolds persona likeable and the kid with him in the Adam Project was very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭conorhal

I hear that Netflix is now using AI to determine if a show gets a greenlight for production these days, supposedly for 30% of their shows.... which explains a lot.

I am now forced to wonder if they have progressed to an AI actually writing and casting their Netflix original movies, because this is what both The Adam Project and movies like Red Notice feels like, a soulless pastiche cobbled together by an algorithm filled with stock dialogue and mathmatically measured story beats and action scenes. It's not offensively bad or anything, it's just bland. I suspect that's the Netflix criteria these days, what can the consumer graze or leave on in the background.

I saw a very salty letterbox review in passing yesterday, which remarked that these kinds of movies are this rote by design; because the presumption is that the audience is doing their laundry, so the films are configured so they don't lose track. That it was presumed the audience will be watching this while doing something else, so there's more emphasis on predictable story beats and exposition-based dialogue than anything visual. Can't have a critical visual clue missed because someone was checking their phone, or pairing socks.

Advertisement