Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic fun car for summer

• 15-03-2022 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all

I'm looking to pick up a classic car for the summer for around 4k just something fun for the weekends to take out for a good spin.

looking at the likes of a

Mx5 , Z3, Z4

Other suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Suzuki Cappuccino? I had one for 8 years... great turbo powered fun in a tiny package 🙂

Get something over 20 years old and you can avail of Classic car insurance. Over 30 and you get Classic/Vintage motor tax.

Watch out for rust at those ages though. Might be an idea to head over to the Classic car part of this forum for a better view.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Ryano87

I think you may double your budget being honest. Mx5s were once a great shout but now anything decent is at least 7-8k.

Z4s are too new for classic motoring and z3s have shot up in value.

Sellers market at the moment. Lately I've being enjoying classic golf motoring. They are a fun drive and very maintainable DIY so wouldn't rule one out.

I've owned all of your suggestions and early mark 1 mx5 would be my pick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 me_for_president

Thanks for the help early mark 1 mx5 very nice would love one those . You are right it is a sellers market the only bad thing but you can be lucky and pick up a good find.

Do you recommend a 20 year old golf ? For some fun to drive on weekends?

Suzuki Cappuccino good shout

Definitely yes rust would be the main thing to look out.

Seen a Z3 for under 4k

1998 , 135k miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

MK3 Golf cabriolets are cheap at the moment, a Bettle cab would be nice too but rare.

Neither will set the world alight but you'll get the wind in your hair.

Alfa GTV, if you can get one, would be my choice.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not for me, thanks for suggesting

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've a 2.8 Z3. Great summer car to drive but be aware of the tax. Remember it's based on old engine cc so the bigger the engine the bigger the cost!

• Advertisement

I've two mark 2 golfs (circa 35 years old) at the moment I'm using daily. Both are fine cars and as long as are kept clean and used will handle the Irish weather no problem without being garaged. They are as fun as an mx5 in their own way and very handy to work on.

Personally wouldn't go near a smart roadster and wasn't impressed... Mine leaked like a sieve and the gearbox shift was so so in them.

I'd a z4 which I loved... But it was expensive to keep on the road (tax, petrol and maintenance) but beautiful car and one I regret selling.

Another car which was really nice to own and could get classic insurance on was the Mercedes SLK 230 (not dissimilar to the clk linked above) nice to drive but more or a cruiser than a sports car. They were very cheap (circa 2k) up until recently so might still be some bargains to be had

What about a Mk1 Audi TT Quattro?

Two fantastic looking cars you have, you keep them in great condition 👍 how much did you buy the mark 2 for ? Did you have to do much work to it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Audi TT Quattro is a beautiful well made car, but it's not fun. Far too boring to drive. SLK is a lot of value for money, but more of a cruiser, not so much fun to drive and almost all of them are autos. 6 years ago you could have had a Boxster for your budget, but those days are long gone. And I don't think you can find a good one of the cars in your OP for your budget, Z3 maybe a leggy one, ditto MX-5, no chance of a Z

What you can get is a good MG-F. Now there is a lot of fun. It is lightweight, mid rear engine and RWD. Freely revving K-series engine and you will have oodles of fun around the twisties

Alfa GTV is a decent beautiful choice but you won't find a cabrio for your budget and not as fun to drive as the MG-F

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

I’ve a 2002 VW Golf Convertible with 48,000 miles on it. One owner before me and they put new callipers and Catalytic converter on it just as I bought it from them. I have to book NCT for it but it’s very cheap and fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Daihatsu Copen lovely little runaround

The perceived level of homosexuality would rocket for those last two.

Are they any worse than a Golf convertible? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Z3s are starting over here around £1000 if you're decent mechanically, or £3000+ for a good one.

TTs are cheap as chips, a local one went for £650 last week and was really well looked after, owner just wanted it moved along.

RX8s are very cheap too, but obviously not the car you want sitting outside if you want to be guaranteed to get anywhere! (if it does start though, you'll have great fun in it!)

All of the above aren't quite classics yet but great fun weekend cars, and plentiful over here.

MR2s would fit your bill, I got mine for £1200 and it's a fantastic car. At your higher budget, you've got way more scope for fun! Good suggestion above for CLKs too, I scrapped my one on Saturday but it was a brilliant car for me while it lasted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Patser

Lacks the name and cred of the likes of a Z4 or MX-5 but actually a great little fun car to drive - Opel Tigra. I've seen them on sale for as low as €800, which means you've little at risk if you decide to get rid of it in winter. Decent example below.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The Z3 is the best I think ,should get a classic one around 20 year mark.

Are they expensive to work on? I know the tax is high but wouldn't be paying it off in one go,

Can't see any Mx5 and i wouldn't pay mad money for one as I only want something for the summer so won't be driving it as a main car.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Perhaps you are a bit unsure about your own sexuality and you therefore prefer a big 4x4 truck? 😉

I saw a film about that theme last night. "The Power of the Dog". Pretty good, go watch it. You might learn a thing or two about yourself.

Mark 2 GTi stands me over the 8 grand mark but I've done a lot of work to it myself which I'll never get back.

The convertible stands me a little less but I'm still sorting out a few bits and pieces as I go along. I really am enjoying it though.

I've a few older classics too but keep them in storage. The MGB GT below is mine which I've put countless money into over the last 15 odd years .... Although I love that car... The 1980's golfs and 90's mx5's are far more usable and hence enjoyable.

I see a few disparaging remarks about some of the cars in this thread - I wouldn't let them put you off. At the end of the day buy a car you like that gives you a buzz and you look forward to working and driving it. Buy right and you won't lose very much money at all. The main thing I want from a car is to enjoy it.. feck any begrudgers!

Btw. I think the daihatsu copen is a good shout as mentioned above. Nice one on DD for less than 3k EUR at the moment. Best of luck with whatever you end up with

Advertisement