Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Make TV Nostalgia?

• 15-03-2022 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

I was just thinking about the show Full House, which never made an impact on me, but realize that many who grew up in the 1980s/1990s it brings back memories, so Netflix brought it back as Fuller House and it got 5 season, is it still running?

And Netflix is returning That 70's Show as That 90's Show.

That 70's Show certainly went downhill towards the end of its run, but its generally considered a classic.

But then you have a series like The Nanny which has better writing and better one liners than Fuller House yet you rarely hear many talking about it.

So what makes nostalgic TV, from the 80s, 90s, 2000s and 2010s?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Was Full House even shown on this side of the pond originally?

Never took to That 70s Show but I was never really a fan of that type of American sitcom.

Something to do with zeitgeist op, and t'capturing of same, plays a big part apparently, in making shows classics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Alot of the US sitcoms never made it here, I cannot ever recall seeing Full House. I do however remember the likes of Mr Belvedere, Silver Spoons and Different Strokes. Id imagine its my age (almost 43) but I would have a fondness for the shows I mention above as i watched them when i was quite young and they gave us an insight into fabulous America that we didnt get to see ordinarily. As for The Nanny, is that the show with yer wan that had an absolutely horrendous voice? It came later (90s iirc?) when I was in my teen years so my tolerence was alot lower for what Id watch. That 70s Show however is a stone cold classic, apart from the season(s) when Eric leaves and is replaced by Randy, I hated that guy.😖

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Full House was on Sky, only ever saw it in friends houses as we didn't have cable.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭cml387

Some 80's shows seem popular for re runs (I see The Golden Girls is on TG4).

No sign of Alf, though.

Family Ties is worth a mention bearing in mind it had Michael J Fox and Justine (sister of Justin) Bateman.

The recent death of Valerie Harper reminds me of her series "Valerie" which I though very good (Rhoda is from the 70's).

• Advertisement

I suppose I am comparing The Nanny to Full House.

I can see why many would dislike The Nanny, including Fran Dresher the main star of the show. It is also very much a "sitcom" but it comes across far more naturally than Full House, whom see to rely heavily on the nod and wink to a one liner, not saying that the cast of The Nanny don't do this but it is certainly better than Full House in terms of writing, wit and acting.

You look at something like 3rd Rock and very rarely to you hear people looking back on it.

______

Yesterday

TG4 currently re-running The Wonder Years (not sure if that is an out and out comedy).

I think there are rights issues with Alf as its one show that rarely if ever got a rerun.

Had a lecturer in college that loved Family Ties, the idea that you had a conservative son from 2 liberal parents.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Shout Factory (a physical media company the US) recently announced they had acquired the rights to Alf so it will likely get a blu ray release at some point in the future.

Even take something like The Brady Bunch from the 1960s, how did that become a touchstone of 60s TV and other better comedy are rarely referenced, e.g. Get Smart or Stanford and Son.

______

Yesterday

Brady Bunch was more 70s, original run 1969-74.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The answer is good writing and a good cast, some examples, cheers ,frasier, the office ,friends,fawlty towers, parks and rec,seinfeld.i think the nanny is entertaining ,she is playing a jewish character, the voice is part of her charm, like janice in friends.her voice is part of the character ,its supposed to be funny.I think some tv shows are forgotten now because they may be funny but the characters are just simple sterotypes and the jokes are sexist or old fashioned .Every character in the the office or friends has a distinct character, eg chandler is funny and sarcastic ,they are not all trying to be funny all the time. A comedy with a good script can be watched 10 or 20 years after its shown on tv .one example friends, they phone or recieve texts on a basic phone, no one uses social media or smartphones ,it was made before smartphones were invented .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Get Smart was brilliant as a kid to watch at the time

Sanford and Son I don't think was shown over here and was just a remake of Steptoe and son anyway which was excellent

Get Smart, the Monkees, HR Puffinstuff, the Bearcats, Star Trek, Batman. A lot of shows I remember fondly from Saturday mornings 8n the 80s on RTE were reruns of 60s/early 70s. I think a lot of them found more viewers than they would have got when they were originally shown, certainly the case of the original Star Trek series.

Post edited by Hangdogroad on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

There was a remake of The Wonder Years released last year, except with a black family. I haven't seen it but it doesn't look too promising. I'm sure I'm not the target market, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

'what you talkin bout? Willis'

Don't really under stand that, is "Everybody Hates Chris" not a similar series.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement