Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roofing Valley Trim.

Options
  • 14-03-2022 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello, I have a roof which is not that old with a valley, the roofer also installed slate trim along the edge of the slate (he has since moved abroad ), there's water getting through the roof near the end of the rafter around where the valley ends, its difficult the see what's happening, Luckily the interior of the building isn't plastered or completed yet so viewing the underside of the roof is possible, the water is leaking down the outside wall and is in just one spot, I was told that the valley is the issue and it needs to be cut back or removed ? has anyone any ideas about slate trim causing issues in roof valleys ?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭bfclancy2

brother had similar issue on his house, water was making its way in behind the valley trim and back into a rafter eventually making its way into sitting room ceiling resulting in saturated plasterboard in the ceiling. he got a roofer out and he drilled holes in the valley trim all the way up along the valley to let the water out, seemed to do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 3 john777laoi

thank you very very much BF, that’s brilliant to hear, I was going to get a tin snipes that would manage the job, my problem was I had no real confidence I was doing the right thing and that the issue may continue after - it’s great to hear that your brother got it sorted, thank you again BF, your advice is very well appreciated !

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Staleturnips

Valley trims look nice but are well known (to experienced roofers) to be problematic especially on low angle pitches. Leaf litter and even frost can block the drainage hole and cause issues.

I used them on one of the first houses I built and it resulted in a leak inside, thankfully before any internal works were underway.

IIRC I cut the lip of the trim off with a small angle grinder, I slipped a rip of 1/4 ply or similar under the trim to protect the lead and then cut away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 john777laoi

Thank you Staleturnips, that’s brilliant info, sounds exactly my problem, the lads that came to see it tried cutting with an angle grinder but it was making a mess of it so they stopped, your way of doing it is fantastic, it would get the job down correctly, currently the inside is not finished either so that’s a plus - the water so far seems to be outside the wall cavity on the exterior, it will fail inside if I don’t get it sorted fast though - thank you very much again for your help 👍 - John

Advertisement