Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DIY install

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Have you not seen the semiconductor market in the last year. Prices don't always go down 😋

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah I thought not. Next time you should tone it down when you berate people for their money arguments and you don't know what you are talking about.

I like your optimistic attitude :-)

And yes, loading the battery up at night from mostly renewables is better for pocket and planet. I have been doing that for years. And the more electricity you consume in the house (with a fairly large PV install), the quicker the battery pays back for itself. But with some sort of FIT imminent, it is almost certain that if you have a battery installed by someone, without a subsidy (those are the 2 conditions I keep mentioning), that the battery will never pay for itself unless you are lucky that the whole system keeps working for the like of 30 years or so, I wouldn't bank on that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, generally that's true mate. Course it also depends on making sure that what you buy is "fit-for-purpose". If you spend an outrageous sum of money on a battery from one of the more "pricey" companies out there (we all know who I'm talking about :-).....while you will get payback, you could be talking ~20 years. Similarly if you buy a battery which is too big for your consumption and you can't "cycle it", then your also going to struggle to generate a good payback timeline.

So just a little bit of prudence and off-the-shelf should be a decent "win", but there's no denying that if you want a super quick ROI (could be as low as 20-30 months!) a DIY battery is the way to go - course not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Ouch. I have only provided a viewpoint that conflcits with your very stubborn (there is only one way) attitude. Its not needed in this forum - you ought to try and be a little more polite.

I linked to two posters who said they got a price on a Battery. I never claimed to have got the price myself. Check yourself they are both in this thread - and neither has returned with more info. Maybe it exists today, maybe it doesnt. It certainly will sooner or later.

I agree with the calmer and more circumspect @bullit_dodger - paying too much for anything will never pay back. But cycling an off-the-shelf 10Kw battery will be fine for my circumstances if the price is close to DIY (ie not triple).

Edited: Im going to give you the last word cuase i suspect thats all you really wanted.

Post edited by yankinlk on

• Advertisement

Yeah. But the price isn't close. Which was your point. You were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

Hi Pataman,

Did yangtzee solar organise the customs clearance or did you contact Cardinal Maritime yourself? I'm currently getting a quote off them to comapre to a quote from a here and i'm trying to get a full price together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Hi

They appoint the agent here, Cardinal Marine. They will look after all aspects incl customs. They will also offer cheaper carriage from China than Yangtze offer. Call them for a quote.

Finished my system today: 7 panels(410w each) on East and 7 on west. Currently 11:20 and its generating roughly 2kw.

Very happy😀

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Coddle4dinner

Do you buy the mounting system off them too?

can you share your shopping list ? very interested .

Thanks

Here you go:

Bear in mind I changed to a hybrid inverter for approx $300 extra

As above call cardinal marine, he claims to beat the transport charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Coddle4dinner

some value there.

If yangtze are $344 shipping im not sure i'd bother with a 3rd party. Or do you need them to clear customs ?

They are good prices, thanks for sharing @Pataman

What did you have to pay in customs / VAT for bringing it in?

They appoint Cardinal Maritime here to complete the paperwork

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

Here's my Quote from them. I'm still fine tuning a few bits such as the panel type and wether i need the circuit breaker and i'll take out the tool kit too. I Think the guy i'm dealing with isn't too strong on ins and outs of the shipping so i'm asking a few questions on that too.

I would also need to add in a fireman switch and a hot water diverter too. If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again for sharing. On the face of it your system looks great value, I mean a 410W panel for $105 (€96), wow! But because of the huge shipping costs and taxes, it all adds up

Did you price the system up at all in Ireland? I got a similar system last year, but not quite as many panels. I just re-calculated what I would have paid for a 5.7kwp system like yours and I would have paid considerably less. And that includes local support and a more known inverter brand (Solis). In fairness I got a very good price, this is not generally available to the public (without a lot of effort). One caveat is that your mounting system looks very expensive, I'd say it wasn't a standard solution like mine was, which cost a fraction of what yours cost (mine is on a steel roof, the easiest and cheapest mounting)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

You should ask for a flash test report for your order. No one ever does this. Each panel is checked and the output measured and recorded. The variation may affect your installation as all panels are not the same. Each panel can then be tested on site before installation. If you need to claim for a failed panel then you have the serial number and test report available. These panels are NOT MCS certified as claimed so maybe not fully honest manufacturer or just an "oversight".

