Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Servicing an Omega

• 27-02-2022 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

any idea what it would cost (Planet Ocean 44mm) and who to go to/ there was a guy in Kilkenny, anyone know if he’s still doing it?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

paging @OmegaGene

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

There is a guy in Kilkenny and I used his services before and I can't fault him, I would go there again and wouldn't hesitate recommending him. However I did have an Omega with him that had a problem and needed certain parts and he wasn't able to get them cos he doesn't have all the latest Omega certs.

A regular service may not be problem and if parts beyond service wear-and-tear parts were needed it depends on the age of the watch, too.

On the upside a full Omega service will cost upwards of €500 and with the way prices have gone most likely quite a bit more. He will be way cheaper than that, he has a price list up on his website. A regular service will be €260 and another €70 if you want polishing. Chronographs will be another €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,458 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is it John O'Donoghue in Kilkenny?

thevintagewatch.net, I've used him for a service on my erstwhile VC and couldn't fault him. Reasonable price, great Comms and good service.

ye that's him, gentleman

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Thanks all…….👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭micks_address

for the modern seamasters/co axials.. are there options to service in ireland? Omegagene.. whats the process of using Omega directly? how do you initiate it?

No issues with brexit?

There shouldn't be but it depends no how prepared the business you're dealing with is.

For consumer goods bought in the UK basically they can make the UK vat come off as its an export and then you have to pay the Irish VAT instead. Many businesses already do this for you. If they don't typically the carrier does it which attracts another fee. Of course this only works for brand new products.

For services I'm not sure what the story is but I assume its the same/similar.

I'm just curious how it works.

Like I said you buy a product for export the VAT will be taken off and then will be applied in the country you're importing it to. All it takes is a formal export declaration with the value of the goods/service.

I've bought several items in the UK post Brexit and that's how it works. Big retailers take care of it for you.

• Advertisement

. Asking about the Omega process. Any time I email the omega website it takes weeks to get a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

My 6 month old seamaster professional had a problem with the clasp. It 'popped' apart last week. Anyway, it's busted. I went into an AD in Cork (Keane's) with my warranty card but they claim the warranty only covers the watch head and not the bracelet. I thought that didn't sound right, but the warranty wording is a bit vague.

Then they said they can send it to Omega to see what they say, but would have to charge me €50 to post it and it would take 12 weeks. Or I could pay them €115 to fix it on site and have it back in about 6 weeks. I told them to fix it on site. For the sake of €50. Sh1tty enough service though imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Omega UK is the people to deal with /email? There's no Irish rep? Other than the Weirs, Keane's etc as ADs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Is there somewhere in particular in London you could drop the watch into and pay the same or slightly less than Weirs in order for them to ship it off to Omega for a service and potential minor repair? Think I have read on here that Weirs are even less helpful than Keanes (didn't buy it in Weirs, bought from AD abroad).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I think I'll go down that route next time I am in London, avoid the mark-up that Weirs will take. Seamaster is 5 years old and not serviced to date so feels about time.

Advertisement