Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts on this Leaf

• 09-03-2022 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Hi. Hoping to get some advice from you guys on this Leaf - https://www.carsireland.ie/3046292.

Currently driving a 1.8L petrol Honda FRV - which drinks fuel but I do like the boot space as it can fit 2 bikes. Time to say goodbye to it though.

99% of our driving is within say 50KM of home, we WFH so no daily commute. We have space in the driveway for a home charger - RCB fuseboard in garage extension near driveway. House has old 1970's wiring for the most part.

Wondering if you think this car is good value, what can we do at home to get fast charging and will this Leaf do fast public charging if charge point allows?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Looks like a beauty if you ask me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Take that 137km range with a pinch of salt, I doubt that on a 7 year old degraded 24kwh battery pack

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nice colour, it’s an SVE too so all the toys including led headlights, heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, surround view and leather.

My old 2014 with 11 bars would do 100km at 100km/h to give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,753 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It's also a well known second hand EV seller with a good reputation in the EV world. Price is reasonable enough, seeing as older EVs are shooting up in value again in the last few weeks. For obvious reasons.

Let's heat and drive using electricity and let's not spend money on fossil fuels to sellers who will use it to finance wars and suppression in eastern europe and the middle east...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Thanks for the comments.

Is there any difference between granny charging at home and via wall box at home in terms of speed? Seller has fitters he can recommend.

With seats folded, can you fit 2 bikes in the boot!!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭sh81722

I was able to transport one hybrid bike with panniers easily with front wheel removed so the chances are high that two would also fit. The rear seat bench is a bit high due to the battery underneath.

The car can charge at approx. 50% quicker from dedicated charging point if it has the standard 3.3 kW charging or at 270% ~27A) with the 6.6 kW option.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Granny charger will charge at 2.3kw.

wallbox will charge at 3.3kw unless this has the optional 6.6kw charger on board.

Sk keeping it simple, 24/2.3 or 24/3.3 or 24/6.6 for charging times 0-100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭creedp

I have a 2016 L30 with 146km on clock and 10 bars (78% SOH) which also shows 130km odd on the GOM. However, unless I drive extremely frugally and dont do a lot of short journeys, I'd be lucky to get 110kms out of a charge.

I get a 20'' mountain bike into mine (which was why I was surprised RSSymons couldn't get one into a Model X or Y) but I wouldn't fancy trying to load/unload 2 bikes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm gonna echo other comments about the range, we've a 2016 Leaf24 with 11 bars, summer range around 100km playing it safe, can get a bit more if you're living dangerously

I'd say getting 2 bikes into the boot will be a bit tricky, I got one bike in but handlebars were turned so getting another one in would be almost impossible

You could get a tow hitch and bike carrier. The leaf officially doesn't support a tow hitch, but I've seen a few around so it's definitely possible. The carrier will eat some range but chances are you'll be driving slower so it'll balance out

I would definitely get the wall charger, and get one that goes to 32A even if the Leaf doesn't support it. The home charger grant will disappear at some point and it's better to be future proofed now so the next EV

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

You can fit two foldable bikes in the boot. It will do fast public charging (Chademo).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I was just looking at this one today too. We need a second car for local runs and have been looking at replacing the main car with an electric too. Was thinking the leaf would do the job for the local runs and be something we could get pretty much immediately and get us one step into the EV world.

Fight you for it steamsey? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Thanks for the responses - I think I might try for a 30kW with 6.6kW onboard charger - I'll take lower spec for a bit more range and faster home charging so have at it molloyjh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

6.6kW onboard is a rare beast, it was £1.2k extra at time of purchase so not many went for it. The standard 3.3kW will fully charge the Leaf overnight, there's no need to go for it unless you will be charging during the day "in a panic"

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

When I ordered my 2015 SVE Leaf the single greatest extra I wanted was the 6.6 Kw charger, think about it, the faster you can charge the better, it made a big difference at a public AC point and even saved me a long time waiting when fast chargers were down compared to the 3.3 Kw would have taken a lot longer to wait. 11 Kw made a big difference again when I got the BMW i3 94 Ah (33 Kwh ) Rex and I wish my 77 Kwh VW id3 had 20 Kw AC charger because the battery is so big.

Leaf is a good car, nice to drive, nice place to sit, it's a good work horse.

Advertisement