Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bacon eye loin??

• 21-03-2022 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭

Saw this in Tesco

anyone know what it would be like?

looks lovely and lean..

apologies - no idea why pic is side ways

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Just subbing to this thread, because I'm also curious, but have no idea, sorry Sporina! Hopefully our expert boardies will weigh in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

looks good - would be fab with cabbage me thinks..

• Administrators Posts: 53,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I always thought the eye loin was basically a roasting cut that's essentially the bit that usually becomes pork chops.

But that cut looks too big for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

Eye loin is the oval bit of pork chop/rasher, gets bigger towards one end of the loin so depending on where bit is from size would differ. It would be very lean as it doesn't have the 'tail' fattier bit on the chop/rasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's the worst part of a loin/back rasher!

It's the rasher without the tail. If you like your bacon lean, this is for you.

Would boil nicely for bacon and cabbage. The whole loin would appeal more to me - I like a bit of fat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

For a fiver it's surely worth taking a risk and trying it OP, will you try it over the weekend and let us know your thoughts?

Cabbage, carrots and mash, sounds lovely for a Sunday dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

@Esse85 will defo give it a lash soon and get back to ye with my feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

They have similar smoked bacon loin in Lidl I regularly get. It's great for boiling but don't go by their cooking time whatever you do. Get a meat thermometer and cook to between 60-65°C. Anything more and it dries out and becomes tough.

Ikea do a grand digital thermometer that you leave in the meat while cooking and the alarm beeps when the desired set temperature is reached.

Advertisement