Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toyota bz4X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Panasonic make their Ni-MH batteries too, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Toyota have been using Li-ion (NCA) batteries supplied by Panasonic since at least 2012 for EV and PHEV applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭innrain

It is like they want to be confusing. The Autoxpress before last issue had a special number where amongst others, the new Toyota BZ is presented. The article informs you about nothing and one can find that the author struggles to say something positive about the car. And nothing it is certain even though the car is "On sale now". 'It is dotted with "however...", "..yet to be finalised...", "but it is ...", "this is still a positive...', "But Toyota might have...", did I say "however,.."?

The cherry is in the picture below and I let you find it.

And that's how the bZ4X feels in general from our first taste - like it has been benchmarked against its rivals to deliver competitive but not class-leading ability in the key areas an EV needs to.

My read, yet another EV designed to disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

FWD AWD lol!

But yeah, there'd plenty of info on the Toyota site re the trim differences.......but nothing on technical differences or pricing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Is the official WLTP written anywhere ?

From https://www.toyota.ie/models/bz4x

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

I got to see it in Dundrum yesterday.

The round steering wheel is a disaster. It cuts into the drivers display in all positions. Its very annoying, causes eyes to go a little wonky. Theres a special term in physics for it but i cant remember. e.g. try putting your cup or mug between you and the screen and read the text here. You eyes get a little messed up from it. Until they have the steering yoke then i wont buy this car.

Advance will not be available in ireland until 2023. Only premier and Sport available in 2022

Ranges, WLTP Advanced 500. Sport 485. Premier 435.

Advanced will not have powered boot, carplay/android auto and a bunch of other stuff. Will have basic seats etc.

The boot is average and I can reach the switch on the rear of the seats to drop them down. Seats are not fully flat.

No Frunk.

Boot has a small compartment under the flat bit which holds your charging cable.

Rear passengers space is huge. Biggest i have even been in.

Front Driver and passenger positions are comfy but the foot well on the pasenger side is narrow. kinda weird considering how wide the car is.

It is nothing like the Rav4. I test drove the Rav4phev, thats a tall jeep. the bz4x is a large car raised off the floor.

Prices, 43950 +delivery etc. Sport and Advanced have not got their prices sorted yet. Compared to competition and experience with the car so far, I would expect the Sport to be 48K and the Premier to be 52K.

The key thing here is that I couldn't sit behind that steering wheel everday. it just doesnt work. The car was not designed for a steering wheel.

They need to get that Yoke sorted asap. then ill buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭creedp

How could a company like Toyota make such an elementary mistake with the steering wheel. In the OP pictures it's not that obvious that the steering wheel is obscuring the display. Does it depend on how you adjust the steering wheel height?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

I like it and again a trusted brand with decades of car manufacturing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Steering yokes on road cars seem to be roundly lambasted and despised.

Ranges, WLTP Advanced 500. Sport 485. Premier 435.

why does the range change for different trim levels, battery is the same and surely not much of a weight difference?

Unless Premier is AWD only ?

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Extra features consuming extra power. Bigger screen, more safety features constantly running, bigger less efficient wheels. Big difference between advanced and premier though!

• Advertisement

seems excessive .. the equivalent in the skoda has less than 10 km difference in range

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭innrain

Premier is on 20" wheels. The others are on 18" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭keanebg1

Seems the steering wheel positioning has the same problem as Peugeots small steering wheels... they want you to position the top of the wheel below the speedometer, otherwise they get in the way/line of site. Some people love it, some cant get used to it.

Toyota Ireland is pleased to confirm that its online reservation allocation for its forthcoming full battery electric, bZ4X, is fully reserved and online registrations are now closed. Toyota reported swift trading since online reservations first opened with over 2,000 parties registering their interest on Toyota.ie.

Those who missed out on the online reservation period and are interested in getting behind the wheel of the hotly anticipated bZ4X this year, are urged to contact their local Toyota dealer as soon as possible before the full Irish provision of vehicles is sold out. The bZ4X's 71.4kWh battery offers a real-world range of 500+ km and, thanks to 150kW fast charging and an 80% charge in approximately 30 minutes.

The images are taken from Toyotas official video.

The last pic is exactly how it looked to me.

You can put the wheel lower - its uncomfortable down that low and the top of the steering wheel is cutting off the bottom of the screen.

You cannot look through the steering wheel as its the smallest steering wheel i have ever seen in a car.

The picture with the Yoke shows how it was designed to be.

Agreed but this one only needs a 150 degree turn to go full lock. I think it will work very well.

Sport and premier are pretty much the same thing except for pano roof, 360 cameras, rear cross traffic. The roof might do it a bit but i suspect its got to do with the AWD.

The big in cabin tech jump is between advanced and sport but thats only 15kms different.

Im thinking you are might be right. bigger wheels and awd would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

All this chat about the steering wheel... Can you not adjust the seat or something? That other thing looks like something out of a computer game and an absolute gimmick. How are you supposed to feed it through your hand and slip back?? The feed and slip is the fundamental joy of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

• Advertisement

not a road tripper !! 4 hours to fast charge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Trusted? One of the biggest lobbyists against climate action makes them one of the most untrustworthy companies on my book. Up there with Exxon Mobil

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The single motor has a different battery pack and will charge faster apparently.

Will be interesting to see if Toyota update the charging curve at a later date.

We can clearly see that the car can do 87 kw at lower SOC so the potential is there to flatten the charge curve.

The Mustang had some similar issues at higher SOC - it used to drop to 12 kw at over 82 percent and I understand that Ford changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

How are they one of the biggest lobbyists against climate action? Looking forward to seeing the evidence you have to back this statement up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's not a controversial statement. It's quite well known. They've even been ranked third among global corporations, behind ExxonMobil and Chevron, in their lobbying against climate policies. Even the companies own investors have started having a go at them, telling them they need to change.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Can’t DC charge the AWD version if the temp is below 0 degrees Celsius 😂😂😂

2 Charging times are estimated based on ideal charging conditions. As temperatures decrease below 50 degrees Fahrenheit, charging time will increase significantly. Drive battery level and condition, charger specifications and DC charging more than twice per day also can negatively affect charging time. DC charging may not work on AWD bz4x when the temperature is below 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

Also DC charging more than 2 times per day will have a detrimental effect on DC charging speeds…… so that’s the Taxi drivers fecked…..

https://pressroom.toyota.com/five-things-to-know-about-the-all-electric-toyota-bz4x/

4.4 hours to DC charge from 0 up to 99% (the guy got bored and quit at 99% as it looked like never making it to 100%)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TzCMsKd8s8

What an absolute turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Isn't taking forever a normal part of DC charging to 100%, which is why you don't do it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah but they can all still eventually get to 100% and no more than 4 hours certainly…. I’ve been to 100% on a DC charger a few times and the entire charging stop (from around 30%) was never more than an hour.

the guy gave up as after over 4 hours waiting, it wouldn’t budge from 99%

the charging curve was also fairly brutal…. 50% and it was down to 50kW

Toyota are either incredibly incompetent, or they just do not want this BEV to succeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's the AWD car in the YouTube clip and there's a different battery in it compared to the RWD which apparently charges better.

Advertisement