Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Nan Movie

Options
  • 18-03-2022 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭

Why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

I googled what The Nan Movie is after reading your post in the hopes I could answer your question.

I cannot answer.

Seems like a mess though - the guy playing the grandson apparently doesn’t want to do press for the film because of the war in Ukraine* and the director has been removed front the credits.

Are many people in the public eye beating their chests like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,988 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I know Catherine Tate's sketch tv show was popular but did not expect this movie

Before this thread, I had no idea this existed but somehow i already knew it was definitely one of the worst films ever made

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Instead of banning people, Boards should make them watch the whole movie Clockwork Orange style…

• Registered Users Posts: 81,130 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's about 10 years too late, if they made another Ali G movie it would be more of a chance of being a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Thanks for the thread I had not heard of this movie and now can’t wait to see it , I usually spend my time reading Leo Tolstoy and pushkin however due to the current conflict they can f**k off

this movie is just the ticket to fill my passion for absolute genius

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Big screen adaptations of TV comedy shows/sketches rarely work in my opinion. Doesn't sound like this is going to be bucking the trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This has the vibe of Mrs Brown type target audience…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the character was vaguely popular about 15 years ago. What next, a Little Britain movie?

• Advertisement

I didn't realise it was set in Ireland ... did we give this some kind of tax break or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yeah I would agree. They are never good movies. But they must make money. Mrs Brown movie, Harry Hill movie, Keith Lemon movie... maybe the movies are just targeting date night movies or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As soon as I saw this thread title, and realised what it referred to, my immediate reaction was: the plot will either involve a road-trip - or a holiday. There are literally no other plots for adaptations of TV sitcom characters. And soooo ...

Catherine Tate's iconic character Nan hits the big screen as she goes on a wild road trip from London to Ireland with her grandson Jamie (Mathew Horne) to make amends with her estranged sister Nell (Katherine Parkinson).

See? It's a fundamental law of the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Why are any of these TV comedy things given the green light? They rarely ever work and are only something that lives in the moment.

In fact the only movie of a sitcom character (set of characters) that I can think of that were any good were the Steptoe & Son movies from the 70's. The vast majority are lessons in what not to do as far as film is concerned.

@pixelburp As soon as I saw this thread title, and realised what it referred to, my immediate reaction was: the plot will either involve a road-trip - or a holiday. There are literally no other plots for adaptations of TV sitcom characters.

LOL...strangely enough, one of the Steptoe & Son movies involved a holiday. Ruined of course by dear old dad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's potentially an interesting behind-the-scenes story to this one. The film apparently has no credited director, and Bleeding Cool has a story about how the film was completely retooled after initial filming. Apparently, the 1940s story was meant to be the main focus, until they went back and added a lot of the road trip stuff after the fact (sans original director). Sounds like an unholy mess, which the film is going by reviews.

‘Nan’ is funny in a 5 minute sketch, even 10 minutes of her is too much.

She’s an over the top, very intense caricature of a particular generation of rather narrow minded Londoner, complete with catch phrases, and there’s nothing wrong with that in the context of a 10 minute sketch.

Giving her an Irish backstory doesn’t really make sense either. She was profoundly an old Londoner and originally written as pretty xenophobic too. They even had sketches with her not being able to understand Scottish people and making bad jokes about porridge …

I could do without a Lauren (Face! Bothered? I ain’t bothered!) movie as a sequel.

I like Catherine Tate and Mathew Horne, but it doesn’t look like they’ve really had their talents put to the best of use!

Also, the timeline is way out of sync. Anyone who was having flings in their 20s the 1940s is is now likely approach or already hundred years old. I know movies don’t necessarily have to follow real world synchronisation, but today’s ‘nans’ had their flings in the 50s and 60s…

That generation who were adults during WWII is no longer with us.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So they've basically managed to make Agnes Browne and Mrs Brown's Boys DMovie in to one film, but based on an entirely different character.

Well, Agnes Browne, Mrs Brown’s Boys D’Movie interpreted through Dad’s Army, Alf Garnett with a bit of ‘Where’s me wash Board?’ and a good old Knees up!

It’s like they were designing a movie addressing Brexiteers who read The Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

The original movie sounds far more watchable and interesting.

Plus the Yanks didn't enter the War till 1941.

• Advertisement

Wasn't a movie originally. Was a character in a series of sketches on the Catherine Tate Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Advertisement