Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Immersion reset button - how to access it

• 14-03-2022 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Immersion light goes on but doesn't heat water before I call out a plumber someone mentioned pressing the reset button.

Anyone able to tell me how to access this reset button? I've turned off the electricity and tried getting a pen and pushing down the red button but it doesn't move. Do I need to unscrew the black thing or the whole grey cover?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's really coincidental - I tried resetting one of these in a relatives' house last week and I noticed almost the exact same thing as the red reset button was sideways and wasn't hitting off it's intended switch.

BTW - just a warning - that metal bell cover is missing it's retaining nut, so it's loose - please don't remove yours unless you have fully isolated the tank and you know exactly what you are doing as there are unprotected electrical connections under it.

Anyhow... when I removed mine I saw this:

If you see where the blue and the brown wire go down to the small white disk (ringed in red) - that's the reset button.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Thank you 10-10-20. So just to be clear - the red button should be the reset button cover and I should be able to press it but most likely it is not covering the real reset button correctly?

I don't really know what I am doing apart from making sure the electricity is off, the immersion switch on RCB board is down and the immersion switch on the immersion is off. I worry about how long it will take to find a plumber especially if it is just a reset switch that needs pressing.

Do you think it is a bad idea to turn off the electricity, turn off the immersion switch etc and take the bell cover off (if that is what the grey thing is called and if it is easy to do) and try find and press the reset switch? If you think this is a job for a plumber only then I will go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It should be! If you can get a better photo of the top of the element than I did (mine was in a very enclosed space) we can probably be more confident.

If you're doing that, please isolate the power to the tank by flipping the associated marked breaker in the main fuse-panel and also turn off both switches (sink/bath - power) before doing so. Lift the cover straight off and try get a shot of the location indicated above.

Advertisement