Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost comparison: EV vs Petrol Hybrid

• 17-03-2022 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Apologies if this has already been discussed million times but I'm trying to find out a cost comparison of an EV versus a Petrol Hybrid.

The BEV Toyota bz4x is going to be around 43k according to their website and the CHR hybrid is 30k. Wondering if I should spend the extra 13k on the BEV.

I will be able to charge at home. My annual usage should be around 10k-15k kms.

Anybody here who has that sort of comparison/analysis done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

For a rough estimate look at the published fuel consumption. A phev complicates things as you need to work out what proportion of your journeys are fully battery or hybrid.

For a pure ev charging at daytime rates

20 units/100k x 0.20/unit = €4 per 100km

For petrol

5l/100km x 2.00/l =€10 per 100km

For phev 50k battery, 50k petrol somewhere in between

I have large phev suv, got average fuel consumption of 3.6l/100km during the summer with a few camping trips mostly on petrol. It's closer to 2.5 now .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

With a PHEV do you have a petrol consumption of 3.6l/100km plus a kWh/100km as well to calculate total energy usage? Or is it all included in the 3.6 via some internal calculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Sorry I didn't mean a PHEV. Just a normal petrol hybrid like Toyota CHR

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

And if you have an ev, a day night meter is a no brainer, last I looked Electric Ireland has 19c day and 10c night,

That would pull it down to €2 per 100km.

20kwh/100km would be motorway driving, ours on R and N roads in winter we're at about 17-18kwh/100km

Quick Google shows a chr has an average fuel efficiency of about 8L /100km so that's €16/100km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭innrain

Taken from EPA in the US. The have a unit called mpge miles per gallon equivalent to allow a direct comparison. I converted in l/100km which is a linear unit and allows comparison.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=42145&id=40585&id=45013&id=43557

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Wow that's a huge difference. Would've been a complete no brainer if range anxiety wasn't an issue. I might wait for bz4x to be launched then :)

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I don't think you'll get too many here lauding the bz4x. Its spec was a bit of a let down for a 2022 EV. No heated anything a standard. No parking sensors as standard. No Android Auto/Apple carplay as standard. Need to spec them or get the sport version.

Didn't want to be accused of too much ev bias 😉 also rounded numbers to make mental maths easier.

Just petrol, don't have the breakdown of how much was solely battery. Charge every night and probably use most of that so add 80c a day for c45-50km . Nearly 20k done in 9 months

Mobile version isn't replying to posts properly, hopefully you can workout which posts I was replying to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Ahh, you have to hit quote, not reply.

Myself - a 2015 Nissan Leaf 24kWhr - literally getting 1km per %. Do 80-120km per day. (There's some small drag I can't find which means I'm getting 17kWh/100k, was closer to 15 when I first got it)

Mrs Kagy has Kia Sorrento PHEV. 40km per day normally, but weekly site visits which could be more than 300km round trip. Normally get 45-50k out of the 10kWhr usable battery.

Both charged at home overnight and topped up on day rate if needed.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

The Sorrento PHEV is some car. Kia/Hyundai know how do build a good PHEV.

Will you stick with the leaf for a while longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

That’s not comparing the hybrid though? That has an ice Honda chr vs ev.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭innrain

Toyota not Honda. Is there a different CHR than hybrid? You can search for the desired model but unfortunately the site is for the US market so you may get different variants unavailable here especially on the petrol side.

I'll run it into the ground. It's the top model so still a comfortable car and nice to drive. Would even consider battery swap if it dropped to 2-3k in the future. Bought it for 13.5k 4 years ago , would prob get 7 or 8 for it now on trade in, and a 2019 leaf is 20-23k

Advertisement