Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a bulk feed bin

• 01-07-2008 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi. My old feed bin is on its last legs so I need to replace it. Does anyone here have any advice. I would need a 5 to 7 ton bin. I have seen the fiberglass ones. Is there any advantages to these over the stainless steel ones.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

kfk wrote: »
    Hi. My old feed bin is on its last legs so I need to replace it. Does anyone here have any advice. I would need a 5 to 7 ton bin. I have seen the fiberglass ones. Is there any advantages to these over the stainless steel ones.
    Thanks

I think th emain advantage to the fiberglass bins is that there is less condensation than with the steel bins so there would be less lumps, but I can't tell you what the price difference. Also in theory, fiberglass should have a much greater life span than steel, although with galvanising these days, I think any new silo will last longer than any man. My preference for a meal silo is the V-Mac which I found to be very solid and practical with its lockable doors and easy access.

I saw another company selling the fiberglass bins called Mardel, they're based in Galway or Roscommon. They claim to be the cheapest in the country. Might be worth checking out.

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

Thanks Reilig. I saw one of the fibreglass bins from mardel a couple of days ago. The farmer had it delivered about a week ago. Tried to ring mardel yesterday and their phones seem to be out of service (in both Galway and Roscommon). Their website is not functional either so I am guessing they have closed down! Just had a look at the v-mac silos on the net. They look pretty good so Ill give them a call today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Spirofeed in Mallow are a good company who make galvanised and galvanised+painted bins. They're good, no-nonsense designs and good value.

Thanks for the replies. I bought a stainless steel bin from Crowley Engineering in Cork. Had it delivered yesterday. It seems to be a well constructed bin. Like Dan said, by the time a stainless bin comes to the end of its life, I'm not going to be too bothered about it. I checked out Spirofeed also. They had nice bins but were slightly more expensive and had a longer delivery time. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

kfk wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I bought a stainless steel bin from Crowley Engineering in Cork. Had it delivered yesterday. It seems to be a well constructed bin. Like Dan said, by the time a stainless bin comes to the end of its life, I'm not going to be too bothered about it. I checked out Spirofeed also. They had nice bins but were slightly more expensive and had a longer delivery time. Thanks again.

I have never seen the stainless steel bins, they must be a savage price, My old galvanised steel one is now 22 years, & nearing renewal but i think I will go for the same again.

• Advertisement

snowman707 wrote: »
    I have never seen the stainless steel bins, they must be a savage price, My old galvanised steel one is now 22 years, & nearing renewal but i think I will go for the same again.

Its a galvanized bin! My wife is talking about fitting a new kitchen at the moment so I am hearing a lot about stainless steel. I hope I didn't tell my building contractor that I wanted a stainless steel shed:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

A wipe clean shed. I like it. For the farmer with germ phobias:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 metaltech

Biomass Silo Systems Ireland - Search on Google

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

Suspect they got sorted…..

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Will there be any need for meal bins next winter for the beef farmers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Beef will be €6 a kg. There’ll be lads looking for new ones 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

Every penny will be needed.

If you get up to scratch your arse you need to pay to sit back down at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

Out of interest, has anyone priced a bin recently? I suppose like everything else, they are twice the price of what they were a couple of years ago.....

Advertisement