The cables on the panels are very short! Normally 900mm minimum so you can connect panels in series but yours will not reach! If you are using parallel and series configuration will you have sufficient cable and connectors? You only have 50 metres of cable.

The panels of this size are very heavy if you installing on the roof. Minimum 2 man job once you get them up there.

Will the mounting hooks be suitable for your roof type? There are all sorts for different roof coverings and they are not interchangeable.

Have you actually designed the system? This is important. You will need the combiner box if connecting in parallel as the amps will be high and protection will be required. How many ways in the combiner. Where will you site this as possibly many cables required to be fed to it - it cannot go on the roof.

You will need isolaters , generation meter, CU breakers, inverter certification (for Ireland), monitoring equipment (included?), battery cabling, termination lugs, crimping tool, cable conduit/protection and fittings, etc. etc. I would properly design the system and get what you need now as the kit will be expensive here. Who will service the system if it goes off while you are away? It can happen and I suspect will need manual intervention.

Just my take on this and hope it is useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭onedmc

I think with the revenues 60/40 rule, you should really be charged the full 23% VAT. It's mostly a product sale, therefore, it should be the product, not service VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Can anyone give me an idea of how difficult it is to get installers when you're providing the panels and inverter?

I'm guessing most of them want you to buy the gear from them and so won't be too happy with DIY customers?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

On a grant install? I'd say nearly impossible. As the installer has to stand over that all materials used are compliant with the Irish regulations. In particular there is EN50438 certification. That's why there are only a handful of different inverters being installed. Another reason not to go the China route yourself directly, importing non-conform inverters or other materials. You could get into trouble if you ever get an inspection from the ESB (or even fill in the form NC6 needed for exporting)

And of course the installer wants to make a profit on all the bits they use and they can buy at trade discounts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

There was a crowd on FB offering to sub contract out the installation if you bought the parts.

Pm me if you want their details.

SEAI approved installer (required for grant)? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Do u or anyone else know where I can geta copy of that standard? Any place I look it seems to be hidden behind a paywall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nofaolain

Hey unkel, interesting point...i was about to pull the trigger on the China DIY route because all the quotes I got from installers (based on south coast) couldn't compete favourably...the installer you used...was this a 'mates rates' favour or did you just haggle? Keen to know as obviously i'd prefer to go local...however, I've imported from China a lot so have no major fears in doing so. Cheers.

I got them below normal retail price alright directly from the wholesaler. And I have got a lot of stuff from the likes of eBay over the years but finding stuff at good prices takes a lot of time too. The main worry I'd have about importing from China is non-compliance. Not so much for the panels, but for the inverter. You can bypass that if you go for well known brands and models as sold here in Ireland, like most of the Solis range

To compare your Chinese prices (including shipping, import duty and VAT), I would contact the two biggest Irish wholesalers, solartricity.ie and midsummer.ie and see what they can do for you. Getting a discount when buying stuff is the easiest money you will ever make in your life...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Phooq. Panels are nearly double wha I paid for them last year. Everyone is doing the price increase dance!

• Advertisement

That doesn't make sense. What exactly did you buy last year and what are you looking at now? Any links?

I just picked up a load of panels last week and I paid 21% more for them than the exact same panel in May of last year. This difference in cost can largely be explained by the transport cost increase alone. A shipping container 40' from China to Ireland has gone up from roughly $6k to $18k in a year or so and holds 700 panels or so if memory serves me right (all rough figures give or take a few $k), so €15 per panel extra for shipping

Advertisement